Go Bottom Go Bottom

transmission breakdown

View my Photos
scotthold
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-02-14          106069

L2900 with tranny problems, they say that I need a new valvebody and that it is a non-servicable part and runs around $3000.00. Doesn't seem right that there should be a non-servicable part at that cost, anyone know about this, the tractor has around 1300hrs.

Scott

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

transmission breakdown

View my Photos
dedeye
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-05          110722

I am begining to think that the transmitions in these things are the "weakest link". You had a good one if you got past 500 hrs! I had a total transmition failure at 500 hrs. totaling $3200.00 . I love the hydrostatic drive for it's smooth operation and infinite speed but hate it's obvious dependability issues....

If it ain't broke.....It will be... ....

transmission breakdown

View my Photos
jerryb1973
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-05          110724

Was just about to order a 3130HST tomorrow. This is the first I have heard of getting only 500hrs. out of a tranny before a major rebuild. I would like to know more about the reliability of the HST. Comments from other would be interesting or if there is another thread that I have missed, please let me know. thanks ....

transmission breakdown

View my Photos
dedeye
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-05          110733

jerryb1973 Don't get me wrong I love the tractor(B2400 ) Pound for pound I think anyone would be hard pressed to find a tractor that would out perform these things, that being said that is also what I believe is part of the problem. These little powerhouses are capable of producing more pulling power per pound of weight than a full size 4x4 truck. The problem is that they are not engineered to do so and people are not engineered to know when they are over working one! I bought my tractor used so I can not testify to any abuse the previous owner may have subjected it to But.......I still think Kubota should share or assume at least partial responsability for what in my oppinion is a weak link in the product.
To summarize: Great tractor and given the feedback I gathered prior to my buying it worth the risk of trans failure. After having experienced a trans failure would I buy another hydrostatic drive tractor? ABSOLUTELY!

If it ain't broke..... It will be........ ....

transmission breakdown

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-05-06          110742

jerryb,

Have no fear about buying your 3130HST. It will be a very reliable machine with basic maintenance and a little common sense. The trouble with purchasing a used machine is just what Dedeye mentioned; you don't know anything about how the previous owner treated it. Change the fluid and filters when recommended, don't mash the HST pedal, and don't push the tractor faster than it wants to go. You'll surely get a lifetime of use. The components in Kubota's tractors seem to be well matched IMO and they are designed to take a good amount of abuse, however the world will ALWAYS produce a bigger idiot.

Buy with confidence.

transmission breakdown

View my Photos
Art White

2005-05-06          110746

If one was to break here are the reasons they have failed but not to say that many go well beyond 10,000 hours of operation with out a single failure. Number one reason, lack of maintence! Low or no oil or changes when needed. Number two, lack of knowledge of operation! When putting high stresses on a hydro for pulling heavy loads they need all the oil pressure they can get which means near full throttle and possibly a lower range! Other then that, they don't fail as much as clutches, shift linkages and the gears in transmissions. ....

transmission breakdown

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-06          110748

Something sounds funny about that to me.

If you look at my picture # 6 you will see I have a bit of experience with Kubota HST's. Those units sometimes run 36 hours straight during snow storms, we 'hot swap' operators in the field using the fuel truck as the taxi to take out a fresh operator and bring the spent one in for some bunk time.

We have not had a single HST unit failure, yet, nor have I heard of one giving out. I speak regularly with other operators in this area and between all of us we probably operate over 100 units commercially in total.

The only thing I can think of is that the hydraulic fluid was contaminated and scored the valve badly, or some simple thing like a spring in the valve broke.

I would get a second opinion from a large reputable fluid power shop. There are many of them around that specialize in repair hydrostatic drives like those found in TLB's, payloaders and the like. A valve body generally cost a few hundred, not thousands, of dollars.

Best of luck.

transmission breakdown

View my Photos
dedeye

2005-05-06          110761

After re-reading my first comment on this thread I began to feel like I was more negative than I intended to be. Oh the "sting" of a big repair bill is sometimes difficult to over come especialy when it is over the repairs of a "toy" your wife said you didn't need in the first place.

If it ain't broke.....It will be... ....

transmission breakdown

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-06          110764

Dedeye, I m still a little mystified by your description of "a total transmition failure".

As for "what in my opinion is a weak link in the product." you need to re-read my post. My units plow snow commercially for a living, full throttle, full blade of snow, plus a sander on the 3pth.

With thousands of hours on each of dozens of machines not one single failure.

If you're "total transmission" only cost $3,200 then Scott should go back to his dealer, they want $3,000 for just the valve body.

I suspect your machine suffered a "mechanical failure caused by a loose nut behind the wheel" (not referring to you of course, you did say you bought it used).

If that is the case I doubt that a) Kubota should do anything about it, or b) that it relates to any short-comings of the machine itself.

Best of luck. ....

transmission breakdown

View my Photos
dedeye

2005-05-06          110777

Murf
By total failure I mean grinding,crunching, snapping, popping.
You know the kind of noise one might associate with a cement block in a cloths drier! Not the kind of thing you would expect to hear from a hydro trans! The only diagnosis I ever got from the dealer was that the trans was junk and needed to be rebuilt.
The point I was trying to make and a poor try it was, was to say no matter how good anyone says one product is over another there are cases where things just arent perfect and mine happened to be one of them.Sometimes people don't take as good of care of things as they should and i have a feeling my tractor is one of them.
Since the tractor was repaired I can find no fault with it at all and as I previously stated would have no problem purchasing another just like it.
Iv'e got to tell you Murf that is a very impressive line up you have there. You must feel like a kid in a candy store!

transmission breakdown

View my Photos
Murf

2005-05-06          110778

Some days I have the same problem as Hugh Hefner must have...

Which one do I play with today ...... ;->

Best of luck. ....

transmission breakdown

View my Photos
Wildman1

2005-05-07          110796

Well the final bill came in for the transmission at 6950.00, the valve body was bad and the transmission had stripped gears, I did find out that the cluch arm (something like that) was a weak point in these models (the glide shift) and Kubota extended the warrenty for 5years but never told anyone that it was a weak part so now that it is out of warrenty tough luck, well tough luck Kubota I just bought a JD 110 LC and it puts the Kubota to shame. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login