Go Bottom Go Bottom

3pt sway links

View my Photos
EricBX1500
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-15          117923

How tight do you make your turnbuckles on your 3pt sway links. My dealer said make as tight as you can to stop swaying. Just want to make sure this is the correct way. If so it sure seems like alot of stress. can it handle this??

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3pt sway links

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-15          117940

You are far better off to have it tight then to have the attached machine slamming from side to side streching all the hitch components. ....

3pt sway links

View my Photos
EricBX1500

2005-10-15          117942

thanks for the reply art. as i have said in the past the 3pt hitch is all new to me. right now i use a wrench to tighten them down and then tighten the lock nuts. i was wondering is there such a thing as to tight? ....

3pt sway links

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-16          117957

I do not think I'd use a wrench to tighten them. Hand snugg or a "little" loose should be more desireable. But once you get them adjusted I'd snugg up the lock nuts with a wrench.

Too tight when pulling forward will not allow the lift arms to pull in tight to the frame of the implement and the base of the pins and all the pull will be on the outter end of the pin. ....

3pt sway links

View my Photos
EricBX1500

2005-10-16          117964

Harvey, when I tighten up the lift arm turnbuckles with a wrench they do tighten against the base of the pins of the implement (they are as far inward as they will go) and are not on the outer end of the pins.

Just an added note. My pins are mounted on the outside of the implement not on the inside. ....

3pt sway links

View my Photos
harvey

2005-10-16          117981

Guess I need to research which side of the lift arms the tightners are on B4 I respond. I had not considered them being on the inside.

You are correct, however me still thinks they should only B snugg. Usually things need to give a little. ....

3pt sway links

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-10-17          118006

It is important to have a little "give" in the linkage. There are several reasons. If you make them too tight, you will need to loosen them everytime you attach an implement since you won't be able to sway them over the pins. More important though, you want some looseness to allow the linkage to float. If you are pulling or pushing a load and have the linkage tight, you will find that turning is very difficult. With them loose, your tractor can make steering adjustments, then pull or push it to where you want to go. Likewise if you hit an obstruction or a rock it will allow it to brush past without putting excessive load on the housing mounting point of the lift arms. If you have a rear mounted mower with a swivel wheel, the wheel will tear up the lawn less with some looseness in the system. ....

3pt sway links

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-10-17          118020

Ditto Yoopers comments. With all this talk about the sway bars, I was puuting on an implement and forgot to put the pins back in, yup lost em, had some extras on hand so no problem. I always just hand snug then back off so I can put the snap pins in. ....

3pt sway links

View my Photos
EricBX1500

2005-10-17          118057

I’m not sure how I can hand tighten them? On mine the turnbuckles have a threaded rod with a ¾ nut welded in the center. It’s next to impossible to turn by hand to draw the arms to the base of the pin far enough. So I use a wrench to turn the nuts to were there is no slop in the turnbuckles anymore and the arms are butt up against the implement to were they will not move anymore. When I do this the turnbuckles are stiff but not super stiff. I can still wiggle them 1/8 inch. The first time I installed the implement I went by the advice of my dealer and he said make them as tight as you can. I did this and it just seemed like a lot of stress on them for a piece of threaded rod. Looked like this could be a good recipe for a stripped or snapped rod. So now I get them to were the arms are tight against the implement and I can wiggle the turnbuckle about a 1/8 inch. Does this sound correct?? ....

3pt sway links

View my Photos
harvey

2005-10-18          118076

My best thought is sometimes you'll want them looser and sometimes snugger. Depends on the job and implement.

Do the same job and try them both ways. I think you will notice a little loose it not a real concern. As you have already figured out if to tight and creaks when you lower or raise it probably is.

1/8 inch sounds way to tight for me. ....

3pt sway links

View my Photos
EricBX1500

2005-10-18          118078

((if to tight and creaks when you lower or raise))

No sounds what’s so ever? Shouldn’t the arms be butt up against the implement? If I make the turnbuckles looser the arms don’t rest on the on the end of the pin(against the implement). They are more towards the center? Remember my pins are mounted on the outside of the implement. ....

3pt sway links

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-10-18          118080

From my perspective up to a couple of inches of sway is tight. You don't want your link arms to contact the sidewalls of the rear tires. The only instance I can think of having the need to be somewhat tight is if you have a hitch adapter on for a trailer and want to get good positioning control in reverse. Even then, it is surprising how accurate and easy you can back a trailer while having an inch of looseness or more.

Usually the amount of looseness you want is enough to spread the arms to load over the pins. Once it is on, it don't matter if they are tight on the sides. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login