Go Bottom Go Bottom

4x4 broke on my bx

View my Photos
cthonestguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-02          103308

I was giving my BX2200 a good workout today and all of a sudden I was stuck. I realized I didn't have 4WD. I got under the machine to find the front drive shaft came apart at the center link u-joint. Looks like there was a shear pin in there and it came apart. Sort of odd they would have a shear pin on a splined shaft??? Long and short is I can't figure how the pin broke and it came apart. Did this happen to anyone else ever out there? Seems like it's ok. part of the shear pin was left and I tapped it back in. I have every size but the one I need- murphy's law.....Jim

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4x4 broke on my bx

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-02          103331

I can only think of one in the past altough the customer is a mechanic he couldn't figure out why. He has since upgraded this past spring to a BX23 for the hoe from the 2200. This fellow definitely gets all he can from a tractor as far as use as he takes care of 8 acres with it. Property has woods of about 3 acres and a stream thru a gourge that has a lawn and top side for a house. ....

4x4 broke on my bx

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-02          103334

I have to admit I was working it real hard and pulling up some big rocks. actually had to push them because it wouldn't lift them. No unusual noise or anything just stopped working and I looked under it and saw the shaft hangine there. It took all of 5 minutes to fix. But I need to get a new pin. Not sue why there would be a shear pin on a splined shaft? I'm tempted to replace it with a bolt of a soft grade. ....

4x4 broke on my bx

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-03          103339

Stick with the pin just to ensure that if it is a shear pin that it will shear instead of breaking the shaft. Talking with the parts people we have one fellow who has broken it several times. He has admitted that he often doesn't put the tractor into four wheel drive until he is in trouble or stuck and this is where it has happened. I don't know what the wisdom of kubota is with these parts but it does seem strange that a splined shaft would have an actual shear pin for protection. ....

4x4 broke on my bx

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-03          103342

I think that the shear pin speaks to the possibility there is a very weak link somewhere else in these tractors and instead of re engineering it properly, they cheaply added a weak shear pin to protect the real weak spot. Warranty shear pins are cheap, not much else is. ....

4x4 broke on my bx

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-03          103349

This sounds like the story. The only force would be front to back force where the shaft is shoved har into the knuckle. You would think something simple like having a deeper female side on the knuckle and a longer splined shaft to slide freely would solve the problem. This is my only complaint with 300 hours on this machine pretty much other than minor electrical connections that got dirty. I'd much rather replace a pin than a shaft any day. I was working it too hard I must admit and it was in 4x4 the whole time. ....

4x4 broke on my bx

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-03          103374

It sound like you are talking about a sleeve that couples both shafts and the pin just keeps it in place. In that case, twisting force has no effect on the pin? If that were the case, I would re-engineer that shaft to never fail in that manner. ....

4x4 broke on my bx

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-03          103376

That's exactly what it does. The only way it would break from twisting would be if the splines stripped. It has to be there for a reason but I just don't know what reason. it is a hole on one side of the knuckle joint that holds it fiexe and the other side floats on the splines.

I was pounding on some huge rocks. It may be there for when you put too much force on the front axle, rather than shove the shaft into your transaxle it breaks the pin?

282 hours and it's the 1st time it broke. Just good luck finding the right size pin. It must be metric. ....

4x4 broke on my bx

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-03          103377

here is the link to the parts list where it broke. look towards the middle of the shaft by bolt #250. pin 180 or 185 broke. Not sure why there are 2 pin part numbers here but this is the pin that broke and here is the design. Seems to me if the front axle bump stops are in place for the axle pivot there is no possible way of over extention of this shaft or the posibility of it being pushed too far in? kind of in the clouds why it's a shear pin and not just a stronger mount? check it out...Jim ....

Link:   

Click Here

4x4 broke on my bx

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-03          103379

sorry, the link posted to the whole parts sheet. look at page 62...Jim ....

4x4 broke on my bx

View my Photos
unit5alive

2005-01-03          103386

After moving over 40 tandam truck &44 1 ton dump trunk loads of dirt,(filled in a sloped lot),i heard a loud bang,the u joint closest to the front end through off 2 caps,pulled off the shaft assembly and kept on working! had to use the diff lock all the time,and bucket on ocasion to get tractor un-stuck! these tractors are tuff! ....

4x4 broke on my bx

View my Photos
s chrand

2005-01-04          103442

From the parts list you have, the part appears to be a roll pin used to secure the 'u'-joint to the shaft, and not a shear pin. Are you sure the pin didn't just work its way loose and not really shear off? It is hard to imagine an instance where enough axial load could be generated to shear the pin.
david ....

4x4 broke on my bx

View my Photos
stemmler1

2005-01-04          103451

The exact same pin broke on my BX1800 three days ago. Luckly I found the pivet bracket before I buried it in the ground. I brought the tractor back to the dealer since I need to have some work done on it anyways. They could not explain why the pin was engineered into the unit but said they had come across the problem before. ....

4x4 broke on my bx

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-04          103464

It clearly broke. I really believe it was from forward back pressure. There is no way it would have bork from twist. only a small section was left. Sounds like it's one of the few flaws with this machine. So far this, both front axle seals leak pretty good, the fuse block is in a lousey spot and gets wet and nasty quickly, the rops don't fold and the seat cracked. other than that it's held up nicely with 280+ hard hours all pretty much loader work and zero mowing. ....

4x4 broke on my bx

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-05          103560

You are being liberal with Kubota, I would be furious if both seals leaked with those few hours. Unless your loader is bent, cracked and looking very abused, and you boosted Hydraulic pressure to overload the axle, It should not leak. I have seen the small Deere(Yanmars) like 755 with leaks in axle but they had well over 1000 hours and looked "rode hard and put away wet". As for the axle, They never seem to break when it is warm and dry any you just pulled into the garage. More likely axle deep in mud or snow and you need to get done, not fool with pins, get it out of the mud or shovel the drive by hand. I believe I would have the shaft welded in a way that would not damage tractor, or stop proper disassembly. ....

4x4 broke on my bx

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-05          103580

Youare right but it's way out of warranty and I bought it used from a divorce settlement. The loader is hardly worn, i don't kill it or bash it I just use it to the best of it's ability!

You are probably right about the axle seals. It has to be a factory defect that both are now leaking. One was leaking then stopped for a couple of weeks and now in the last few days they are both leaking pretty good. It looks like a pretty big job to replace them too so it may be a repair shop fix rather than in my cold garage.

I guess compared to my 1956 international 300 it;s in good shape! I don't know too many "dry" kubotas. I had an old l175 I just sold off that leaked like a bucket full of holes. Pretty much all the kubotas owners I know around here have a few leaks. I am chewing on trying to go by the book and refill the front axle with sae80 to see if it slows down. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login