Go Bottom Go Bottom

bx FEL is broken

View my Photos
funchy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-14          107990

My bx23 developed a weird problem after the last freezing/snow spell. Bucket tilt works fine. Controlling the lift up/down is the problem.

If I pull the level all the way, it does nothing. If I jiggle it and keep it about halfway between center and bottom, it DOES lower the bucket. Lifting the bucket works but I have to jiggle it upwards. I feel a click (like when you push upper-left into Float position). It doesn't move at all when lever is up into the position it's supposed to be in.

Fluid was a little low, so I added some . Not knowing what else to do, I removed/reconnected FEL hydraulic lines. Still the same problem.

Anything else I can check?

It's still under warranty but I have to pay to have it picked up ($70+) and I'd be without it 2+ weeks. So if I can fix it here I'd be so much happier.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

bx FEL is broken

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-14          107995

Have you run the tractor long enough for warm oil to warm up the valves. Could be some ice build up in the float/detent that is retricting the flow, or ice at the quick-connects. There is usually some condesation that builds up in the float detent case, that could be causing you trouble.

If you haven't tried, let the tractor warm up for at least 15 minutes, then operate the hydraulics. Also check the quick-connects. If one of the poppits is frozen or stuck, your flow could be restricted. Ice, or a stuck quick connect poppit, are good places to start. ....

bx FEL is broken

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-03-14          107996

Make sure your quick-connects are firmly seated. ....

bx FEL is broken

View my Photos
s chrand
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-15          108047

This sounds exactly like the problem I've been having lately with my BX. When I start the tractor, the loader works fine ( I have to raise it to get out of the barn). After plowing snow for an hour or so if I try to raise the FEL... nothing, maybe a little 'jerk'. Won't go down either, unless it's in 'float'. If I put it in and out of float a few times, it starts working again. The bucket control (curl) works every time. I've only had this problem in cold weather, but haven't used the tractor above freezing since I first experienced this back in January. I asked the service manager when I was in getting oil and filters the other day, and he had nothing to offer. It's got me stumped. I'll be anxious to see if it goes away in warm weather.
David ....

bx FEL is broken

View my Photos
jamese

2005-03-15          108081

freezing hyd is a real problem,,dont over rule it ....

bx FEL is broken

View my Photos
funchy

2005-03-16          108136

It was nice & warm out today, so I hopped on the kubota. The problem is GONE! Immediately it worked just fine.

I can only assume it had something to do with freezing. How can I prevent this from happening? Am I doing something wrong? No matter how long I ran the tractor that night, the FEL did the same thing. ....

bx FEL is broken

View my Photos
jamese

2005-03-16          108137

try foam pipe insulation,,cover the hoses ....

bx FEL is broken

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2005-03-16          108138

foam is not going to cure anything when it comes down to absolute temperatures because foam does not GENERATE heat it only retains it thus freezing when the source of the heat is gone.
Wait for a 40 degree day and change your filters and oils. ....

bx FEL is broken

View my Photos
jamese

2005-03-16          108139

JAZ,,,,,,,I partialy agree,,BUT,,the foam insulation will help retain the fluid temp,, ....

bx FEL is broken

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2005-03-16          108142

hydraulic oil should be good for at least 30 below zero, the issue is condensation that is freezing that has to be removed ....

bx FEL is broken

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2005-03-16          108143

hydraulic oil should be good for at least 30 below zero, the issue is condensation that is freezing that has to be removed ....

bx FEL is broken

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-03-16          108144

...untill you shut the machine off and it cools down. Then the foam is just in the way.

The only real cure here is to get the machine into a shed or garage. Weather or not that is practical, is up to you and your budget. Perhaps just a decent canvas cover made for the machine will help keep out some of the moisture. ....

bx FEL is broken

View my Photos
beagle

2005-03-16          108148

The condensation is from the reservoir, I would think covering the machine is a good idea, but probably would not cure the condensation issue. If you let the machine warm up enough, and let the oil get warm enough to thaw the valves, you should be able to operate it fine.

Insulation helps retain heat by blocking heat transfer. I wouldn't recommend covering any hydraulic components with insulation. Dissipating heat from the system during normal use is pretty important. Most of the losses in a hydraulic system become heat, which needs to be dissipated from the system as quickly as possible. Insualting the lines will do nothing to keep them from freezing, only block the cooling and heat dissipation the system needs to function properly.

Just patience, let the tractor warm before using the hydraulics. You want to do this anyhow to make sure you have good fluid flow to the drive-train. ....

bx FEL is broken

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-03-16          108150

You said it was a little low on fluid, that gives room for air and as a result , condensation forms which turns to ice!!

Recommend that you cycle the loader 15 - 20 times to bleed all air and refill to proper FULL level!! Cycle again to displace all air then top off to correct level!!, Should end your problem!!!
Dean ....

bx FEL is broken

View my Photos
beagle

2005-03-16          108151

I try to keep mine full to the top line on the stick. There still seems to be enough air in the reservoir to get some condesation in the valves, and some freezing (IMHO). When the air in the reservoir cools with the oil, there is some condensation left behind. The reservoir shouldn't be filled past the top line on the dipstick, or the oil level could intefere with the return flow causing foaming and other problems.

For sure, keeping the oil level to the top mark should reduce the problem as much as possible. ....

bx FEL is broken

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-03-18          108286

One thing not mentioned is how many hours and have you serviced it yet? If you did (or had it done) did they use super UDT? I service all my own stuff. Belive it or not, my local Kubota dealer uses 15 40 all year in the engines and Case hydro fluid in everything. Some of these dealers are not all that great. They could have used cheap hydro oil. They just started making the bx23 a couple of years ago. You clearly shouldn't be having any issues with such a new machine. My BX sits in a cold garage all winter for weeks straight and fires up and after a good warm up, works fine. Be sure you let it warm up for at LEAST 15-20 minutes in the bitter cold or you will do more harm than good. You have a freeze problem for sure and you shouldn't. Dump that fluid and fill it with super udt, change the filter as well. I would be off the wall if my machine was still under warranty and it did this. I can bet they used hydro fluid from a 1/2 full 55 gallon drum that had some water in there.

Check the fluid on the stick, should not look at all creamy but nice and clear like a good beer! ....

bx FEL is broken

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-03-18          108291

An additional note worth mentioning: Your Little Guy arrives in a crate with the Hyd Control laying in the bottom with the entire thing covered in vis queen and with wet weather, melting snow etc. ponds begin to develop on / in the vis queen , even my control unit was discolored and rusty inside the little detent stopped functioning!!

All was replaced under warranty yesterday!!

PM me if you need more info!!
Dean ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login