Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX23 or B7510 for half acre and Commercial use

View my Photos
tractornewbie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-28          114001

Hey Guys, I'm shopping for one of these tractors.
My yard is quite small compared to all yours (1/2 acre+) but in very rough shape (uneven/rocky/lots of stumps, etc.) and I want to clean it up and plant some trees.
Also, after this work I'd like to pick up some work on the side doing residential yard work (fences/tree planting/mowing, etc) because by then I'll know how to use the tractor pretty well.
I'm pretty sure you all will recommend the BX23 but would like to hear it from you experts anyway.
Do you think I will ever encounter a residential job the BX23 won't be able to handle but the B7510 will?
Does the smaller size of the BX23 offer a huge advantage over the B7510 when it comes to residential work?
Thanks alot,
DT.

BTW, sorry for the typo's in the subject line. Can't edit those after posting...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
jarndt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-29          114048

The only benefits the B7510 offers are higher ground clearance (from bigger wheels and tires) and a non-limited 3PT. Unless you physically can't traverse your property with a BX, it should be more than enough for a 1/2 acre residential lot. Keep in mind, the BX is a bit more manuverable and takes up a little less space in the garage. I actually considered the 7510 for my 2-1/2 acres but went with a BX because it would do everything I needed and has a newer design. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-29          114054

If you will be switching from BH to mower and back the BX23 will be easier because it is made to do that for a home owner. The BH on a B is more complicated and will be a pain to switch on and off with a mower.

If time is an issue for commercial work, as you step up from the BX you can lift way more, dig faster, get done sooner, with a somewhat higher torque engine.

It really depends on what you want to do with it. How rocky your soil is how big those stumps are. How much time you have to do it.

The advantages of the BX are:

1)cheapest way to get an easy off mower, Loader, Backhoe Tractor
2)can go anywhere a garden tractor can

Disadvantages:
1) low ground clearance
2) small loader lift capacity
3) limited three point hitch

Quite honestly with the HST trans on the B7510 it can go just about anyplace the BX can except for the higher ROPS.

View my Photos
JOHN THOMAS

2005-07-29          114072

I had a BX2200 and it was great. I traded up to a B7800. Ground clearance, bigger bucket are reasons I traded but the biggest issue for me has been the increased weight/tire size which gives so much greater traction!!! The BX will tackle anything and has enough hp but if you can't get the traction you just sit there and spin as I did frequently with BX but not with the B. ....

View my Photos
dieselpusher

2005-07-29          114100

The bucket on the BX 2200 I owned would only raise about 6' high. If you are going to rent or borrow a dump truck or high trailer you will have a problem. The specs show the loader will lift about 450lbs. but when I tested mine, it lifted 700lbs. Also, since time is money, the smaller machine takes longer to do the job. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-08-14          114841

The BX has the hp but if you can't get the traction you just sit there and spin as I did frequently with BX
=========
That's funny traction has never been A problem with my BX23.
If you get into the rite conditions you can get anything hung up

Why worry about needing a larger tractor for the bigger jobs.
That's why have you have a BX23 to do the smaller jobs the larger tractors can't get to or their owner/operaters don't want to mess with.
I figure I could keep the BX23 busy with the jobs it can handle and pick and choose the jobs I want.
Why worry about the jobs it can't handle when you are having to turn down work it can do?

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-08-17          114986

The BX has less traction because the tire traction is aligned as follows:

Direction of travel --------------->

BX tread relative to direction of travel:

HH
HH
HH
HH

B tread relative to direction of travel:

H H H H
H H H H

Just like on cars low profile tires have poor snow traction.

LOL ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-08-17          114987

The above is especially true when operating on ice, snow and mud.

But, the BX wide tires are the perfect for sand, gravel roads and hard surfaces. ....

View my Photos
tractornewbie

2005-08-17          114988

That does make a little sense, but not as much as the weight argument.

The more weight available for driving those treads into the ground, the better traction you'll get.

IMO tread spacing has much less impact (no pun intended!) on traction.

View my Photos
Art White

2005-08-18          115025

Interesting discussion on the traction but I have to counter. To much weight burns more fuel and hinders drivetrain life as well as plants. With it being as dry here as it is this year I haven't mowed in two or three weeks and when I did then it was for the most part weeds. Our old town is torn up and there is much slate and blue stone being taken up from walks and steps and I was lucky enough to get some and hauled it to my back yard at home. Where the LS190 NH Skid Steer went across my yard even straight all grass is now dead leaving brown tracks. To think last year I would have been worried over rutting it as I had to keep mowing every five days thru the year till October. ....

View my Photos
tractornewbie

2005-08-18          115030

Yeah I imagine skid-steer class weight on those small tires will just crush blades of grass.

A friend of mine says skid-steers are fantastic for new construction but wreak havoc on developed landscape.

Because of that he bought a Kubota and that's how I found out about them.

Anyone here own a ASV RC30 track loader?

I've heard they are great on existing lawns, a bit pricey though.

DT.

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-08-18          115032

I'm sure the BX23 will do 90% of what you need. And it is probably better for mowing. The 10% it can't do may be frustrating - not being able to move a couple of large boulders, a little more time digging through shale, etc. But how much money are you willing to spend for the last 10% of work?

I have a 32HP tractor on 2 acres and you can't believe the boulders I am digging up under my stone walls. I am happy to have it but it probably cost me an extra $8K? for my setup. Also as Art says, in this dry weather I notice that my tractor is leaving brown tracks where ever I drive. ....

View my Photos
jdwilson44

2005-08-22          115239

I bought a BX23 last year to do a ton of work on my 1/2 acre lot and agree with the poster who said that you will be able to do 90% of the work with the BX23. I have just over 300 hours on the tractor and there has been a few times when I wished for more power from the FEL and backhoe. If you are thinking of going upscale from the BX23 I would look at the B7610 with the upgraded FEL instead of the B7510.

If you compare the BX and B7510 specs there is not a huge difference in capacities. Going to the B7610 would get you more power and more digging from the FEL. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-08-22          115242

1* I bought a BX23 last year
2* I have just over 300 hours on the tractor
3* there has been a few times when I wished for more power from the FEL and back hoe.
4* If you are thinking of going upscale from the BX23 I would look at the B7610 with the upgraded FEL instead of the B7510.
jdwilson44

=============
>>1*got mine on 9/4/2004
2* & I thought 260 hours on mine was a lot of time on it in less than a year!
3* Haven't ran into this issue with mine. Even if I might it's not a big enough concern to me to have warranted the extra cost of a larger tractor FEL and BH.
4*I also vote for skipping the B7510 and going to the B7610 or the B2410 if going from a BX23!
In my book the 7510 is to much less tractor than the 7610 or 2410 and too little more tractor than the BX 23.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login