Go Bottom Go Bottom

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
BX23Fan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-30          118679

Hi,

I need to dig a 40' drainage line in my front yard to address a run-off problem (puddling). I plan to use a perforated PVC pipe with a filter sleave surrounding it.

Anyway, here's my question:

I plan to use the backhoe on my BX-23 to do the trench digging, but this seems a bit slow given that I'll need to repeatedly dig approximately 3', turn the seat around, pull forward another 3', turn the seat around, then repeat the process. Not exactly the quickest technique, so I'm curious if there are any better ways of getting the job done with the BX-23. Because this will be done on an existing lawn, I don't plan to use the stabilizers or else they'll probably damage the lawn.

Advice appreciated...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
jarndt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-31          118682

You could look into a 3PH trencher. I don't know if one exists that will fit the BX23, but it would eliminate the dig-move-dig cycle. ....

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
jarndt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-31          118683

I should have mentioned this earlier... Always use your stabilizers! If you are concerned about the lawn, make up some pads out of scrap lumber to distribute the load over a larger area. Besides preventing tipover why should you always use your stabilizers? To save your rear axle. It is simply not designed to take that kind of abuse. Chances are you will bend or break something. ....

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
jimbrown

2005-10-31          118692

I have dug several hundred feet of trench with my BX22. I never turn the seat around. I raise the bucket to clear the ground raise the stabilizers enought to clear the ground and simply reach back with my arm and press the hydro pedal takes longer to type than to do it. I have found it digs better if you keep the bucket as far to the rear as you can and still dig. ....

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-10-31          118693

I have used the same technique as jimbrown and it works very well.

I also would caution to put the stabilizers down. ....

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
rlsmith

2005-10-31          118696

I have dug hundreds of feet with the BX23 and have hardly ever get off the seat to move the machine. I just lift the stabilizer and the front FEL and use the back hoe to move me forward and reverse and side to side. Oh to make the tractor move easier put the tractor in neutral and just push or pull your self where you need to go. You can use the steering to help guide you also. Another hint put the tractor back in gear it just helps keep it from moving. ....

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
duke8444

2005-10-31          118698

I have an L2850, not that it matters much. However, the last drain line I put in this summer, I just borrowed a single disk plow and dug the ditch. I lowered the plow and then just drow forward and then backed up and did it two more times. I ended up with a nice 18-20 inches deep ditch with like "0" work. I installed the pipe and then covered the ditch back over with my box blade. ....

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-11-01          118742

That would work where the top soil is deep and rich, but not where there are big rocks to fish out and not on my hardpan covered with sand. ....

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
Art White

2005-11-04          118890

As far as having the stabilizers down and making a mess where were you figuring on putting the soil from your trench while digging? ....

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
BX23Fan

2005-11-04          118892

Art -- the dirt would just be placed on the side of the trench. I'll hand-rake it back into the trench shortly thereafter and hopefully avoid any real damage to the grass. I'll have to re-seed the area over the trench line, of course. ....

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
jimbrown

2005-11-04          118900

I just today dug a 40ft trench 14in deep for an electric line I am putting in for a Spa. The amount of dirt is copious there is no way I could rake it back in the trench. Push it in with the loader ,yes, rake it would take a week. Plus it always seems there is left over dirt when I dig trenches. ....

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
BX23Fan

2005-11-04          118901

Thanks for the warning... In that case, I'll probably just use the box scraper to push most of the dirt back in the trench (keeping the blade off the turf) and then hand-rake the rest. ....

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
Peters

2005-11-04          118902

If you know you are going to get it back in the trench quickly. Laying out PE sheeting (thicker not very thin) and then placing the soil on the sheeting helps you pick it back off the grass and get it back in the trench. The soil takes a while to recompact so you really need the soil later or you end up with a depression. ....

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
PaulPrince

2005-11-04          118932

I dug a 1000 foot trench for drainage at the side of a dirt road. It's in rocky/sandy hardpan, so was not quick.
I've always worried that I may have stressed the backhoe. I drove forward with backhoe down, keeping it just below surface, making many passes and stopping to dig out rocks and roots. Seems to have worked OK, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it in general. In soft soil it would work good, but to avoid over stressing the backhoe I'd just dig a couple inches in each pass. ....

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-11-05          118959

I think that would be the right way to use a middle buster/sub-soiler attachment, but a good way to break a really nice backhoe. ....

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
antons987

2005-11-09          119157

I just completed trenching a quarter mile, 12" deep for a
soon to be buried power line. Yes, rotating the seat is not
a very easy or efficient process. I just get up, turn around
and kneel on the seat, using the steering wheel as a semi-backrest (loader and stabilizers down, always!) after
moving forward. If my legs begin to ache I alternate with
just reaching backward....but find that the latter hurts my
shoulder. ....

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
Kendews

2005-11-18          119524

I just finished digging a 900x2 foot trench for electric service. I had to spin the seat backward and forward many times cuz I was working mostly on steep slopes. After a while It got pretty quick and easy. After pushing the rocks and dirt back in, I drove the tractor along the trench with the two right wheels on the fluffed up fill. This did a good job packing in down into the trench. ....

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-11-19          119535

1*I'll need to repeatedly dig approximately 3', turn the seat around, pull forward another 3', turn the seat around, then repeat the process.

2*I don't plan to use the stabilizers as they'll probably damage the lawn.
====================
You don't have to do it that way:
I do it like so.
1*Lift the BH Bucket around 6 '' Keeping it straight out from the tractor. Don't have the boom swung to the left or right.
2-Lift the stabilizers about 6'' off the ground.
3-Raise the FEL bucket about the same.
4-With your left hand push the treadle pedal down and the tractor pulls forward. I keep a 1x2 about 18 inches long laying on the BH foot rest**saves stretching so far to reach the pedal.
Let off the pedal when you get to the place you want the tractor to stop.
5-Reset the stabilizers & FEL bucket and you're ready to dig again. No getting on and off or seat turning required.

2*An excellent way to upset the tractor.
*Never operate the BH without the stabilizers and FEL down.
I'd be a lot more concerned about damaging my tractor and my body than scuffing up the lawn some.
You can fix any yard damage (What do you think the tractor is for?) a lot cheeper easier and quicker than you can the tractor or your body.

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-11-19          119536

just lift the stabilizer and the front FEL put the tractor in neutral
==============
I cringed when I read this:
It's a recipe to take off on a down hill ride you don't want to take.

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
Kendews

2005-11-22          119711

"It's a recipe to take off on a down hill ride you don't want to take."
Yeah, and you will probably be riding backwards. On the plus side, the tractor will likely knock most things out of the way when you hit them. ....

Trenching with the BX-23

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-23          119740

I have a friend that uses a single shank subsoiler to bury pipe and such. He fastens the pipe to the suboiler and it will pull the pipe into the ground and bury it in a simple single step. Of course the pipe or wire must be smaller diameter than the hole cut by the subsoiler point. Now we don't have many rocks in our ground. Have seen subsoiler (many commercial ones for telephone lines) with big sweeping type elbow on them to feed the wire/pipe into used to a good bit in this area. The elbow must come out above ground and is turned to the rear of the plow. For my yard digging it was much better to use a trencher. Rented right reasonable. Again, no rocks. Agree with use of plastic or cardboard for dirt on grass. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login