Go Bottom Go Bottom

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
ben
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-26          121742

Just bought a L3400 with HST and Kabota loader. I am happy with the tractor and beleive it will do the work I have planned on my 25 acre mostly wooded land. My one concern is the tin-e noise that seems to be coming from the HST. I don't hear the noise when the cluth is depressed. Can anyone tell me if this is normal for this HST? When I accelerate the noise gets louder, but the tractor has plenty of power. Thanks for any input, Ben

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-26          121747

Have you driven a HST before? They do have a tendency to whine. Hard to tell from here if it's normal or not. ....

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
Ben

2005-12-26          121748

Never driven an HST before. I,ve looked in the manual and can,t find a way to check the fluid except to look at the inspection window. It's a solid yellow color. Ben ....

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-26          121749

Keeping the transmission in the lowest gear range that allows you to get your work done does help reduce the amount of whinning noise. ....

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-26          121755

Ben,
I have a B and the HST on it whines also. As to checking fuild level using a check glass (mine uses dipstick) clear clean fluid can be hard to tell level of in a glass. If you don't see a difference it can be low or overfilled. I was using self contained hyd piece of equipment and though it was low, surpised to realize it was greatly overfilled.

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-26          121760

It's really important that the machine be on level ground when checking fluid. On my green machine only a few degrees of slope can really change what appears in the sight glass. ....

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
beagle

2005-12-27          121776

Low Gear is the best solution to keep the whine to a minimum. Put a can on that tractor and you need aer protection. The cab traps the whine something terrible.

Still prefer the HST over gear. Just need to get used to the whine. ....

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-27          121781

Beagle hit a truth to me on mine and one reason I don't notice whine that much...I always wear ear protection. When I rev up my motor for the HST and mower, it will affect your hearing. ....

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-27          121789

I usually wear a logging helment with face shield and ear muffs when driving mine. The face shield is needed to protect from tree branches that always hit the operator when working in the woods (95% of what we do). And since the helmet has ear muffs, why not use 'em? ....

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-27          121792

ks,
I told a friend this morning to use ear muffs over ear plugs when cutting with his rough cut rotary cutter (Bush Hog). Why? So when the limbs hit your ears they are protected. Logger helmet better solution.
kt ....

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
Gearhead

2005-12-27          121812

The sight glass is white when ther is no oil over it especially when new. I have found that ther will be a small air bubble trapped in the top of the glass when full but it might go away. As long as you don,t see all white your ok.

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
Gearhead

2005-12-27          121813

The sight glass is white when ther is no oil over it especially when new. I have found that ther will be a small air bubble trapped in the top of the glass when full but it might go away. As long as you don,t see all white your ok.

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
liam51

2005-12-29          121860

Ive qwned two HST's, a 2710, and a 3130 presently. I guess Ive never heard this whine that you describe on either. Neither one had/has a cab. ....

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
MisterMike

2005-12-30          121975

I've had an HST for four years and from the first day, noticed the "mechanical, loose sounding, gear noise" when the transmission is in neutral. Especially when the oil is hot as after mowing a pasture. My dealer told me that the HST produced more noise than a standard tranission and not to worry. I've used both the standard UDT and the Super UDT hydralic oil with no changes in noise. The tractor still work perfectly. I'm teaching myself not to notice the noise. ....

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
Ben

2005-12-30          121993

I've been told that the old Grand 30 HST's are being used in the L2800 and L3400. Does anyone know if the newer feather step HST's now being used in the Grand 30's are as noisey as the older style ? ....

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
fawcekj

2005-12-31          122062

I've got a 2003 Grand L3130-HST and the only time I notice a prominet tin-e whine is if I have forgotten to release the brakes or have left the bucket dug in to the ground and tring to move fwd or bkwd. Kind of lets you know your doing something wrong. ....

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
ccsial

2006-01-02          122128

If the site glass is all yellow on level ground it is over full. You will see the yellow/white when it is a proper level. This wll not really hurt anything though unless it is way over full.

The tinny rattle sound that goes away when you press the clutch in is normal.

The whine when operating is also normal. Kubota recommends running the engines of HST rigs at PTO speed. This minimizes the whine.

Use the lowest range practical for the work your doing.

But most important, enjoy your L3400. ....

L3400 HST noise

View my Photos
Ben

2006-01-02          122152

I did see the Yellow/white line you talk about by putting some down pressure on the loader bucket. and thanks, I'm sure I will enjoy my new tractor. Ben ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login