Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
mc2crazy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-23          111428

Any other Kubota ZG or ZD zero turn mower owners here? I recently purchased a Kubota ZG23 and have had problems with it.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
project_x

2005-05-23          111430

Hi mc2crazy,
I have a ZG23 that I got a few weeks ago. I am very happy with it so far, what problems are you having? ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-05-23          111443

First of all I have a bad back. The ZG is advertised as having a link type suspension seat, the same as the ZD model. It doesn't, never did and never will according to Kubota. That was an important feature when trying out different mowers to see which was most comfortable for me. I only had a chance to test a ZD21 which had a comfortable ride. All of Kubota's advertising says the ZG and ZD models have the same suspension seat. The ZG without the suspension causes me much discomfort. Kubota has offered me a refund OR they want me to pay the difference between what I paid for the ZG23 and list price for a ZD... just to get what they advertised in the first place on both the ZG and ZD. I only use it for personal use and have no need for a diesel mower (other than the ride) and I certainly don't want to spend thousands of dollars more just to get what was advertised in the first place.

Second, The motor keeps running after the key is turned off. Sometimes it's a couple of pops and other times it's for many seconds. This is a Kohler 23HP gas engine. They aren't designed to take this stress. The dealer blamed it on the gas. Then he blamed it on emissions. I just changed the oil with only 10 hours on it. I always change the oil on any new engine before schedule. The problem is the oil had an unusual amount of large pieces of metal (aluminum alloy?) in it. I told the dealer, but he is not concerned.

Is Kubota always this unreputable? ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
project_x

2005-05-23          111445

I only found this site a couple of days ago, and I can't read beyond "All of Kubota's advertising says the ZG and ZD models ...".
How long have you had the ZG? I would discuss the seat issues with my dealer.

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-05-23          111447

Kubota's ZD and ZG models are both advertised as having a standard equipment link type suspension seat. The ZG doesn't. It's way beyond the dealer at this point. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-05-23          111448

The 23HP Kohler gas engine is running on (or dieseling) after shutting it off. The dealer blamed it on gas, then how I shut it down, then on emissions without doing any repairs. There were large pieces of metal in the oil when I just changed it at 10 hours. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
WPHill
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-24          111450

mc2crazy, I've been looking at zero turn mowers over the last 2 weeks and have never got the impression that the ZG has a link type suspension. The web site says deluxe seat designed to offer maximum support and comfort.... Nothing about link type suspension. As for the Kohler engine not designed to take the stress, do your homework. There is a 48" Exmark with a Kohler engine that has over 2000 hours on it in my garage and still running strong. As for the Kubota being unreputable part, they have offered to refund your money or let you pay the difference for the ZD, what more could you ask for? If your so unhappy about the mower, get your money back. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-24          111454

I reviewed the literature as well as the ad slicks and saw nothing of these claims. They do talk of a deluxe seat which I believe they do have. I don't know but feel you have been mislead or confused during the purchase but I do believe you have a problem with the engine shut down. At what speed do you shut the engine down? ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-24          111459

I've never seen anything that showed the ZG had a suspension seat, or that it was even available as an upgrade. I'm sure it probably is an easy, if not spendy, change-over since the machines look pretty much the same.

We have a couple of ZD's and the suspension seat is standard. It works well and takes a lot of the bumping out of the operation, even on the relatively smooth ground we work on.

If you have something in writing from Kubota that shows a ZG with a suspension seat, hold them to it, have the dealer swap it out at their expense.

Best of luck. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-05-24          111468

If you want to see what the "deluxe" seat is go to Kubota's website and it shows and describes the same standard deluxe link type suspension seat... WOW!...No more!... they changed their site because of me and probably others who based their decision to buy a ZG on their site's description. I was just checking to get a link to post and as of today it's changed! That's like an admission of guilt. If anyone wants to see what the seat's description used to read send me an email. I have it saved. It was in 3 different places on their site and they are all changed.

