Go Bottom Go Bottom

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
Manicmech
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-26          102985

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum, as well as Kubotas. I have just had a new home built on 2 1/2 wood acres in Maine and am looking to get a tractor for clearing and landscaping the lot, as well as maintaining the yard when I am done. I know very little about these machines and was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers on a good size and model to look for. I would like to get one with a backhoe, as I have many small to medium sized stumps to pull. When I retire from active duty, I am thinking about starting clearing business, to which this machine would also be usefull. Thanx in advance for any tips you can provide.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
lucerne
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-26          102986

Where in Maine? I'm in Maine and can stear you to the best dealer and service around. I have a machine forsale too. ....

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-26          102987

I guess I'd start with a new L-39 and then go from there. ....

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
littlediesel

2004-12-26          102989

How big is that L39 as compared to the L35? ....

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-12-26          102990

The L35 is a kick ass little comercial machine, alot of lanscapers have them. ....

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
littlediesel

2004-12-26          102994

The kubota web site is an excellent source to review the specs of the various models. However, in short, the B series machines all have smaller frames and less horsepower than the L series. ....

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
Manicmech

2004-12-26          102995

Great, Thanx for the info, I have been to the Kubota site, but can't get alot of information from it, also I figured I would ask the people who really know these machines and have used them. Let's face it, you have all been where I am now, in one way or another. I understood the B models are more for home-owner use and the L for comercial. Can a B model accomadate a backhoe, and do you know if an L model can accomodate a belly mower. ....

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-12-26          102996

Union Farm Tractor in Union Maine is the best dealer,service,people you could ever deal with. Ask for Craig. It's east of Augusta, might be a little far for you but might be worth it. Your going to need a pretty good hoe for stumps,weather it be a Woods 90 on a Kubota L series or an L35 L48 that comes with their own hoe. Don't get a 3 point hitch hoe, get one with a sub frame for that kind of use. I'm sure you'll be moving rocks too. ....

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
Manicmech

2004-12-26          102997

Lucerne, I wasn't able to read your full message, but got the jist of it, the L models come with the hoe, but do you think they are too big for finish mowing and yard care ?? Also, how much do you think a good-condition used one may run ?? ....

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-12-26          102998

What they now call the tlb series are the b21 L35 and L 48 Then there are the L series L2800 L3400 and L4300 one of my favorites for the money and then the grand L's in all sizes,with all the bells as wistles and transmission choices. I know the grand L's will take a belly mower but I'm not sure about the rest. All will take a hoe of different sizes from 6.5 to 9 foot and maybe an 11 foot digging depth. The L48 and L35 have their own. On the Kubota site, click on tractors , pick a model and click specks, wait for the pdf to open, lots of specs there. ....

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-12-26          103000

Can a B model accomadate a backhoe .
Manicmech
=======
YES.
So can the BX 23.
I love mine.

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
Manicmech

2004-12-26          103006

Thanx for the reply, I am assuming the BX23 is a 23HP machine.. and small enough to mow with in tight spots. How os it for power, does it have enough to push snow and dirt? ....

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
grinder

2004-12-27          103011

If your close to Belgrade Lakes, I have a 7500 that I mow and blow with. You can come try it out. ....

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
jjfinn

2004-12-28          103063

I have a BX23 that works well for the 4 acres I have. The small size allows it to fit in some tight places, yet the backhoe and FEL have sufficient power to do everything that I have needed thus far. It may take a little longer than a L series machine, yet the BX23 still gets the work done. Overall, howerver, you should talk to a good dealer and discuss your intended uses.

Good luck. ....

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-12-28          103068

Thanx for the reply, I am assuming the BX23 is a 23HP machine. And small enough to mow with in tight spots. How is it for power, does it have enough to push snow and dirt?
Manicmech
Here is what I did with my BX 23 within the first 50 Hours
FEL
Moved 3 small piles of dirt.
Moved another pile of dirt 6 feet wide, 44 feet long 3 to 4 feet high.
Dug out an 8'x6'' drain pipe replaced it and added another 13 foot to it.
Installed another 23 feet of 6'' pipe in the other end of the ditch.
Spread 3 eight ton truck loads of slag.
Filled in a large dip at the end of my driveway.
Dug up and removed about 15 feet of an old cement side walk.
Pushed over 8 or 10 trees that were from 2 inches to 8 inches in diameter.
Moved the trees out of the way.
Back filled the holes where the trees were.

60'' belly mower
Mowed most of my 2.33 acres several times.

