Go Bottom Go Bottom

What is a good block heater

View my Photos
cthonestguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-22          102748

Any suggestions on a good inexpensive block heater and where it can be bought? I have a few machines so it would be nice to get a magnetic one if they made one like that. I'd use it on my bx2200 and an old international I have. Also, is the pan on the bx's steel or alloy and will a magnetic one work? I fired this up the other morning and it was 3 outside - pretty cold. It statred buy made a sick feeling with the effort it took from being so cold.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-22          102756

Tractor Supply has two different size magnetic block heaters, they sell for about $25 and $35 respectively. Not sure you will find anbything it will stick to though. If you do, let me know. I haven't checked my 7800, but I would suspect there isn't much it would stick to. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2004-12-22          102758

Tractor Supply .com? I looked and put block heater in the search and it didn't come up? It is a steel pan on the bx. I just put a magnet on it and it stuck. ....

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-23          102772

How do they compare with the Kubota coolant heater?
Does heating the oil pan warm the rest of the engine?
I like the idea of the coolant circulating through out. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2004-12-23          102779

Personally, I'd rather start a diesel that had thinned oil - before one that simply had warmed water. On that count, I recommend the Wolverine heating pad - but it's not transferable. The trade-off is that it uses much less electricity than the magnetic type. Had one on my Yanmar. With oil already warmed and thinned, I didn't even have to use the ThermoStart on a 7 degree morning last winter.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-23          102781

Heating the oil to help it flow better is good as everyone knows that the engine wears the most at start up. The best place for heat to start an engine is at the head. That is were you need heat to make an explosion while cranking and compressing the fuel air mix. If you can't make enough heat then you have no explosion and all the warm oil you want can't start the engine. The BX uses a heater that goes into the head area heating the area most critical to a good start. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-12-23          102785

Art, would a magenetic heater stick to the oil pan of my 7800? I suspect the pan is aluminum, but have never checked. Anyone else know? I would consider a magnetic heater if there is something it will stick to. ....

View my Photos
JerryG

2004-12-23          102798

The best engine heater that I have ever used is a tank type heater. The only problem with a tank heater is that they take up more room than other heaters, but they work better. They heat the water and circulate it through the motor. You can touch anywhere on a engine when it is 0 degrees out and it will be warm. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-23          102842

After a good many Alaskan winters, I would agree that the tank type heaters are the best thing made to warm an engine. Next best are the freeze plug heaters followed by the magnetic/contact heaters.

A magnetic heater coupled with a battery blanket would serve very nicely in the horse latitudes. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-12-24          102871

Main reason I've allways liked thak types is that a couple minutes after you plug it in just feel the heater and you know for sure it's working. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-12-24          102878

I would suggest sticking with the OEM block heater. If the temps are that cold you should be running a good synthetic diesel oil which will flow very well even at extreme cold temps. The magnetic pan heaters do help but unless some insulation is placed around them or the machine is in a shelter out of the wind; a lot of the heat generated is lost. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-25          102906

I would stick with the block heater from Kubota. The oil cold or not will be flowing with the first revolution of the engine. Yes it will slow the engine cranking some but that gives more time for lubrication to the engine. I do believe they are using aluminum pans on most tractors but a quick test with a magnet will tell you for sure. I also like the tank heaters and they have proven to work the best but there is not a lot of room under the hoods of these tractors to fit one in. ....

View my Photos
loghouse95

2004-12-25          102919

I also like the tank heaters and you can mount them almost anywhere you want. I had the good fortune of testing mine out for the first time this morning at 2 degrees, brrrrrrr. after 1 hour I turned the ignition switch on and the temperature was warm enough to register, the engine block was warm to the touch
and I did not have to use the preheat at all ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login