Go Bottom Go Bottom

Snow plow blower for BX23

View my Photos
bilbo004
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-17          118051

I just got my BX23 last week and it has been great(when I can get my father-in-law off it). I need to maintain a 1000 gravel driveway with 2 small hills for a NY winter. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this and if a snow plow was better than a blower.

For a plow the dealer recommend a Curtis 5' power angle plow w/ a quick attach.

Thanks,
Bill

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2005-10-17          118053

I went from a f350 4x4 with a 8ft fisher speed cast to a jd 790 front mounted snow blower after the three weekly 30inch snow storms we had a couple of years ago,I ran out of room to push it.Now I have 40 ft to put it almost anywhere BRING IT ON :) ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-17          118054

If your snows are heavy and wet the 5 foot blade might push the tractor aside from the snow instead of vice-versa.

What does the dealer have against the snow plow Kubota designed for the tractor? ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-18          118086

As was touched on above, is the Curtis plow the FEL mounted one?

If it is the frame mounted plow I think you will be in a mess after a few storms, you won't have anywhere left to put the snow.

If it is the FEL mounted unit that's a different story.

Money is usually the decision-maker in this arguement.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-10-18          118090

I have the front blower on a B7610 and it is awesome. I know someone that has the B2910 with the Curtis Blade on the loader with some grade on gravel and they are very unhappy with it. Too long, too much weight out front, even with leaving a backhoe on the back, front wheels slide out when pushing.

With a smaller tractor the blower would be better, but you have gravel so you need to be careful. ....

View my Photos
rlsmith

2005-10-18          118102

I used my BX 23 last winter moving 2 feet or more of snow off a my stone half circle drive and also my folks cement drive both have 6 foot elevations from road to house. Both with the FEL and just pushed and piled it up, out of the way for the next storm. Oh forgot to mention that the John deer 318 with the snow blower got left in the barn. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-10-18          118104

I now have 2000' of northeren Wisconsin driveway to keep open. That Required the 8-1/2' Heineker plow on a '89 Chevy to do it effeciently.

BUT having used the FEL and the front mount snowblower on my BX, the FEL doen't stand a chance verses the snowblower. I don't see how a plow, weather it's mounted on the quick-mount or the FEL, would be any better with a (realitively) slow tractor. A plow needs speed to throw the snow which a tractor the size of a BX cannot deliver. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-18          118107

Dennis, did you mis-type your post?

"Too long, too much weight out front, even with leaving a backhoe on the back, front wheels slide out when pushing."

The B/H would reduce the front weight, but you said the problem was too much front weight, and the front wheels slid out.

If you have too much front weight the BACK wheels lose traction.

If the front wheels slide it's because they don't have enough weight on them.

My unit seems quite well balanced with a plow on the FEL, mind you it is also larger, and the FEL weight stays on the front wheels. The rear gets at least 750 pounds ballast, either a counter-balance weight, a 3pth blower or a box blade.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-10-18          118108

Murf, scratch the weight comment. As with most third hand info, the main fact is that the owner is quite unhappy with the B2910 with the Curtis FEL plow. He did tell me the front end slides out on him, perhaps he felt it was because the blade was "way" out front of the tractor and not the "weight". He has a very very steep slope on one part that even my Tundra had trouble with in two wheel drive with dry conditions. He also has a very coarse drive with large diameter stone that may not help either.

I know you are a fan of FEL blade config and I think it works well with the heftier size machines you use where it really snows ;--)

I participated in three tractor purchases last year, BX2230 with blower, B7610 with blower, B2910 with Curtis Plow. The two with the blowers are extremely happy with the purchase ( one is me), the Curtis plow buyer is not (he was not following my advice). Of the drives the little Bx2230 has the most challenging with a switchbacked drive climbing about 200 feet in about 1200ft.

It could also be due to operator technique, perhaps you could shed some light on how someone might operate this config in an optimum manner and what would be bad practice. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-18          118110

Dennis, if your friend has a B/H on the machine it will be a real PITA to plow with. It will put the weight too far back, unloading the front end too much as you describe.

There are two key issues to successfully with a plow on the FEL. If you get them both right it is nearly unstoppable, in our conditions up here at least.

First is the equipment, it's not setup right, you will never be happy with the results. The weight and it's position is critical. Too much front or rear and it wont work right. On my 4310 the front wheels get the FEL's weight. In my picture # 15 you can see that the FEL is set up clear of the ground. Not visible in this shot is the style of plow, it is a "trip edge" blade, meaning only the bottom few inches flip under when it hits something. This type of plow has a wide bottom edge, this means adjusting how high off the ground the FEL is also determines how the blade contacts the ground, just like a box blade with rear edge does. Lifting the FEL puts the blade over onto the front edge and it really scrapes. Lowering the FEL puts it back onto the rear edge and the front edge is clear of the ground, leaving all the gravel where it should be. Some rear weight is also required, 750-1000 pounds in my case. The plow must also be able to pivot at it's mounting point so that changes in grade don't apply or release load from the FEL. The only weight on the blade should be it's own mass, none of the FEL or tractor should be on the plow.

The second thing is the operator, and how the unit is handled. You are MOVING snow, not particpating in a demolition derby. This is also not a race car or bulldozer, so try to drive it like it is. Slow and easy does it. Avoid trying to start under load, even just a couple of feet to get the unit rolling before hitting a pile of snow makes a huge difference. Also, avoid spinning the wheels at all cost. Wherever possible avoid trying to do anything more than really gentle turns with a blade full of snow. Push the snow past the corner, then turn the machine, and start pushing straight the other direction.

