Go Bottom Go Bottom

Holy Tip over BATMAN

View my Photos
leebo95
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-22          118276

4 hours on my machine and I tipped it over today. I had driven tractors all through school but it has been a few years. Today the b7500 slid on a slope grabbed and tipped. I dove well clear of it and it was not that big of a deal but I am real suprised that they would tap that easy. I have a lot of hours on old tricycle tire FarmAls and dozed and back hoe time but this was a first.
Any suggestions on how to make these less tipy?
Lee

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Holy Tip over BATMAN

View my Photos
BenEAmonette

2005-10-22          118280

What kind of tires do you have and are they loaded? In addition, it sounds like you were not wearing your seatbelt. If not, and your ROPS isn't folded, then wear it...always. Fortunately, only your feelings are hurt, but you could just as easily squashed. Glad you are okay, and always error on the side of caution. ....

Holy Tip over BATMAN

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-22          118282

Your wheels are adjusstable and they should be adusted all the way out for working on steep terrain. ....

Holy Tip over BATMAN

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-23          118299

Side slopes are bad. Wet grass makes them worse. R4 tires should be banded on light compacts. The only thing worse than R4 tires with lots of air in them on wet side slope grass is a bulldozer on side slope ice pac.

Any tire will slide down a slimy side slope so I really should not flatout condem R4's but they are noted for a lack of side slope ability in the construction field also.

Soft tires will roll the bead off the rim, on dry side slopes, tire goes flat. (Any Tire) Weight shift and tractor goes over. Something to keep in mind for all the ones who tell you how important a sideslope meter is, that it will save your tractor and you.

Never drive across side slopes expecially wet or damp ones. Always drive up and down. ....

Holy Tip over BATMAN

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-10-23          118311

Glad you weren't hurt, it could have been much worse. Ditto what others have said, wear your seatbelt, keep your ROPS up and locked, and R4's are the worst for rollovers. Look at my pics! After my rollover I don't even drive across the driveway without belting myself in. ....

Holy Tip over BATMAN

View my Photos
leebo95

2005-10-23          118314

Thanks for the replies, now for more questions, what are R4 tires? I am guessing they are the Industrial tread I have seen. Mine has Turf tires...
So now my rims are set out as far as possible, is there any product that allows you to set out further???
Chains would have helped for traction but I don’t know about side traction?
Would weighted wheels/Filled tires have helped?
I am still a bit pissed by it.
Leebo

Holy Tip over BATMAN

View my Photos
JerryG

2005-10-23          118315

I don't know the layout of your place, but any area that is over about 15* needs to be traversed up and down only. Even at 15* you have to make sure that there is no large rocks,logs or dips. An obstacle like that can change the angle from safe to dangerous really fast. ....

Holy Tip over BATMAN

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-10-23          118335

Anything that will lower the center of gravity (ballast) will help but the best thing is to go up and down hills, not across. Even if you're traversing and feeling safe a wheel could drop in a big hole and cause an upset quickly. If you absolutely have to go across there are machines designed for side hill work. These compact tractors can be mighty tippy, as you found out. ....

Holy Tip over BATMAN

View my Photos
beagle

2005-10-23          118340

What has been said about staying away from traversing side slopes is the best advise. Wheel weights are a good source of stability ballast because of there distance away from the pivot point of tipping. Whenever the center of gravity (which includes the operator) passes over the point of the downhill wheels, your are in tipping mode. Adding wheel weights moves the center of gravity uphill and adds some stability to the machine. Loaded rear wheels also help counter balance the tipping moment.

Sliding downhill makes thing even worse, since your momentum adds to the tipping moment. Ballast the machine with weight at or below the rear axle, and stay away from side slopes as much as possible, and strap in. Your ROPS works best with operator strapped in.

I have R-4s on my 7810, and have no complaints. The type of tread you need depends on your uses and the type of soil you have. ....

Holy Tip over BATMAN

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-10-23          118343

Not sure what Kubota tire options are, but on my JD the R4 industrials come with single piece rims and the R1s are available with 8-way adjustable rims. The 8-way rims can be set to a much wider footprint than the single piece rims. In my pic 11 you can see that the R1s are well outside the fenders. The original R4s were mostly inside the fenders at their widest position. ....

Holy Tip over BATMAN

View my Photos
harvey

2005-10-24          118356

Turf tires have lots of potential for side slip. Especially if the air pressure is high.

Check make sure you do not have to much air in them. Any tire if it has too much air will reduce your traction wether across or up and down the slope.

Limit your operation on slippery slopes. Use chains in the winter etc. ....

Holy Tip over BATMAN

View my Photos
jjfinn

2005-10-26          118478

Glad that you were not hurt. I have had a similar experience when soil gave way beneath my BX23. However, I was strapped in with my seatbelt and the ROPS was locked. It certainly is the best way to handle that situation rather than trying to jump clear.

A few other suggestions, in addition to those mentioned above. 1) If you HAVE to be on a side slope, walk it first to insure there are no dips or rocks that could cause tipping. 2) Keep your front bucket low to insure a low center of gravity. 3) When on side slope, move your backhoe to be on the upslope side. 4) Drive SLOWLY.

Hope this helps. ....

Holy Tip over BATMAN

View my Photos
leebo95

2005-10-26          118482

The 8-way rims" Where do you find them? Never heard of them, My Kubota has width adjustments by moving the rims out but the rim itself is not adjustable.
Lee ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login