My garden tractor I replaced has a 22HP Kohler and a 52" deck. We liked it except for the ride. I sold it to a friend who also is impressed with the power from the 22HP Kohler. That's why I buying another mower with an air cooled Kohler didn't seem like a bad idea to me. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-05-24          111470

Yes I have something that shows the suspension seat on the ZG model is identical to the ZD model in their advertising. I saved their website's descriptions to my pc and also printed up copies. Email me for copies if interested. They have been working on changing the website for a couple of weeks where it defined their "deluxe" seat as the same one as the ZD model. It was one of the main selling features and they changed that too. I told them I would hold off spreading the word of their false advertising because we were working on a settlement. At least I sent it to enough friends that I have evidence of the change. They couldn't switch seats because the ZD's seat supposedly won't fit the ZG. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-05-24          111472

About the engine dieseling...First the dealer told me I was using bad gas. Then he told me to idle the engine for a few seconds before turning off the key. I was doing that. Now he's blaming the new emissions instead of addressing the problem. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-24          111476

Ahh, maybe we found the problem.

The ZD & ZG do, I believe, have the same seat, BUT on the ZD the seat is connected to a suspension system, not on the ZG though.

Does the webpage you have saved says the ZG has the same seat, or the same SUSPENSON under the same seat?

BTW, the Kubota Canada site and .pdf's (which have NOT been changed) show the ZG has having an non-suspension seat, and the ZD as having a suspension seat.

Best of luck. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-05-24          111478

The ZG brochure says "deluxe" seat. The online description used to read "DELUXE SEAT Designed to offer maximum support and comfort. You'll work longer and with less fatigue when riding on our standard deluxe, link-type suspension seat with armrests." I see Kubota changed their description on their website sometime yesterday or today. I'm retired with a bad back. I tested a ZD21. I didn't need a diesel for my mowing needs so I chose the ZG23 based on the above incorrect information from Kubota's site. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-24          111479

If you have caught their mistake they may take your machine back and give you a deal on the upgrade to a diesel unit.

The problem is brochures and the website advertising stuff don't obligate them to anything. Unless you could prove that they intentionally misled the public even the law won't help any. There are very clear warnings about just exactly this sort of thing. It's strictly "buyer beware".

Did you order the machine from a brochure or just not notice at the dealers that it had no suspension in the seating?

Best of luck. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-05-24          111480

Does their website have a disclaimer about inaccuracies or the right to change specifications without notice? ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-24          111481

At the bottom of every page is a link to a page called "Legal", the first two paragraphs of that page explicitly say that they, nor related companies (read dealers) can held liable for anything.

Best of luck. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-05-24          111488

We are pursuing this through legal channels. Kubota has offered a full refund on my now used ZG23. They have also offered me a ZD model for exchange at list price(!) which is ridiculous. All I want is the advertised suspension seat on a 54" zero turn mower that I can use. That means a ZD18 or ZD21 would meet my needs. There is no suspension seat available for the ZG models as was advertised and I based my decision on to buy the ZG23.

The attorney general is filing a consumer fraud claim against Kubota. They said Kubota "grossly mirepresented" the ZG models and can't go around abusing their "joke" of a legal disclaimer. Kubota changing their site is the result of a month of negotiations between me and Kubota. Now it's time for them to pay for the misleading advertising. I also have several other consumer advocates willing to pursue this matter against Kubota. If it goes as far as the court room it will be a class action suit. If that happens all ZG owners will benefit. It would be wise for Kubota to settle this out of court. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-25          111510

Hang on a minute.

Are you saying that you bought a ~$8,000 mower based on a single sentence on the Kubota website ?

That you never checked the actual machine to verify it was what you wanted before you bought it and took delivery of it ??

That you never looked at in person first ???

I'm finding all this a little too hard to believe.

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-05-25          111513

I can see it. A guy test drives the ZD, gets a price, and then goes home to mull it over. He doesn't want to spend that much and decides maybe the gas version would be adequate for his needs. The website shows that the features he cares about are standard on the gas version, so he makes a decision to save some money.

