Go Bottom Go Bottom

Secret Handshake

View my Photos
rman476
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-11          110957

Had a new B7800 delivered this last Saturday. My first tractor and this is a real newbie question. I have a Woods BB60 Rotary Cutter that I took off so I could hall a trailer and can not get it back on again. I attach the lift arms, no problem. The top link attaches to the cutters clevis, no problem. What I can not get connected is the cutters driveline to the tractors PTO shaft. I spin the shaft so that it lines up with the cutters driveline slide it on and it goes about ½ way. I can not get it to slide all the way so that it will click.

So here’s my question, what am I missing, what is the secret handshake between these two?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Secret Handshake

View my Photos
BrendonN

2005-05-11          110961

There is a locking device on the driveline yoke that engages the groove that goes around the PTO shaft. To install the driveline, the locking system must be released. Depending on the style of yoke, there will be either a spring-loaded cross pin that you push to the side or a spring-loaded collar on the yoke that you pull back. This will let you push the yoke onto the shaft. When the locking system (cross pin or collar) pops back into place and engages the shaft groove, the driveline is locked on. It's good practice to give it a tug to make sure it is secure, though. ....

Secret Handshake

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-11          110962

Depending on the type of pto shaft there is either a button you have to press or a ring you have to pull back to get it to slide all the way on so it can lock in the groove. There may be other types of pto shaft lock mechanisms, but these are the two I have seen. ....

Secret Handshake

View my Photos
AnnBrush
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-11          110963

There is usually a small button on the equipment side of the PTO connection, its located somewhere around the collar of the equipment shaft at the tractor end universal joint. Press the button as you slide the couple over the splined shaft of the PTO, it allows a ball bearing to recess into the connection housing and the female part of the equipment shaft to slip completely over the tractor PTO shaft. Upon retraction of the equipment shaft (pulling back) you should hear a click as the ball bearing comes to rest in the notch cut into the tractors PTO shaft. Alternatively the button is replaced by a ring or collar that is retracted to allow the ball bearing(s) to recess as above. This set up is not unlike the garden hose and hydraulic quick connect fittings. ....

Secret Handshake

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-05-11          110964

Humm, that's odd when I made my reply there were no replies shown on this thread, as soon as I posted (and repeated what everyone else had said) their replies became visible. What gives? ....

Secret Handshake

View my Photos
BrendonN

2005-05-11          110966

Looks like we were all typing out the same thing and clicked "Post my Message" at the same time!

It's a good thing we all agree. Would look a little odd to see three totally different solutions to the problem pop up simultaneously!

Secret Handshake

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-05-11          110969

I noticed that too. The three of us must have pressed send at the same time. At least we're all in agreement! ....

Secret Handshake

View my Photos
smoothie

2005-07-15          113508

I have the BB60 on a B2910. You do have to pull back on the collar as you push forward onto the PTO shaft. The first time you'll think you'll never get it on but after you've done it a few times it gets a little easier.

Good luck. ....

Secret Handshake

View my Photos
jamese

2005-07-19          113672

and the BB60 is the BEST made(in my opinion) ,,you "done good"(just a thought) ....

Secret Handshake

View my Photos
jegenrieder

2005-07-27          113994

I know what you're describing with the BB60 drive shaft.

I put a big wrench through the u-Joint so that I can push the shaft onto the PTO with my thumbs while I pull the collar back with my fingers. Tokk me a very frustrating 45 minutes to come up with that approach.

Jim ....

Secret Handshake

View my Photos
jegenrieder

2005-07-27          113995

I know what you're describing with the BB60 drive shaft.

I put a big wrench through the u-Joint so that I can push the shaft onto the PTO with my thumbs while I pull the collar back with my fingers. Tokk me a very frustrating 45 minutes to come up with that approach.

Jim ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login