Go Bottom Go Bottom

Knocking down brush and small trees

View my Photos
mbking22
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-27          105034

I've got these little brush trees that grow like weeds. I started knocking them down & uprooting w/my bx2200 fel. These things can get big. Some are 4" diameter. It's such a feeling of victory!! I almost gave myself a heart attack last summer before the 2200 chain sawing and using pruners. The tractor makes it so easy--and FUN! First I push them about 2-3 feet above ground level, them dig under. Keep repeating till the tree gives up the ghost. This 2200 is a strong little tractor. Dont try it without weight on back though.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
mbking22

2005-01-27          105036

Well, while I'm braggin, let me tell you about this blackberry brush. 8 - 9 ft high. REAL THICK. The stuff was just taking over parts of my pasture. I just uproot it with my FEL and BB. You have to be careful, you CAN get scratched. Again, it must be some primal 'man defeats nature's aggravations' deal. I have just enjoyed the heck out of defeating it. ....

View my Photos
havoctec

2005-01-27          105042

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new tool. I think we have all experienced that satisifaction.
I've always wanted to try it on something like a D9 cat!! ....

View my Photos
mbking22

2005-01-27          105050

The light weight of it has to be accounted for when pushing stuff down. I've thought about either a 2910, 7800, or else a bx23. I'd really have some jobs for fel AND Backhoe! Yah, a CAT would just be a dream come true to knock stuff down! ....

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-27          105086

I used my 7800 to clear a fence row this past summer and had about as much fun as the previous posters. The weight and the power of the 7800 made the job easy, clearing brush up to 3-4" in diameter. Push it over and blade it out with the FEL. Did about 800' in a couple hours one afternoon.

Great machine. ....

View my Photos
mbking22

2005-01-28          105107

If I go up in size, I think the 7800 would be a good fit. Do you finish mow with yours? I'm trying to grow bermuda grass & the RFM I use now works pretty well. It's a Bush Hog brand. I'll bet the 7800 rides a little better than the 2200 also, which is very important at my age. it's still 100x better than the old Craftsman though. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-28          105110

Last weekend I pushed a new trail through thick saplings. It's an area of aspen regeneration where the saplings are 1" to 3" (most about 1") in diameter and so thick it is difficult to walk through them. I just put the Kubota in 4th gear low range dropped the bucket about a foot off the ground and pushed through about 600'. The saplings went down in waves, many of them breaking off near ground level. It was like pushing a trail through a mature corn field.

I agree. Knocking down trees and brush is great fun! But I'll have to stop making new trails. My friends are starting to give me a hard time about the "Kubota trail density."
Dave ....

View my Photos
plots1

2005-01-28          105113

I have gottin in on some of that fun making trails through my timber. Having upgraded to a larger machine than the 790 Deere almost makes it feel like your on a Cat, as pushing tree's 6 to 8 inches and larger( root and all out) is now nothin for the 5205 as it weights almost triple the 790 and has twice the HP. ....

View my Photos
mbking22

2005-01-28          105114

Plots1, you're just having too much fun! I looked at your tractors. Nice! That big JD must be fun to just crank and sit in. We've got a big population of deer here in Ga., I'm not a hunter, but wouldn't hesitate to bag one for the venison. Happy hunting! ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-01-28          105115

Plots, I remember a few years ago sitting on a 5000 series JD and thinking that this was the tractor I wanted some day. Then when I seriously started looking and found out the price... I had to downsize my thinking considerably. :)

Dave ....

View my Photos
plots1

2005-01-28          105116

Mbking22, I think your talking about the cab tractor (6410) Well I wish that was mine but it's not. It is my neibors , them are some pics of him cuttin my hay field and drilling holes for the fence I put up last season. That is most of the reason I upgraded to a larger machine. I needed something that was capible of doing more so as I didn't have to keep asking for his help.The 790 is a tough little machine but very limited compared to the 5205. I'm now able to do ALMOST any thing I need to on my own.I still borrow a few of his implements every now an then but soon I hope to get all my own. JUST NEED MORE MONEY>>>>>> LOL. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-01-28          105117

I use a log skidding choker cable hooked up to my 4410's draw bar and pull trees like this out by the roots while the ground is soft this time of year. In fact I pulled a 3 inch diameter black walnut tree out this way last year and was able to transplant it to another location. It had sprung up too close to the house and was rubbing on the rain gutters. The tree made through this summer and is doing fine. I was surprised at how easy the tree pulled up. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2005-01-28          105134

king, I do finish mow with m7 7800. I use a RFM nad like the convenience. Without the loader on, the tractor can definitely move around well enough to do a good joib of it without doing any damage to the lawn. The FEL just makes the front too heavy, causing some rutting on turns.

No problem without it. ....

View my Photos
mbking22

2005-01-28          105141

Thanks Beagle! Of course, the only thing standing in the way of me getting another tractor is the slight, small problem of MONEY!! HA! But the good thing about not having millions is you shop & investigate & make a good decision ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-02-08          105781

Plots1 - what would you guess that drill seeder in your pics wieghts? How many HP would you speculate a tractor would need to run it? ....

View my Photos
plots1

2005-02-08          105799

Grassgod, it's not that heavy at all,about 300 pounds or so. As far as horse power it would not take very much, your machine would pull it real easy. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-02-08          105800

What do they cost about & where can I find one used or new?
Thanks for the reply! ....

View my Photos
plots1

2005-02-08          105801

I almost had one at an farm sale for $400 but got out bid,it end up selling for $500. That one in my pic is my neibors. I'm still looking. ....

View my Photos
jd60kid

2005-02-09          105849

plots,
Where are you in Missouri???

Were In Callaway County

Aaron ....

View my Photos
plots1

2005-02-09          105867

Macon Co Missouri ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login