Go Bottom Go Bottom

Most Tractor For The Dollar II

View my Photos
johnfundy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-02-22          106604

Let me re-phrase this. Givin the readers experience, would you folks rather do heavy residential loader work with an older farm tractor the has good weight (3000LBs) and good HP (30+HP) but with standard tranny, 2WD and maybe no PS, or would you rather use a CUT with 4WD, HST,and PS?? That is the real question here. Thanks again for the input.

John Fundy

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-02-22          106606

For heavy residential loader work I would be looking at a skid steer.
In those conditions a skid steer can take more abuse, out performe and out manuver a tractor hands down.. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-22          106608

When you state you wish to have a loader to do heavy residental work, what are you attempting to do?

Most small 2WD farm tractors in the 35 HP range probably weigh more in the 4500 lb. range. I have an old MF135 with loader and backhoe. Without the backhoe, it falls in that weight range and is rated at 35HP. I think it is a 70's model with PS and loaded tires. It has a 72" wide bucket and light-duty loader frame which has been bent several times. The clutch on this tractor sucks. It raises and lowers vertically rather than forward in and out. It is hard for me to control and particularly position a tractor next to a dump truck, etc. If you are going to compare its use to a modern CUT in that same power range with 4WD and hydro with a loader lift capacity of about 1,000-1,200 lbs. you would prefer the CUT. This does not in my opinion fit the category of heavy residental use. The problem is your budget needs to be increased.

If you are going to consider a farm tractor, look at an older Deere or Case/IH in 2WD with PS that is in the 40-50 HP range. The loader frame is much heavier and can handle a 72" or 84" wide bucket. This kind of tractor weighs in the 5,000-6000 lb. range and can lift in the 2,000-3000 range. For $7,000.00 you should be able to get one of these in good condition that was built in the 70/80's with relatively low hours. This kind of tractor will do heavy residental work and is a beast. You will not want to drive on a finished lawn but can grade and load massive amounts of dirt, sand or stone and can pick and place some decent size boulders(rocks). You need to look around for a good tractor at a good price. If you buy it "right" you may be able to sell it, at or close to cost after you are done. ....

View my Photos
johnfundy

2005-02-22          106615

Thanks so much yooperpete. Thats exactly the kind of response I was looking for. My budget allows for (2) tractors of about $5K or $6K each, ( 1 for mowing , 1 for loader) or one CUT for about $12K that does both. Although the CUT will be lighter (1600LBS + attachments) and less HP, the 4WD,PS,and Hydro make up for some of the difference. For all I have to do, sounds like the CUT would be best. Some of those older Ford 600's and 800,s are available for $5K w/ loader, but I have no experience with them.

Thanks,

JF

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-02-23          106710

I have to go along with Dkvince. Not that yoopers info was wrong. I say this because we still dont know exactly what you using the loader work for? IMO If you bought a used LS170 or their abouts you would be able to do most all of the loader work you could do with a tractor but in half the time. (Sounds like your planning to job yourself out) Time is money and a skidsteer will outperform a tractor any day,time,month of the year for loader work. There is no comparison. They are small enough that you can fit it on a trailer and buy yourself a brand new mowing machine (zero turn) for that portion and fit both of them on your trailer at the same time. (Ever try and manuver a tractor on a trailer thru the city streets?)
Here is what I come to on numbers. 5K for a decent mower that will out cut a tractor all day long and about 7K for a used skid steer. Up that to 10K for the skidsteer and you have a great machine. If I had mowing and loader work that is what I would do. (Not to mention all the attatchments out there you can rent for that skid steer)
If its rough mowing your doing just buy a skidsteer with aux hydraulics and buy a rottary brush cutter for it.
ps. I love my tractor but cant wait till I buy a skidsteer again. There is nothing like buzzing back and forth doing loader work. Fun fast and safe ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-02-23          106715

I think we need more information on what John considers heavy duty loader work.
Compact tractors are very versitile machines, good for mowing, brush mowing, tilling, grading, light to medium loader work, ect.etc..
For heavy residential loader work I would be looking for something better suited for the job.
My opinion..

