Go Bottom Go Bottom

What is the right tractor

View my Photos
birch80
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-25          113881

As so many others here, I am looking for the right tractor. I have some hunting land in northeastern MN. It has about 45 acres of "high land" and 35 acres of "lowland" (lowland is swap and a boggy pine forest). The highland is sandy soil with a mainly birch/aspen forest with some pines and maple scattered about. There is a 2 acre meadow in which I am building my cabin. The meadow is about a 1/5 mile drive through the forest from the county road. I have a good couple of miles of trails through the forest which I am currently "maintaining" with my ATV and a swisher rough cut trail mower.
So what do I want to do with a tractor?

* Maintain trails, which includes smoothing over some bumps, keeping them clear of weeds/saplings, and removing tree stumps (typically 4" - 6" stumps).

* Pull dead trees around

* Level land for sheds/parking/etc

* Dig holes for things like a grey water system or outhouse

* Probably some trenching for water/power

* Chip up the smaller dead wood around (and put on the trails)

* Snow removal on my driveway and around the cabin

* Move some material around to put on my driveway, such as gravel

I am not so worried about mowing my meadow, the swisher seems to be doing that, though I suspect at some point I will want to replace it with a finish mower and a brush-hog.

At this point my trails are just over 4' wide (enough to get my ATV and trail mower through). I really have no desire to make them much bigger than that, so size is an issue. A 60" tread would just not work for me!

One machine that caught my eye is the Kubota BX-23. It seems like reading from this board this might be a good fit. What other attachments might I need? What about the PTO, is it somewhat under-powered?

Should I be looking at other models/brands? What about used? Is there any significant money to save there?

Thanks in advance for all your sage advice!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
jarndt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-26          113892

I think you're right on target with a Kubota BX, as long as you don't intend to do any heavy logging. There are no problems with PTO power on a BX. It has more power than it can put to good use due to size and weight limitations on implements. You have quite a list of implements to look at: FEL, backhoe, finish mower, rotary cutter, box blade, PTO chipper/shredder, and snow caster. Better get started on one of those sheds first!

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-26          113898

I recommend you get more ground clearance, the BX is happier in more cultured environments. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2005-07-26          113899

I would definitely be looking at the B, at a least, with a FEL and BH. The BX may have good pto power, but for what you want to do, you will need the weight, 3-pt lift height, and ground clearance of at least the 'B-series'. The BX will have trouble handling ground engagement equipment on the rough terrain, and will be limited in use with other equipment like a PHD.

For the work you describe, buy a little larger and make the work enjoyable. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-07-26          113901

From my viewpoint with that list of projects, you should be looking for a tractor with no less than 30HP. Realistically, I would be looking at 35-40HP. This will also give you the ground clearance. The problem is your 4 foot width. Most tractors in range have a 60 inch minimum width. Getting too tall and narrow is not good on uneven ground. ....

View my Photos
dc_B7610

2005-07-26          113902

Hi Birch,

I have about the same needs as you...
-105 Acres of wood with trails
-About 3 acres of grass
-Lots of trails that i use with my ATV for logging
-trenching and digging a lot....

I got a B7610 with a B4672 Backhoe. I think this was a good compromise for me, small tractor but good power. The ground clearance is 12.8 inches vs about 6 for the BX23.

Had it for about a week and am still surprise at the power this machine has.

Maybe you want to check them out.

Dan

View my Photos
birch80

2005-07-26          113946

Some good food for thought! Thank you!

My local dealer suggested the B2410 (he also suggested a used Bobcat 742). The B2410 and the B7610 look like pretty comparable tractors. The only differences I saw in the specs were the size of the tank and an extra speed on the rear PTO for the B7610. Am I missing something? In terms of $ the step up to the B2410 from the BX23 looks to be about $6,500. The BX23 was $15,300 and the B2410/FEL/BH was $10,600/$3,700/$7,500 -> ~$21,800. Number are approximate and I am not sure which BH it was. Maybe I should strap a 6" log under my Arctic Cat 400 and see how it does on the trails :-) (The Cat has nearly the same clearance as the B2410/B7610.) ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-07-27          113947

The major differences between the B2410/B2710/B2910 and the B7510/B7610/B7800 are creature comforts. Position control 3PT, telescopic stabilizers, ratchet-style lifting rod adjustment, telescopic/tilt steering wheel, cruise control, seat suspension, optional bi-speed turn, 3-range HST (B2710,B2910,B7800). ....