Back Hoe.
Dug out the trees before pushing them over with the FEL
X X X X X X

I have a BX23 that works well for the 4 acres I have.
1*The small size allows it to fit in some tight places, yet the backhoe and FEL have sufficient power to do everything that I have needed thus far.
2*It may take a little longer than a L series machine, yet the BX23 still gets the work done.
jjfinn
==============
1*If you get a larger tractor you will have to hire out jobs you can't get it to or where there isn't room to operate the larger tractor.
The problem here is it's pretty hard to find contractors with the smaller equipment.
They all have the big stuff like yours that already won't work.
On the other hand if you have the smaller tractor you may need to bring in a larger tractor for certain projects. In this case finding the larger tractor to hire is no big deal because that's what all the excavation contractors have.
Here is just one example of where you can't use a bigger tractor but where the BX23 really shines.
I have 3200 square feet of dirt floor in 2 buildings to fill in smooth out and bring up to grade in preparation to pour the cement floors. You can't get a bigger tractor in there due to the door way and ceiling hight. Even if you could get it in them the tractor loader and hoe would be to long to maneuver around in there.

Wouldn't it feel great having to do all this by hand with a wheel borrow mattock & shovel while your parked big ole tractor loader and hoe just sets there taunting you???

2*Yep those bigger tractors are a real killer when it comes to accumulating seat time. ....

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-12-29          103114

Bx23 reviews.

1* Review by detredwingsfan from White Lake, Michigan
Posted 09/09/2004
So far this Kubota BX23 is a great tractor combo. I've dug up bushes and small trees with the backhoe and loaded them into the bucket. I've even pulled up concrete sidewalk pads (3' x 3+') with the backhoe and then loaded them into the bucket. The diff lock and 4wd works great and helped me out of a couple spots where I would have been stuck w/2wd. The tractor starts readily and runs great. I've got 20 hours on it and no problems yet. I compared the BX23 to John Deere, Simplicity, Kioti and other tractors. In terms of value, capability and performance, this Kubota BX23 easily beat the competition.

Date Purchased: 6/2004
Purchased: New
Price Paid: US$15000
Pros: Great Tractor Combo
Cons: None
Rating: *****

2* Kubota Reviews / 2004 Kubota BX23 Tractor
Review by at_obuk from Susquehanna, co.,
Posted 08/16/2004
BX23 with 60" mowing deck. Ordered a snow blower and a plow with the whole package. The plow and snow blower have not yet arrived.
28 hours at about 4 weeks
This tractor turns on a dime with power steering that feels smooth and climbs my 20 to 25 degree slopes very well. The mowing deck has cut all that I have put before it that includes the foot high grass in the back 10.
I got the BX23 because it is a small tractor and for me I don't need anything much larger. The size is a positive advantage in getting around all the trees and narrow paths. Plus along with the folding roll bar it fits into my garage.
So far everything has proformed to my tasks.
But I feel that the brake should hold better. You can still go with the brake on and it's easy to forget that it is on! I have done this on a number of occasions.
Still after 28 hours I give it a very high rating.

Date Purchased: 7/2004
Purchased: New
Price Paid: US$20000
Pros: size
Cons: brake
Rating:*****

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
jjfinn

2004-12-29          103141

lbrown59: For what it is worth, I was suggesting that the BX23 is a very effective and useful machine. Your reply seems to imply that I was promoting the bigger tractors--and that is not true. However, the bigger L series can do some of the BH and FEL work faster than the BX23. But faster may not be the best option. choice of tractor really depends on the intended uses and the size of the property involved. I was suggesting to Manicmech that his uses should be discussed with a good dealer as well as obtaining input from this discussion forum. While I really love my BX23, Manicmech will need to sort out what works for him.
jjfinn ....

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
offtrack

2005-01-09          103870

I have a BX22, the same model as the BX23 just a few less features. I have 2.8 acres in Northern CT and have used it for all sorts of things, trenching, small stumping, grading, tilling, plowing, road paving, round bail hauling, mowing and post holing and others. One point that I would seriously consider is paying to have someone excavate the big stumps all at once or rent an excavator temporarily, and buy the BX23, it's what I did. The Bx23 is a perfect tractor for your size land and after the stumps are gone you won't need the much larger tractor. I honestly believe that unless you have jeep sized boulders to move, the Bx23 is all you need and an L series tractor is a lot of tractor. I can understand the allure of wanting to go bigger. Either way you go you'll love going with Kubota. ....

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-01-10          103938

~~~
Good advice I agree.
Let the big boys with the big toys tear up their tractors on the ruff hard jobs; while you keep yours in good shape to enjoy.

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-01-10          103942

For 2/12 acres I would ask you to test drive the B7510, I have owned bigger but I have not owned a more versital tractor to do what you are asking!!

Feel free to see my pics and yes I use my Backhoe!! ....

Newby to Kubotas

View my Photos
beagle

2005-01-10          103947

I agree, the sub-compacts are great machines. I had one and traded for a B7800. It is still small enough to be versatile, but the extra capacity of the B-Series has really come in handy landscaping the property. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login