Go Bottom Go Bottom

B3400 and Allied 8FT Snowblower

View my Photos
Zippy-Do-Da
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-04          122232

I know, 8Ft. You probably think this is way too much for this size of a tractor. I got a great deal on it and intend to use it for blowing only a couple inches of snow at a time. I have tested this in 1.5 Ft of snow and works great, the only problem is that the second stage doesnt seem to throw the snow much past a foot of either side of the snowblower. I am not sure if this blower is 1000rpm or 540, which could be the issue. I don't believe it is a 1000rpm as the first stage of the snowblower(pulls snow to the center of the blower) spins at a pretty high rate already at 540rpm. If it was at 1000rpm, I think this would be spinning way to fast. Any Ideas what I could look at? Is it possibly the 3 Fan blades on the second stage that has too much clearence between the blade and the housing?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-04          122239

"I know, 8Ft. You probably think this is way too much for this size of a tractor."

Unless your tractor has about 90hp at the PTO, yes you're right. Also, the 1200 pounds or so the blower weighs will be a challenge just to move around.

It is a 540rpm machine, the only Allied blower that runs at 1,000rpm is the 8'6" one, the 8' & 9' models are 540rpm.

Generally speaking, when the fan is shooting snow far enough it is for one of two reasons, not enouh material is being fed in, likely in this case, or it is simply not turning at 540rpm. If you have a tach and can verify the rpm's then it is low feed rate. The fan only starts it moving, it is the snow behind that pushes it to give you distance.

"I got a great deal on it...." You may not think it's such a great deal when it eats the PTO clutch in your tractor and you're looking at a big repair bill to split the tractor and do the clutch & flywheel.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Zippy-Do-Da

2006-01-04          122240

Oh well....I guess I will have to sell this to my uncle. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-04          122243

Zip,

Could this be the reason to buy a larger tractor?

kt

View my Photos
Zippy-Do-Da

2006-01-04          122245

Na, mine is large enough. I saw this deal, and for $750 CND I couldn't pass it up. I had no time to research snowblowers, and new this was too large. I just figure I would only use it to blow smaller amounts of snow. Either way I already have a buyer for a $1000, or I will advertise it for $1200. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-04          122248

Zip,

What! You can have a large enough tractor? Is that possible?

I know you can have one too large for the shed but, can we not build a bigger shed?

It is a wise man that knows what is needed and when to say enough.

kt ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-01-05          122273

ROFLMAO, this reminds me of the story about the little boy who was asked if he knew the difference between "enough" and "sufficient". He replied that he certainly did.

"When my Mom dishes me some ice cream it's 'sufficient', when I serve myself I get 'enough'......"

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-01-06          122360

Zip, the problem is the paddle fan clearance. Is it a single auger unit, I hope. I'd sell a 76 or 78" for the right snow conditions with a L-3400. ....

View my Photos
Zippy-Do-Da

2006-01-25          123479

Opps mad a mistake which everyone probably new already, I have an L3400, not a B. What was I thinking, anyway... yes the blower has a single auger. 76"-78" would probably be the cat's meow, so when I sell this I will down size by a foot or so. We recently had a 5-10cm snowfall, and that seemed to help through the snow a lot better. It doesn't seem hard on my tractor at all, RPM's stay constant, come to think of it my 5.5ft bush mower seems to put more of a strain on my tractor. I think as long as I am only blowing fresh snow, and not compacted snow or snow banks I should be alright. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-01-27          123639

A single stage unit if designed right can blow fresh fallen snow just as well as a two stage can. When you get into cleaning up old plow leavings you can get into trouble with bent augers. ....

View my Photos
Zippy-Do-Da

2006-02-01          123924

It is a 2 Stage, with single auger. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login