Go Bottom Go Bottom

front axle gear oil or super udt

View my Photos
cthonestguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-07          103791

My BX2200 book says I can use either Super UDT or SAE80 or SAE90. Go figure. One extreme to the other if you ask me. My front axle seals are leaking on the machine and I was considering putting in the thicker gear oild to see if it slows it down rather than go through the hassle of tearing it down. Has anyone switched from UDT to gear oil? If you have any issues?

Seems strange you can swap fluids od such different viscosities? Happy Friday..Jim

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
ksmmoto
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-08          103797

I switched to 80w-90. It works fine. My seals did not leak at all with either. My dealer recomended the gear oil as they did have a few tractors that were weeping with UDT.

In my opinion gear oil is better for the gears. Much greater film strenth.

ksmmoto ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-08          103799

Our first step is to go to the gear oil when we see weeping. Sometimes it is just some debris that might have gotten into the seal to hold it open. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-08          103800

Art, if you remember, several weeks ago I posted and the seal was leaking then it repaired itself and this is what you told me. I thought it was good as new now it started again and the other side is leaking a little. I'm going to try the gear oil seeing it seems it should be ok for the front axle, just seems strange you can put two entirely differnt fluids in there but I guess it's not like a hydro pump where it has to be close to the same viscosity. Gears have much more clearance for the thicker oil I would assume is the case.

On that note, my scag hydro came through with hydro oil in it and you can put pretty much anything in there, dexron, hydro oil, 10w30, 20w50 or even straight 30. I almost think you can dump the Costco big jug of olive oil in my scag and it will run on it.

I called the local dealer to see if there was anything they could do as far as a possible silent recall and they are researching it. (5 days of research now and no call back). It's probably too old year wise to do anything being a 2000 or 2001 but 282 hours and leaks like this shouldn't go hand in hand. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-01-08          103801

I know better then what your dealer told you as the scags just like every other hydro transaxle has it's preference for longevity! ....

View my Photos
Roadkill

2005-01-09          103864

I have a L2500DT and if changing the pivot seal is anything like mine then its a piece of cake and about 30.00 per seal. I changed mine and am using 90 wt with no problems........rc ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-09          103868

That's good news, I'll order the seals and try it myself. I looked at the parts break down and it doesn't look too bad.

that is where it's leaking from. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-10          103890

Over the years we have pretty much figured out that a lot of 'leaks' in Kubota front axles are in fact caused by merely expansion.

When a machine spends an extended period of time parked in extreme cold temp's the axle is aclimatized and everything has shrunk to it's absolute minimum. As soon as you get the machine moving two problems arise, first the seals are hard, and the axle is very cold. As soon as the machine starts to warm up the oil is the first thing to expand, this seems to force oil out past the seals.

We have experimented with 'leaky' axles in the past. We put a magnetic heater on the sump and the 'leak' stopped.

We also discovered that the stuff that Lucas Oil Products sells is top notch stuff and will also stop a lot of this.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-10          103930

Murf, before I tear it apart for no reason what Lucas product or products do you suggest I try for the front axle fluid or additive?

Also, is there a good mail order place to get them?

Thanks for the reply...Jim ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-10          103961

There are several 75w-90 and 80w-90 synthetic gear lubes on the market now.

Given the tiny capacity of the front axle and the snowy New England winters, it might be something you should consider.

There is a significant difference in the pour point between synthetic gear lube and dino gear lube.

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-11          103984

I use the 75/90 gear oil and am quite happy with it's performance.

I have clients in the south that use the Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer straight, but in cold weather that stuff can be almost cut into cubes with a knife.

The Lucas products are very widely available through auto parts stores and departments, you should even be able to find them in places like Wally World.

All of their products are top drawer stuff. I poured some power steering stop leak of theirs into the car of a visitor a while back, they didn't want to do a big repair far from home, so they just wanted a band-aid to get the car back home. I had never used or put much faith into that type of stuff before. The guy said it not only stopped the leak but made such an improvement of the feel of the steering he stopped along the way home and put some Lucas stuff into the tranny and the engine also. He absolutely raved about the stuff.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Lucas Syn. Gear Oil.

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-11          103996

Thanks for the link Murph. I am going to buy some today and change it on thursday. It's supposed to spike to 55 on thursday then cold again. probably a good day to change it out. Thanks for the info. It's appreciated..Jim ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-18          104411

Here is an update. I switched to synthetic. I couldn't get the Lucas here in anything but regular conventional. I ended up going with Valvoline 75/90 full syn as per several good comments about it on this site. It's colder than cold here in New England these days but so far no more leaks or drips. I put a few hours on it already.

Not 100% sure it will be leak free until it warms up a little but Murf...Looks like you made a good call. Thanks!

Just a dumb question. Is the synthetic oil much thinner than conventional? I poured that stuff out like it was 10w30. It wasn't like honey like regular gear oils. I was surprised when I poured it how "thin" it seemed compared to 80 weight gear oil???

Thanks again for the advice, 40 bucks and it sems to be all better....Jim ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login