Most importantly, take the time to learn what works best for your situation and equipment. EXPERIMENT.

I can't count the number of times I've heard "This is how I was told to do it." or "This is how I've always done it." Great, 20 years of doing something wrong doesn't change the fact it's still wrong!!!

Best of luck.

View my Photos
bilbo004

2005-10-18          118115

The plow would be mounted on the FEL. Here are the specs:
http://www.curtiscabs.com/Tractor_Loader.html

1. 3 Position Manual or *Hydraulic Angle Capability
2. Industrial Strength 11 Gauge Moldboard
3. High-Carbon, Reversible Steel Cutting Edge
4. Rotating Type Skid Shoes
5. Four Pin Pivot Frame
6. Extended 4 ft. Push Frame
7. Four Pin Detachment - 5 Minutes Max.
Quick attach kits available see order info.
8. *Hydraulic Relief Valve
9. Heavy Duty Trip Springs

Also, they quoted me a price of 2700 for complete setup (plow/quick attach setup/hoses). Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks for the comments!
-Bill ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-10-18          118121

Unless you have very, very light snowfalls, I think that is too much plow and mounted too far forward for a 1400 pound sub-cut. Dennis makes the point that it is too much plow for a 1700 pound machine.

It would certainly be too much for my 1800 pound JD 4115.

I had a BX22 and a Kubota front blade. It was 54 inches wide and mounted close and tight to the front end. I think I paid about $1000 for mine, but that was three years ago.

Since then it has been improved and mounts/dismounts a lot faster. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-10-18          118141

The blade mounted that far front often pushes the front of the tractor off the snow. The loader mounted blades do have a bit of disadvantage. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2005-10-22          118290

Murf,

What you have there (appears to be an old Fisher plow) is actually a better fit for these small tractors than the Curtis loader blade.

You have the capability to "float" the blade with the chain as well as determine the angle of the cutting edge, something the Curtis design does not offer. Yes, you can tilt the blade forward or backward with the Curtis but it is solidly connected to the loader/tractor so the effects are drastic as the blade will not achieve a float other than that inherent to the loader. If you try using that the minute resistance is met the front wheels lift and you lose steering.

I used the same Curtis on both NH and my Kubota with the same result, extreme dislike. After realizing the drawbacks I would have been dollars ahead converting an old unit as you have. I believe that the loader curled back a bit is far and away better than a Curtis blade.

View my Photos
Gatorbait

2005-10-24          118346

I have a B7510 and just bought a front mount blower for it. My concern is whether it will work for a light snowfall, like only a couple inches. I have probably 1000 feet of concrete driveway, and this will be my only means of clearing (no plow). Thoughts? ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2005-10-24          118347

I use my back blade with my snow blower > It adds weight and scrapes down to the base that the blower doesnt pick up and as in the light snow fall Its all I use. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-10-24          118354

gator... it will work fine.

You can always drive a hundred feet with the blower off and "plowing" and then hit the PTO switch for a few seconds or use the FEL for the real light stuff. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-10-25          118424

For light snow just run it in high range and enjoy the ground speed. Keep the blower spout down so the wind won't get what you are blowing. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-10-25          118427

A snowblower on the Kubota is fantastic. But you do need to be careful about your shear pins. If you fill up the blower with packed snow on purpose and then try to throw in the PTO at low speed you will quickly break a shear pin. In fact just driving the blower at idle into a small amount of snow will break a shear pin, I know because I did it by just pulling the tractor out of the garage so I could put the ROPS up with blower running at idle. You should engage the blower when the blower is empty only. And I ususally engage the PTO at slow speeds and then increase the RPM after the implement is engaged, easier on MMM mower belts etc....

You are going to love the snowblower, I also have the rear grader blade makes great ballast and cleans up what the blower misses. I also have a weight box that I have never used the blade has so much more value. ....

View my Photos
bilbo004

2005-11-09          119164

Thanks for all the good advice.. I am wondering w/ relatively new gravel driveway (ie.. not packed down very good) if I would end up shearing alot of pins on the blower. Based on the comments here, I am wondering if a blower and rear blade would be the best combination.

We normally get about 70" in Poughkeepsie, NY and it is normally the heavier stuff. I moved down from Watertown , NY for less snow and warmer weather :-)

Thanks again.
Bill ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-11-10          119167

A blower is definitly the way to go, but you are going to pick up gravel no matter what. To minimize it, set the skids up high and make sure the blower is not angled down at all. Leave an inch or on top of the gravel, don't worry about trying to clean all the way down. Lastly, don't point the spout at anything you wouldn't throw a rock at.

View my Photos
souledout

2005-11-10          119183

I'm also a BX23 owner/lover. This forum convinced me to buy two years ago - how did I ever do anything without it?

I'm also in the snowblower dilema. I'm outside of Boston and our snowfall is somehwat unpredictable. The local dealer wants $2400 for the Kubota blower, sub frame, and pto driveline. Does this seem like a lot to you guys?

I have a brand new macadam (gravel and tar) drive and don't want the local plowers to destroy it's look. About 1200 feet total.

Any alternatives? Please give me your thoughts.

Thomas ....

View my Photos
Gatorbait

2005-11-11          119232

Actually, I think $2400 sounds pretty fair. I paid $2750 for a BX2750 blower. ....

View my Photos
arleyp

2005-11-11          119254

pulled out my 2 year old bill. paid $2200 for my bx 2750 blower.I have about 1200ft of macadam driveway also.My only complaint is 2 or 3 passes and I'm done. last year i might have run the blower for a total of 10 hrs and that was blowing every neighbors driveway who would let me.beats the heck out of a walk behind, however. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login