Go Bottom Go Bottom

Traction lock

View my Photos
EricBX1500
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-09          117603

had to use it when digging my garden out. When one wheel would spin I stopped and would engage it then carry on. But somtimes I forgot to let off the lever to disengage it and would make a turn on my lawn. The inside wheel would rip the lawn up. A newbe mistake. I dont think this hurt the tractor because I was on the lawn I'm sure if I made this mistake on cement this would be a different story

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Traction lock

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-09          117604

Sometimes under the right conditions they will not release until the pressure goes down or is released. ....

Traction lock

View my Photos
jegenrieder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-09          117633

It's very much like driving with a locker on a 4x4. Without an operating differential, it will throw you to the oustisde of a turn. That will certainly dig up your lawn. I noticed the same this afternoon while lifting and moving a log - trying to pivot the log, which was on my right, I actually noticed that I was pulling it to the left while I had the diff lock engaged.

Also, on many subcompacts, the axles are spinning at very differnet RPMs, so locking them together will make the front wheels spin faster, doing even more damage. Thi was common in some old japanese 4x4s, and caused significant axle wrap (the leaves of the suspension would warp into an S shape).

Don't use it on the lawn! ....

Traction lock

View my Photos
EricBX1500

2005-10-10          117657

Let me see if I have this straight. When you make a turn without the traction lock engaged you’re inside wheel turns slower then you’re outside wheel right? But when you have your traction lock engaged you’re inside wheel turns at the same speed as you’re outside wheel. If this is true this would explain why my inside wheel was tearing up the grass as the wheel is spinning at the same speed as the outside wheel?? ....

Traction lock

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-10-10          117659

Traction lock is only supposed to be used when you are going straight never in a turn because it locks the differential and does not allow the wheels to rotate at different rates as a normal differnetial does.

Trying to turn with diff lock on can do damage to the tractor and will definitely rip up your lawn.

If you were in 4WD that alone will rip up your lawn in a turn, so it is possible your diff lock was in fact released. The diff lock pedal on my B7610 is a press and hold to engage let go to release design, I assume yours is the same.

Dennis

Traction lock

View my Photos
EricBX1500

2005-10-10          117661

The problem I had is when I engaged it then made a turn out of the dirt onto the lawn it did not disengage right away(the pedal did not pop out). Then I went backwards and it disengaged right away. ....

Traction lock

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-10-10          117663

So can you now engage it going straight and release it going straight? ....

Traction lock

View my Photos
maximum729

2005-10-10          117664

As you may have heard, this problem of tearing up the grass in fairly common among many sub-compact tractors. Just as if you try to turn a tight corner with a 4 wheeler with a straight axle, your grass shows your mistake, I used my neighbors JD 2210 with a loader hauling rocks, it also likes to eat the grass. ....

Traction lock

View my Photos
EricBX1500

2005-10-10          117666

Yes Dennis. ....

Traction lock

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-11          117740

"Also, on many subcompacts, the axles are spinning at very differnet RPMs, so locking them together will make the front wheels spin faster, doing even more damage."

The above statement is not correct.

The 'traction lock' ONLY locks the rear axle solid, it does NOT lock the front axle solid, nor does it change the gear ratio between the front and rear axles.

Best of luck.

Traction lock

View my Photos
Art White

2005-10-11          117763

Kubota starts front wheel difflock at the 6800 size and then goes larger. Their system is a mechanical system on that size and then many are hydro electric activation in larger tractors. ....

Traction lock

View my Photos
EricBX1500

2005-10-12          117770

So if one wheel is spinning you stop the tractor and engage the diff lock pedal give it a little gas and both wheels will engage, right? when I press it down and give it gas I can feel the pedal drop a little further. I guess this is the pin engaging?? Just as a test I was on solid ground going straight and stopped the tractor pressed the diff lock pedal down gave it a little gas and could not get it to lock(pedal would not drop further). I assume that the pin won't line up since both wheels are turning together. I'm just trying to get a better understanding on how this system works. This is all new to me.

Traction lock

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-12          117772

Eric, you are on the right track.

When the differential lock is engaged, it takes the "Differential" out of the equation and turns the rear end into a "Detroit Locker", both wheels will turn, period.