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-24          106734

The information that I gave for John was based on a comparision of a CUT and medium sized 2WD farm tractors. He had mentioned nothing about a skidsteer. Yes, a skidsteer may be a good alternative!

I don't know what his definition of heavy residental loader use is either. That is why I stated tractor weights, lift capacities and the "Beast" nomenclature since that size tractor don't fit in small places. I also attempted to state a few applications it would be good for.

A CUT is not necessarily the ideal implement for any specific task but can do a little of everything. Likewise, skidsteers can do a bunch of things with all of the attachments and are bulletproof. ....

View my Photos
johnfundy

2005-02-24          106740

My loader work will be driveway maintenance, snow pushing/removel, earth moving and some general leveling of ground. Not big time stuff, but certainly more than moving loose mulch from point "A" to point "B". Some loaders are glorified wheelbarrows and thats what I do not want. I'd like the loader to have a lift capacity close to 1000LBS.
minimum. Naturally, a used skidsteer type machine is optimum, but strictly cost prohibitive at this ponit as initial cost is too high and so are attachemnts. The choice is old farm tractor with loader, 2WD, gear shift Vs. CUT with 4WD, PS, HSD.

Maybe things are a little more clear now. Thanks in advance for replys.

Kind Regards,

JF ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-02-24          106764

OK,
You will probably get along fine with a 4 wheel drive compact tractor for that type of work.

View my Photos
johnfundy

2005-02-25          106779

Thanks guys. I'll be looking at a green 4100 along with a B1750 this weekend, both about 5 yrs. old, super low hours, and both around 10K.

JF ....

View my Photos
mbking22

2005-02-25          106782

If you're looking at spending $12k, why not try to find a used BX22? It's got fel, bh, you could pick up mowers, etc. and have a great all around machine. My bx2200 has a fel & bb and does a good job on my 10 acres. I also keep 3 - 4 acres mowed pretty handily. I can't imagine not having 4wd now. I'd opt for less hp and 4wd any day. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-02-25          106787

From what you described earlier as heavy residental tasks, both tractors you're looking at may be on the light side in power and capacity. I may be wrong, but don't think either has a actual loader lift capacity of 1,000 lbs. Granted, smaller tractors can get most heavier jobs done but take a longer. They are better for getting in tight spots and mowing and do a decent job of grading and other maintenance.

But, if your planning on heavy loader use for hauling stone or lifting big decorative rocks you may be disappointed. It is an individual thing, what some guys think of as light duty work may be heavy to others. A lot of guys on this board have been asking if they can tweak the loaders to lift more. I'm not trying to downgrade the smaller tractors, just trying to give you a heads up.

My tractor's loader has a 1675 breakout capacity with 900 lb lift capacity to full height. Wish I had anothe 300 to 500 lbs. more at times. ....

View my Photos
johnfundy

2005-02-25          106790

Not very excited about the sub-compacts, and for the few times I need a back hoe, I'll rent a machine. My main concern is mowing, loader and a little box scraper. Compacts such as B1750 and JD 4100 have lift capacities of roughly 800Lbs. which will never be perfect, but well enough for most of the time. I have a tractor rental right down the road who will rent me a Bobcat for the once-in-while big jobs. As soon as I start creeping up to bigger loaders, the cost goes up and I start to lose focus of what I need. On the flip side, as I said before, I could always stay within budget and keep existing B6200 for mowing and spend about $7K on an old farm tractor with loader. However, that probably means no 4WD or HSD, and I'm back to he original question of: Given a cost budget, would you rather do loader work with a CUT with 4WD,PS,and HSD or a farm tractor that is bigger and has better loaer capacity but only 2WD,gear tranny and psssibly no PS?

Thanks again, I'm enjoying the thread.

JF

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login