Go Bottom Go Bottom

B2150 HST Transmission trouble

View my Photos
winchesterdon
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-08-04          114378

Ok, this is my first post ever but at my wits end here.. I have a 2150 HST with 1500 hrs on it and have developed the following problem. When loading the bucket or lifting the tiller the hydrostatic drive quits, in other words there is no power to the wheels for a moment... I changed the fluid, cleaned the screen and replaced the filter with little if any improvment... Took it to a dealer who checked all the line pressures, pronounced them ok and changed the fluid, cleaned the screen and changed the filter... All of this within 10 hrs of opperation... The dealer said they could not get the problem to repeat after this but when I started working the tractor again, same song second verse, didn't get better didn't get worse!!!
I have run Kubotas commercially for years and never had a trany problem... There was some small dark colored specks in the hydro fluid when I initially changed it and the dealership said they seen some also... Both the charge and hydrolic pump checked out ok based on pressures... Has anyone any ideas on what may be happening???

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
BrendonN

2005-08-05          114382

It sure sounds like you are loosing charge pressure to the hydro. Don't know how this model is set up, but on most hydro systems the charge pump does double duty by also supplying high pressure oil to the function circuit. If I were to guess (not knowing how this tractor is set up), I would suspect that the priority valve is not functioning correctly and is starving the hydro when the function valve calls for oil. This valve is often built into the end cap on the charge pump.
Just a guess. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-05          114439

Nice guess! ....

View my Photos
winchesterdon

2005-08-05          114441

Do you know a way to check this out short of breaking the tractor in half? (I am told that is the only way to access the charge pump)
Thanks
winchesterdon ....

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-05          114451

That is the only way to get at it. But even if the pump has correct pressure it may not have the flow required. Usually 3 to 5 gpm at 300 to 800 psi depending on what type of system it is. There can be good pressure and only 1 or so gpm flowing so that needs to be checked. ....

View my Photos
winchesterdon

2005-08-06          114462

First of all, thank you all for your help... I had another service dept check out the location of the priority valve and it is external on the 2150, which helps... As far as checking the flow, I'm not sure how to do that??? Appreciate any advice on this... I am in a wheelchair so have some limitation on getting under the tractor...
Thanks again
winchesterdon ....

View my Photos
winchesterdon

2005-08-06          114466

Just found this on another post, does anyone know if this is a real possibility?
You might want to check for a partial clogged exhaust. It's one of the most difficult problems to diagnose since everything runs fine on level ground till you hit a resistance like a hill or a load. Then the power level drops 10 fold. Easiest way I've discovered is to partially disconnect the exhaust manifold so exhaust gases are unrestricted and then road test (may be a little loud). If it climbs the trailer then viola! Most common cause is a baffle within the exhaust system has broken off and is restricting the flow of exhaust. Sometimes the inner layer of the laminated exhaust pipe separates and folds. Don't operate unit with a separated exhaust over a prolong period or you may develop other serious problems, such as a warpped exhaust valve. It's for testing only and should be sealed back after the road test.

View my Photos
oneace

2005-08-07          114470

It is possible but it does not fit your problem. Happens with cars allot when the cat. get clogged. ....

View my Photos
winchesterdon

2005-08-09          114614

I took the mufler off today and wow! What a diference... I can spin all the tires and no more transmission cutting out when I use the loader --- But, it still stalls the hydro when I pick up the tiller... Checked flow and pressure on charge pump and all was well... The priority valve is exterior on the B2150HST... Is anyone familiar with this set up? We're gaining on it but not home yet.. Appreciate your help and comments... I would never thought of the exhaust as a possible trouble maker, will have new one Friday.... The dyno indicated correct HP, but not sure how that works, sure didn't find the exhaust problem...
Thanks again
don ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-08-09          114615

You are geting to much oil in one direction and not enough in the other. I don't understand the differencein the hydraulics from the removal of the exhaust. The loader hydraulics come from a block on the right side. ....

View my Photos
winchesterdon

2005-08-09          114617

There was a significant loss of power due to the exhaust which in turn caused the hydro to not function correctly... With the full power now the hydro works just fine when I am using the loader but for some reason does not when I raise the tiller... I had a similar problem earlier when "grandpaws little helper" put sand in the fuel tank and the fuel filter became clogged up, ran just fine but no power...
Thanks ....

View my Photos
winchesterdon

2005-08-13          114816

Thanks again for all the help, but not out of the woods yet... I replaced the exhaust system which provided a significant boost in power... Also found an air leak on the suction side of the hydro pump, in the short hose that "T's" to the cooler... We fixed that but still have an occasional problem when the HST stalls out, again I presume it is an air leak, just not sure where... Does anyone know it the cooler itself could have a pinhole leak? There is no fluid leak under gravity... I also seem to have more trouble in reverse, less power, than I used to.. Any Ideas on this one??
Thanks
don ....

View my Photos
winchesterdon

2005-08-22          115248

Letting anyone know who reads this thread that the problems have been solved... First, the exhaust was robbing most of the power... A new muffler and pipe took care of the power problem... Next, the short hose on the suction side of the hydro pump that goes to the cooler had a 2" crack in it allowing it to suck air... Replaced this and almost home, but found the main line on suction side had a hose that was loose, tightened the clamps a bunch and --- nor more leaks, hydrostat does not stall out and I have power to spare...
Thanks again for all the tip's
don ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-08-22          115257

Glad to hear you got your self all fixed up. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-08-23          115309

I guess they call that unscheduled maintence. You just never know when! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login