I'm sure Kubota didn't intentionally misrepresent anything, but all companies have internal communication problems between engineering, marketing, documentation and IT. Look at all the misprints in the JD manuals and specification sheets. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-05-25          111514

I tested a ZD21 because that's all that was available.

The "deluxe" seat is advertised in the Kubota brochure.

There was only one "Deluxe" seat described online and it had the link type suspension.

As previously stated I have no need for a diesel, so Kubota's description of the ZG23 sounded perfect for our needs. My dealer knew about my concerns and health. I've been retired for 17 years due to back problems. He only let me test the ZG23 on his blacktop where it felt fine. When I got it home that day is when I noticed the difference in ride due to lacking the advertised seat. That was over a month ago. So far I got Kubota to change their misleading online advertising so this won't be a problem for any future buyers. I wish there was an acceptable suspension seat available for the ZG23 and we wouldn't have this problem. They (Kubota and the dealer) could simply replace the seat. Instead they want to install a suspension seat from a large tractor and have me sign a waiver that would void their warranty. The seat won't even work making operating the ZG23 dangerous. No wonder they want a waiver of liability. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
project_x

2005-05-25          111517

mc2crazy,
if the seat wasn't what you were looking for, why would you even bother to take delivery? If there willing to take it back, wouldn't that solve the problem? ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-25          111518

OK, now we're getting somewhere. It's hard to foillow what happened when it's just little typed out tidbits of a story too big to recite online.

First of all, shame on your dealer for not knowing, and explaining things better.

Second, Kubota and the dealer have VERY wide latitiude in what they can do to rectify the situation. They have the ability to take your unit back, call it a 'demo' and resell it with a full waranty (starting fromdate of the next purchase).

Next, I would advise you NOT to allow anyone, including Kubota, to modify the machine if you don't necessarily want to keep it.

Finally, I would suggest you keep pushing Kubota (firmly, but politely) to replace the unit. Do everything in writing and stay as calm and business-like as possible. Each time you contact them go further up the corporate chain of command. Go all the way to Torrance california, if that doesn't work don't be afraid to contact the big boys in Osaka Japan.

Best of luck. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
Art White

2005-05-25          111527

Just a thought but has anyone checked the air pressure? Should be under 10 lbs depend ing on your weight. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-05-25          111534

Yes Art, I checked the tire pressure. All of them were different. The manual says 40psi front and 20psi rear. I started by cutting that in half to 20/10. Then I went to 8psi in the rear. It helps, but isn't a cure.

Right now all we're using the ZG23 for is cutting where I can't get at with my JD4310 with a Bush Hog 72" finishing mower. The JD has a very nice adjustable seat and a better ride. I hate it though when the next day the grass pops up where it was run over by the tractor twice before being cut. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
Art White

2005-05-26          111550

Last year with the moisture we had here we had to have the loaders removed even with mid mounts to not have that happen. You are caught between a rock and a hard place on the mowers. As much as I like kubota they normally are very conservative on there statements compared to many of the other brands. I have checked all the sales manuals that they gave us at the introduction as well as since then and none have said anything of the suspension just the deluxe seat. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-05-26          111562

All I know is what Kubota advertised. The "deluxe" seat in the brochure was described as a link type suspension seat online. They changed it because everyone in Kubota Corp in the US has heard from me over the last 4 weeks. I want that seat and it isn't and never has been available for the ZG series... which I found out the hard way after I bought it. ....

Kubota ZG mower review

View my Photos
mc2crazy

2005-06-01          111846

The seat is not the only issue. The 23HP gas "Kubota" Kohler keeps running and/or backfires when turning it off. I changed the oil at about 10 hours and it had some unusually large pieces of (aluminum?) metal in it. The dealer first blamed it on bad gas, then said I was shutting it off wrong, then blamed the new emissions. Other than that it runs fine, but for how long? It sounds and looks like it's eating up the pistons. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login