The motion you felt ("I can feel the pedal drop a little further.") was exactly that, the diff. lock engaging.

There are many reasons why the diff. lock wouldn't engage on "solid ground", but with both wheels on solid ground and getting good traction it would be difficult to get the mechanism to line up and allow engagement.

Basically all the diff. lock system is designed to do is give you a little extra traction in a sticky spot. Bear in mind this system was developed LONG before the proliferation of 4WD tractors. Getting a wheel stuck in a patch of gumbo on a 2WD tractor would often mean a loooong walk back to the barn for help, if there was a second machine even available to help you out.

Best of luck. ....

Traction lock

View my Photos
CurtisW

2005-10-12          117781

Murf, Are you sure?

Aren't the ratios betwen the axles already different?

And why doesn't the traction lock affect both axles?

CW ....

Traction lock

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-12          117790

CW, I'm quite sure.

Yes the axle ratios are VERY different, but so are the rolling circumferences of the front and rear tires. The difference between axle ratios and tire sizes however negate all but about 5% of the difference, this is called "lead". This is done on purpose for reasons of handling, if it was not there the front wheels would want to wander side to side when the tractor was in 4WD.

The traction lock only acts on the rear axle on most (especially smaller) tractors, on some big units it does act on both axles.

Locking the front axle on a small (read: homeowner sized) would also likely lead to all sorts of complaints and warranty claims from people who locked the front end then made a sharp turn.

The only real reason for having it on some and not all is cost. This is sort of like cab & A/C, on a big tractor it's pretty common, on a CUT it's pretty spendy.

Best of luck. ....

Traction lock

View my Photos
Art White

2005-10-12          117809

Good call on the lead ratio Murf! ....

Traction lock

View my Photos
BrendonN

2005-10-13          117818

One situation where a locking differential is really handy is when crossing a ditch at an angle. If the front axle pivot bottoms out you can end up with one front and the opposite side rear tire unloaded and spinning freely, even in 4WD. Lock the diff and you will crawl right through.

Another handy use on field tractors is the straight driving tendency that the locked diff provides. Most large farm tractors now have an automatic setting that keeps the lock engaged all the time but will release it when a single brake is applied during turns. It will then unlock for the turn and relock when the brake is released (using a hydraulic clutch pack, not a mechanical pin or pawl like our CUTs). Keeping the implement in line and making straight passes becomes a lot easier as the tractor almost guides itself. ....

Traction lock

View my Photos
EricBX1500

2005-10-13          117827

thanks for the input. It all makes sence. I have one other question. Is one of the axles always locked. Looking in the parts diagram I have it looks like there is a collar that the diff pedal operates to lock only one axle?? ....

Traction lock

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-10-13          117842

There is a differential in both the front and rear axle. Only the REAR axle has a diff lock. When the diff lock pedal is pressed, the two rear wheels will lock and turn at the same speed no matter what. When it is released the rear wheels will turn at different speeds in a turn or in low traction conditions. The front axle is unaffected by the rear diff lock, whether in 2WD or 4WD. It only reacts to traction conditions under each tire.

There is NO differential BETWEEN the front and rear axles (i.e. in the transmission). That is why your grass gets torn up in 4WD even when you are not using the diff lock. Not only do the inside and outside wheels want to spin at different speeds while in a turn, but so do the front and rear axles. Basically, all four wheels move in different arcs during a turning manuver. In 4WD with no 'center' diff, the front and rear axles are driven at the same speed by the transmission (or transfer case in a road vehicle). Since the the axles (think drive shafts) want to turn at different speeds just as the inside and outside wheels do, but are being forced to turn at the same speed, something has to give. The result is the wheel with the least traction spins faster than its own ground speed.

BTW, that is the main difference between part-time and full-time four wheel drive on most road vehicles. Part-time 4WD vehicles do not have a center diff in the transfer case, full-time 4WD vehicles do. Part-time 4WD with diff locks in both axles is the only way to get true 4WD. ....

Traction lock

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-13          117843

"Part-time 4WD with diff locks in both axles is the only way to get true 4WD."

Reallllly, wanna take a ride in my Land Rover ?????

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login