Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota Switch and key

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-29          103124

Can you take your key out of the switch while the engine is still running?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Being able to pull the key out while it's running is not normal:

There is something wrong with either the switch or the key or maybe both.

I have a 1986 Dodge D-50 PU that I can remove my key from with the motor running.
It certainly isn't supposed to do that.

I thought the switch was defective until the other day when I was using my wife's key. Went to pull it from the switch and couldn't remove it with the engine running- had to shut the motor off to get her key out.

So for those of you having the key fall out problem check your key first by trying a different key in the switch.

If you have a car or truck that does this don't drive it like that as it could be dangerous if the key falls out and you should have to restart quickly in an emergency after an engine stall.

Kubota BX23 with FEL BH & 60" MMM. Del. 9-4-4
L.B.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota Switch and key

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2004-12-29          103153

The key comes out of my 2001 bx2200 when it's running. Not sure if it's by design or not but it has since I got it. I actually found out by mistake one day for what ever reason I pulled it out and was suprised it came out like my 1970 Buick Skylark! ....

Kubota Switch and key

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-12-30          103159

On my old 89 S-10 p/u, my key would pull out with it running. However my wife's key would not, but her's was a factory key and mine was a duplicate from Wal-Mart. I came to the conclusion that it was a combination of her heavy key chain swinging back and forth that helped loosen the switch up some as well as the cheaper metal from the duplicate key which allowed just enough for my key to come out. She no longer has a bunch of key chains hanging off her keys!!! She almost burnt the starter up on another vehicle when it couldn't kick the switch back to on, the key chain had gotten caught on something. ....

Kubota Switch and key

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-12-30          103192

I have 21 keys on my key ring and it's never been a problem on any thing. ....

Kubota Switch and key

View my Photos
dfkrug
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-31          103214

It is a feature of the cheapo series of Kubotas, like the L series ending in "00", that there is no solenoid fuel shut-off. Turning off the engine still requires pulling the mechanical rod to shut off the fuel flow to the injectors. So the key is removeable while the engine is running. ....

Kubota Switch and key

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2004-12-31          103218

not sure what you mean by cheapo models. My bx2200 is pretty expensive for it's class and the key comes out and it's the ONLY way to shut it off. The older kubotas required a pull rod but I'm not aware of any newer ones and not real clear on what Kubota's are Cheapo? ....

Kubota Switch and key

View my Photos
lucerne
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-31          103220

IMO the OO L models are trouble free dependable tough machines. Sometimes more isn't better, it's a way to sell more product and make more profit. My Deere has all the high tech crap. The first machine got sent back because of 5 breakdowns in 15 hours, all electonic 2 times the key operated fuel shut off. I found pulling the rod on the Kubota not so difficult. In my Deere manual it says after shutting the machine down shut off the fuel. That means opening the hood and probably removing the side panel to shut it off and then again to turn it on. Never will be done by me. Seems those double O,s had it right to begin with, two moves with one pull. Who would have ever thunk it? ....

Kubota Switch and key

View my Photos
dfkrug

2004-12-31          103229

Kubota's L series has long had a premium series (ending in 50, then 10, now 30), which they presently call "Grand". In parallel they have had a cheaper series which shared the same motors and sheet metal and damn little else, from what I have seen. Perhaps a more friendly name is "budget", or "double aught". As I recall, all the "00"s I have seen have mechanical fuel shut-off. Somebody on this forum will correct me if I am wrong. I have not made any generalizations about the Kub B-series, but aren't the "budget" Bs the ones labeled "B8200, B7800", etc, and the deluxe equivalents labeled "B2150, B2910", etc? I live to learn.

Finally, in terms of all the extras available on the Grand Ls, versus the "00"s, a comparison of my 1999 L2500 to its equivalent L3010, reveals way more than just a better (more expensive) tranny: The L2500 has no spin-on hydraulic filter, a single-sided (weaker)lower 3-pt support, lighter duty rear axle housings, no forward hydraulic block for loader connection, , no mid PTO, rear relectors instead of lights, etc, etc. ....

Kubota Switch and key

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-01          103256

Hey, this is good info. What is the difference between a bx2200 and a bx2230? are they 2 different machines too? I looked at the 2230 quickly and all I see different is the "cruise control". Are they very differnet machines too? ....

Kubota Switch and key

View my Photos
botamac

2005-01-01          103259

I have a Bx 23 and my key does not come out of the ignition when it’s running. But if you look at the key it only has one cut in the key, so that means there is only one maybe two pins in the switch, maybe try spraying some WD 40 into the lock and see if you un stick the pins worth a try. And most of us who drove a older Chevy the keys always pulled out of the ignition when it was running, great for those quick beer stops. ....

Kubota Switch and key

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-01-01          103263

1*And most of us who drove a older Chevy the keys always pulled out of the ignition when it was running,
2*great for those quick beer stops.
botamac
================
1*You mean like the 1949
and 1960?
2*But not so great if you'd ever have to quickly restart the motor in and emergency but the key wasn't in the switch

Kubota Switch and key

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-01-01          103264

What is the difference between a bx2200 and a bx2230.

Correct me if I'm wrong but i thought the bx 2230 was called a bx2200 starting back around 2001 or there abouts. ....

Kubota Switch and key

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-01          103266

Just trying to figure out the 00 30 10 as mentioned above. My bx2200 doesn't seem like a cheapo compared to the bx2230? the only difference I can find is the cruise control? ....

Kubota Switch and key

View my Photos
dfkrug

2005-01-01          103267

The nomenclature for the "Grand L" series, currently being sold by Kubota has nothing to do with the nomenclature for the B or BX series. All the current Grand L series machines end in 30: L3130, L3430, L3830, etc. The first 2 digits relate to the tractor's gross engine hp. The last Grand L series, which was replaced by the current "30" series was the "10" series (L3010, L3410, L3710, etc). Before that it was the "50" series. During all those periods there were "00" tractors (L2600, L3300, L4300, etc) that were 25% or more cheaper that the similar sized Grand equivalents.

RE the starter key coming out with the engine on, I mean that the switch is turned off first. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login