Go Bottom Go Bottom

Dino oil Kubota and sludge

View my Photos
tsterkel
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-08-30          115638

I got a "new" 20 year old Kubota L275. It had fresh dino (Kubota) oil before delivery. At 10 hours, I got my synthetic (Mobile 5w-40) ready and wanted to change. I am a synthetic fan... I used oil purge, per directions for 5 minutes idle. WoW! over a quart of Sludge!

I have not seen sludge in over 15 years, since I started to use synthetics. I am glad I use synthetics.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
taheide

2005-08-30          115646

Seeing sludge is not a good sign. Sludge buildup occurs from lack of proper maintenance. Keep a close eye on your seals now that you have syn in there. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-30          115653

I bet that tractor had aftermarket oil in it until that Kubota oil was installed on the change. ....

View my Photos
unit5alive

2005-08-30          115684

Ive always changed my oil with kubota oil and filters , clean as day one inside ! ....

View my Photos
tsterkel

2005-08-30          115685

every time I have seen sludge, it was dino oil ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-30          115696

Yup. Me too. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-08-31          115703

I think it would be fair to say that as Dino oils have been in use for the time that that they have and the synthetics are relatively new to the last twenty years. I will say this, my wifes car running with Mobil one was the dirtiest at change. I've been running synthetics since the first change at 3000 miles. Have changed to Amsoil but have'n hit but 5000 miles yet so it will be interesting to see what happens. I've seen a lot of sludge in a lot of engines, normally there is a reason for it's build up in an engine and it's mainly from to much for the oil to put into suspension and carry which sometimes worries me more then if it settled out. ....

View my Photos
tsterkel

2005-08-31          115706

"I've seen a lot of sludge in a lot of engines, normally there is a reason for it's build up in an engine and it's mainly from to much for the oil to put into suspension and carry which sometimes worries me more then if it settled out."

1. I WANT it in the oil, and am glad when the oil darkens. That means that the oil is working.
2. Cleaning it out is what the oil filter is for.
3. If you are having problems with dirty oil, then the filter is failing, get a better one. (You also may have to rebuild the engine if it is really bad.)
4. Sludge does not just "fall out", it falls on critical mechanical parts, wearing them down or at least getting them out of tolerance quicker than you want. ....

View my Photos
taheide

2005-08-31          115707

The two major factors that form sludge, is water, and long time between changes. If an engine isnt used hard enough to burn off the moisture it collects in the oil and settles to the bottom. When the engine is started, that water is sucked up and churned into the oil and eventually forms sludge. It becomes gooey and particles that normally are either suspended or trapped by the filter are attracted to the goo and thickens it. Once it starts to gel, it then sticks to the engine block, plugging up oil passages and such until eventually ou have no oil pressure. A tractor engine that has been used the way it should be used, and maintained properly will not form sludge with ANY type of oil. Years ago people who drove their cars for short distances only would have sludge buildups, which is where the juffy lubes came into play with the 3 month 3000 mile oil change. Sludge can be formed with ANY oil dino or syn. It isnt the oil itself that creates the sludge, it is the manner in which the engine is used and sometimes the design of the engine. There are quite a few car manufactures out there that have been having warranty issues with sludge forming in the engines. Some of these engines in fact run synthetic oils from the factory! VW has their 10,000 mile oil change interval becasue they use synthetics, and now they are finding out that the engines are becoming sludge bombs. Toyota and Chrysler are having the same issues as well, and Toyota has reduced the oil change intervals shown in the manual from 7500 miles to 5000 miles due to sludge buildup. ....

View my Photos
taheide

2005-08-31          115709

I also found a few of my tech manuals from years ago with regards to the formation of sludge. Water is only a small portion of it, and that has mainly been from the 70's and earlier when straight weight oil was used and before detergents. With todays oils, the detergent and additive packages are what helps prevent sludge from forming. The detergents clean deposits off the engine parts and the additives hold those particles that are too small to be filtered in suspension. When the oil becomes saturated to the point where the additives can no longer hold the particles, sludge forms, the particles fall out of suspension and stick to the engine parts. There are two types of sludge, water borne and the hard crusty stuff that causes angine to fail. If you remove your oil cap and see brown goo on it, that is the water borne type, the crusty kind is the bad one, once it forms in an engine, it is very hard to get rid of and can lead to the destruction of the engine. To prevent it, change oil frequently, to get rid of already formed sludge, do more frequent oil changes, in a car, say every 2000 miles for about 10,000 mile should help clean up the engine. Dont use a motor flush, you might cause more damage as the sludge gets removed from the engine, it can clog up the oil pickup screen.

Here are some statistics I find interesting regarding how much stuff is created from burning 100 gallons of gasoline in a typical car engine.

90 to 120 gallons of water

3 to 10 gallons of unburned gasoline

1/2 to 3 pounds of soot and carbon

1/4 to 1 pound of varnish

1 to 4 pounds of sulfuric and nitric acid

It is the soot and carbon particles that are the main componenets of sludge. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-08-31          115730

I think before I'll rebuild the engine at 28,000 I'll get rid of it and go back to good regular oil and 5000 mile changes if it's going to cause a problem. The car gets about 30 miles per trip to work and thirty back which is over hills but should be good for it. It is rough on the brakes but we are looking at replacing the car at about 35,000 which will be in time for it's next oil change if synthetics live up to there reputation. Other wise to me it is the dealers problem. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login