Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel Exhaust

View my Photos
Gary M
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-23          118324

I have a 3830 with 118 hrs. on it that runs fine but seems to have a a very rich smelly exhaust.I Don't see how this can pass California emissions. Is there any adjust. to the injectors or air fuel mixture? I am still under warranty

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Diesel Exhaust

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-23          118327

Are you saying you have to submit your tractor for a smog test? ....

Diesel Exhaust

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-23          118332

Surely you gest. My thoughts exactly Mark. What's next........lawnmowers and weed trimmers? ....

Diesel Exhaust

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-10-23          118334

Well, it *is* California.... ....

Diesel Exhaust

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-23          118338

Yeah Ken, gotta take that into consideration. Heck cows belch and fart more green house gases than all the tractor, lawnmowers, and weed trimmers combined. Guess the "Peoples Republic of California" will start testing cows next........ and why not pizza and beer consumers like me too! ;O) ....

Diesel Exhaust

View my Photos
BrendonN

2005-10-23          118342

The individual states do not have differing emissions standards for off-highway vehicles like they do for road vehicles. The EPA sets the federal standards and equipment manufacturers must build machines that comply with the current regs at the time of manufacturer. If the OEM purchases a third party engine, such as a Cummins or Caterpillar, the engine manufacturer approves the installation and certifies that the engine meets the standards. To the best of my knowledge, there are no emissions testing programs anywhere in the US to ensure machines stay clean like there are for road vehicles. This means that the tractors sold in California are no different than those sold anywhere else in the US. And, since the EPA regulations are a multi-year, phase-in program starting with the higher horsepower machines, the small tractors can stay "dirtier" for a longer time before the standards effect them. ....

Diesel Exhaust

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2005-10-24          118348

Yikes,my weed wacker has a catalytic converter and everything is going 4 stroke for this reason.
I still have an ace in the hole, I inform every tree hugger that wants to fight a real FACT.
Mt St. Hellens dumped more sulfer dioxide into the atmosphere than the whole 150 years of modern machinery.
Dont get me wrong,I dispose of used oil,anti freeze and other hazzard materials properly and keep all my machines tuned is the responsible thing to do.
AND burning a tree is looking better than drilling in Alaska????

Heck the next thing is to use bio diesel, the smell of the french fies and peanut oil will make you hungry,you get fat from eating ,sue a fast food eatery,get rich and then pay some else to do the work !!!! This is how its done in New York. ....

Diesel Exhaust

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-10-24          118349

A question sort of on this topic I wondered on this weekend, what is the difference between: diesel fuel, fuel oil and jet fuel. I don't mean kerosene. ....

Diesel Exhaust

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-10-24          118350

Getting back on topic here.....Gary, you likely need nothing more complicated than a timing adjust. Unlike gasoline engines though - where the spark delivery is timed - fuel delivery is timed on diesels. Check your owner's manual for guidance on injection pump timing.

//greg// ....

Diesel Exhaust

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-24          118351

We kinda did drift a bit off topic. On older Kubota injection pumps; there was a smoke control adjustment. I believe it had 3 positions. I am not sure if all Kubota's had this or if this adjustment is still incorporated into the pump. I am sure Art can clear that up for us. At 118 hours it is highly unlikely but check to make sure the air filter is not obstructed. ....

Diesel Exhaust

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-24          118352

Below is a link to the question about the differences between diesel, kerosene, and jet fuels. I believe the author of the piece is incorrect in stating that diesel has a septane rating. The article is still a pretty good primer on the differences in the fuels. Diesel has a cetane rating. ....

Link:   The difference beween Diesel Fuel and kerosene

Diesel Exhaust

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-24          118355

I would take that post down. I am not convinced Mr. Laney knows what he is talking about, even if he was cleaning tank engines. Diesel fuel value is normally rated in cetane value. Straight cetane = 100. Cetane is n-hexadecane 16 carbons long. Gasoline is n-octane or 8 carbons. I have no idea where he gets septane (7 carbons) from. In a good distillation column you would not get septane with the n-hexadecane fraction. They may blend in lighter fractions for #1 but I have never seen a rating on a diesel. ....

Diesel Exhaust

View my Photos
Gearhead

2005-10-24          118393

Is just rich smelling or are you seeing black smoke. Ther is a adjustment for the air fuel mixture but shouldn't be messed with, plus it has a so called locked cap on it. Check your air inlet. Could be timing, a faulty nozzle overfueling, low compression on one cylinder, poor fuel quality. It's under warrenty so take it in. All kubota engines are set to california specs i think. ....

Diesel Exhaust

View my Photos
Art White

2005-10-25          118420

At 118 hours you haven't even started to break-in the engine so I'd be trying to compare it to another like tractor for smoking condititions. Types of fuel could make a difference in the amount of smoke but stick with straight diesel fuel or with an additive. Kubota's normally burn very clean compared to other diesel engines and there could be another problem as simple as a plugged air cleaner. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login