View my Photos
beagle

2005-07-27          113948

The 2410 was a "Deluxe" series tractor that has been dis-continued. The 2420 and 2710 were replaced by the 2630. The are some important differences between the 2410 and the 7610. The most important is the position control on the 3-pt. The 7610 has the 1/4" valve instead of position control. Between the 7610 and the 2410, get the 2410 if you can still find one. ....

View my Photos
birch80

2005-10-12          117787

I thought I would give an update. I decided to go with the BX23, and I think I have made a good choice. I now have about 70 hours on it. Here are some of the major tasks I have done with it:

1) Tree Stump Removal

I have removed a variety of stumps from 4" to 12" in diameter. The larger stumps definitely take a while to dig around, but the BX23 was able to do the job.

2) Live Tree Removal

I needed to clear a place for a new Lester Building to be put up so I could park the BX23 someplace. I had to take down around a dozen trees in the process. They were poplar between 4" and 14" in diameter. I would dig around and break the outgoing roots and then push these over. Some of the 4" trees could just be pushed over. The 14" tree ended up with about a 4' in diameter root ball. This one took several hours to eventually push over. I do recommend doing this rather than cutting trees down and then trying to pull the stump.

3) Organic material removal

For my new garage I had to get rid of all the organic material (dirt, roots, etc) from an area of 48' x 41'. On my property it was about 6" deep. I did this mostly with the FEL but used the BH at times. It took me a couple of days, I would guess in total I moved about 10 yards of dirt.

4) Putting in fill

I had 12 truck loads of fill delivered, each about 12 yards. It probably took me about 30 minutes to spread out one load. I used the FEL and a King Kutter BX 48" Box Blade. The guy who delivered the fill was impressed with the amount of work the BX23 was able to do.

5) Making trails

My property is mostly Poplar and Birch. I have found that by dragging the box blade behind me I am able to do a great job of creating new 4' trails and smoothing out my current trails. I have had to remove quite a few boulders (12" to 18" in diameter) and was able to do so with a combination of the box blade and FEL (I didn't want to go back and switch to the BH and then have to switch back to the BB). This is probably going to be the main job for my BX23 and it does a great job. Typically when I come across (yet another) tree across a trail I just get the FEL under it and then push it either out of the way or push until it snaps and then push it out of the way. My trails have never looked so good! I find I prefer the FEL and BB with the BX23 over my Swisher Rough Cut and ATV for the trails.

I am very happy with the BX23. Sure, a bigger tractor would be faster in some instances, but if size and price are issues then I think the BX23 is a winner.

View my Photos
Art White

2005-10-12          117807

AHHHHH, I think your hooked! Just think how much more you could do and how much faster it would be with the larger B-series with the three range transmission for better ground speed and power and 500 plus more lbs and just over 48" wide! The BH75 hoe with stronger dig out force and the larger loader would be nice for knocking over trees. Five foot hog and send the swisher down the road! ....

View my Photos
JOHN THOMAS

2005-10-17          118007

I GOT HOOKED WITH A BX2200 AND FEL. SO HOOKED THAT I HAD TO TRADE UP TO THE B7800. ART'S RIGHT. THE BX IS TOTALLY CAPABLE OF MOST JOBS BUT B'S DO THEM SO MUCH FASTER,BUT FOR A PRICE. LIKED MY BX2200, LOVE MY B7800. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-10-25          118459

1*Just think how much more you could do and how much faster it would be with the larger B-series
Art White
2*LIKED MY BX2200, LOVE MY B7800.
JOHN THOMAS
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
1*I had a hard time deciding between the B2410 and BX23.
Picked the BX23 no regrets; but now I wonder what the B2410 would have been like.
On the other hand had I chosen the B2410 I would probably be wondering what the BX23 would haven been like now.
I have done some things with the BX23 that I couldn't have done with a B2410 like
haul and spread dirt in a 16x22 foot shed and get into and operate in tight close quarters that you couldn't get to with the larger B2410
2*Like my BX23-Like the BX2410 too = Would love to have Both and throw in a BX1500 too. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-10-25          118460

I like the larger tractors to but the 2410 chassis still only takes a 60" deck and the two range transmission. The plus of a jump to a 72" deck and the three range transmission is worth it if room in the pocket book as well as the garage and property. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login