Go Bottom Go Bottom

the right tire

View my Photos
ben
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-06          120537

I plan on buying a L3400 for use on my 25acre mostly hardwood land. the tractor will be used mostly in the woods to haul out firewood. it will have a loader and will be also used to spread dirt. what kind of tires should i get? AG or INDUSTIAL

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

the right tire

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-06          120538

In our clay soil you couldn't pay me to put R4s back on my tractor. Tried them and they had lousy traction in wet OR dry. They would work better in a sandier soil or on turf. A lot depends on your soil conditions. ....

the right tire

View my Photos
BEN

2005-12-06          120539

We have clay soil here too. wet at least half the year. I was told the AG tires might dig in too deep and that the R4 might be a better choice. I doubt this too. Are the R4'S cheaper ? Is that why the dealer might be recommending the R4'S ? ....

the right tire

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-06          120540

The ag tires do dig in, but the alternative is to lose traction. My experience with R4s was that they plug up easy and lose all traction. The R1s are a lot more resistant to plugging and tend to self-clean (throw off mud in chunks). Price was about the same. Where are you located? ....

the right tire

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-06          120541

To clarify, on most JD tractors AG tires are standard. R4s cost extra, and the R1s I now have are an upgrade from the standard tires - bigger and with 8-way adjustable rims. The upgraded R1s cost about as much as the R4 upgrade. ....

the right tire

View my Photos
ben

2005-12-06          120542

I live in Mass. all the compact tractors i see at the dealers seem to have either industrial or turf tires. I,ll question the dealer on this. I also will be using the tractor in the snow. thanks for the help. BEN ....

the right tire

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-06          120544

Take a look at my pictures 5 & 6 to see what clay-plugged R4s look like. ....

the right tire

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-06          120546

As there is little clay in MA I would recommend the turf as they will be best in the snow. ....

the right tire

View my Photos
Art White

2005-12-06          120547

Industrial tires are the most expensive of the choices you have. The dealer should know what is the best for the area. Here in central NY we have it all from the sand to the clay to muck rock and some of the nicest top soil to be found. We also have all four seasons so we get the best and the worst of every type. You speak of mainly back forty work and between the turf and the industrial there would only be one choice and that would be the industrial. The reason being is the pulling and non clogging action of the bar type tire, it would only be better to have the ag tire if the tractor was only for back forty and not on the lawn. The industrial, a wider lower profile bar doesn't have the ability to pull as much soil loose as the ag tire to grab well in tight soil but on most lawns fine. ....

the right tire

View my Photos
Art White

2005-12-06          120548

Industrial tires are the most expensive of the choices you have. The dealer should know what is the best for the area. Here in central NY we have it all from the sand to the clay to muck rock and some of the nicest top soil to be found. We also have all four seasons so we get the best and the worst of every type. You speak of mainly back forty work and between the turf and the industrial there would only be one choice and that would be the industrial. The reason being is the pulling and non clogging action of the bar type tire, it would only be better to have the ag tire if the tractor was only for back forty and not on the lawn. The industrial, a wider lower profile bar doesn't have the ability to pull as much soil loose as the ag tire to grab well in tight soil but on most lawns fine. ....

the right tire

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-12-07          120572

I use my L3130 much like you plan on using yours. I've had very good service out of the AG tires. If you plan on using them out in the woods in the snow they really shine and should be much better than the wider R4s with less tread depth. I've used mine for logging the past two winters and in loose or packed snow they have excellent traction.
Dave ....

the right tire

View my Photos
daveinnh

2005-12-07          120648

We have Kubota L4310 w/ Ag tires that work well on our 58 acre property in central NH with no clay (i.e. the gRanite State). As others have offered, they have good traction, self-clean, and work well in snow w/o chains. I should point out that our lawn (on the 58 acre property) is about 10' x 20' that the Stihl weedwhipper services 2x/month (not counting the horseshoe pit).

the right tire

View my Photos
BEN

2005-12-08          120662

MY lawn is about 20 x 30 not including the fire pit. I do mow a small field and around my 35 apple trees. As Art mentioned I will be using the tractor mostly for back 40 work. I'm mostly hearing that AG's would be my best bet. Thanks for all the input. BEN ....

the right tire

View my Photos
ampebob

2005-12-08          120666

I too was disappointed with the industrials any time I happened to be in or on ice snow or clay. But they are an excellent choice for yards, meadows and forest lanes. My solution was to install chains when working in the "rough". ....

the right tire

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-08          120677

I had a Case tractor a few years ago with radial farm tires on it (Goodyear I think). They did not run the lugs as many farm tires did but were split and sort of looked like a mix between farm and turf tire (pull ag tire in their book). Best pulling tires I have ever used and were easy on turf due to how many short lugs they had. Use it on turf and it left very little foot print. They were about twice the price of the normal ag tire. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login