Go Bottom Go Bottom

Size of Kubota

View my Photos
seib
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-19          123036

I just purchased a 4 acre, wooded lot with a medium down grade (5 to 20 degree). It has fallen timber and dense brush. I have a small cleared yard with little grass. There are modest supply of rocks. I would like to cut, split and haul wood to house, cut walking trail, and clear 10-15 ft Rhododendrum area to sit at small stream. No snow to speak of in Asheville NC. Roads are gravel. What size Kuboto would you recommend and accessories?
Thanks for any help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Size of Kubota

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-19          123037

I'd guess something in the BX series would work fine. If you need to dig rocks and stumps a backhoe, like the BX23/24 have, would be nice. A rotary cutter for clearing brush too. ....

Size of Kubota

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-19          123061

Go with the B-series. The extra weight and full Cat-1 3-point will be worth the extra money. The BX series have a limited Cat-1 hitch that you might find is not right for the clearing work you want to do.

The BX is a great machine, but you might find a sub-comact too limited for what you want to do. ....

Size of Kubota

View my Photos
Art White

2006-01-19          123063

I could agree with Beagle for the part of initial clean up but after that the B would be to larger for storage and the hoe mount on a BX is one of the best and yet to be designed for strength. The BX will take a little longer to get the job done but it will be better for the long run for an ideal package. ....

Size of Kubota

View my Photos
bvance

2006-01-19          123067

I've got a BX23 for 2 wooded acres sounds similar to yours. I love it. There is very little I can't do. I will agree with Beagle, that there are some times where I have to go slower or work it around some spots but it does just fine. I also agree that once you get the heavier stuff done, the BX would be perfect. ....

Size of Kubota

View my Photos
mscott6799

2006-01-20          123068

I bought a BX23 about 13 months ago and have almost 250 hours on it. When I got it I had planned to keep it about a year put in some drainage field and resale it. After having seen what it will accomplish I don't think I can maintain my 10 acres without it unless I could trade up to the BX24. Just size the implement to it and it will do the job. ....

Size of Kubota

View my Photos
jarndt

2006-01-20          123070

Don't be fooled by the small stature of the BX. It is really a much bigger machine disguised in a smaller package. If you will be working in the woods or other tight areas, nothing beats a BX in manuverability. ....

Size of Kubota

View my Photos
jarndt

2006-01-20          123071

Attachments:
Mid mount mower for finish mowing.
48" box blade for gravel road maint and to cut walking trail.
Backhoe for digging rocks and clearing trees.
FEL for moving said rocks and firewood.
3PH wood splitter. (runs off the tractor's hydraulics)
Rent a walk behind field and brush mower for knocking down dense brush.

Size of Kubota

View my Photos
levalen

2006-01-20          123093

My BX23 is as amazing monster in a small machine. It tears, rips, digs, pushes, plows, pulls etc. ....you get the idea. Sometimes my smaller machine can get into spaces that would be prohibitive for a larger one and it gets the job done and done well. I sometimes transport it in my 7' X 14' enclosed trailer to a job site. I gotta stop because I could go on and on about how much I love this Kubota on my 3 acres. ....

Size of Kubota

View my Photos
botamac

2006-01-20          123115

You would be very surprised what a BX 23/24 can do. Would a larger tractor be better, Yes I would have to agree with others on that for some things, when I needed the bigger equipment I called in a friend and he helped out with his big Caterpillar it would take him 5 min. to rip out a 2 foot dia. Stump where it would take me a couple hours to dig around it, but then again when I had to remove 80 stumps his excavator was faster. Now that all the big stuff is done my BX23 is a great tractor, I have a 5 foot 3PH rear blade and the Kubota 5 foot front blade for snow removal (since I live in Michigan) that works off the FEL joy stick I use this to clear my new 450 foot long drive way and it works great. All in all my BX23 is a good size for my 2.25 acres I also have the 60 inch MMM for mowing the grass. My neighbor has a Kubota B 20 and laughed at my BX till he saw what it can do. The choice is up to you, sometimes bigger is not always better. Good luck.. ....

Size of Kubota

View my Photos
seib

2006-01-23          123276

Thanks for the tips and sizing suggestions. I have seen some used tractors on EBAY. What have you found to be good place for used compact Kubota B series tractors??
Thanks for any insight ....

Size of Kubota

View my Photos
MisterMike

2006-01-23          123286

Look into a compact tractor of around 30 horse power, plus (not minus). Even with a compact, there will be times when you wish for a bigger one. The B series are just to small, unless you have two life times to get things done. ....

Size of Kubota

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-01-23          123289

Is there shale in your soil? Lots of boulders to dig and move? Will you be running drainage pipe over time? Want to dig up some 8 foot trees and transplant them? Then a weightier 30HP tractor as MisterMike suggests could be appropriate. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login