Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX2230 REAR BLADE WIDTH

View my Photos
stuarth
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-12          102151

I am wanting to buy a rear blade for my BX2230 to do the snow this year and am wondering what width to buy. Kubota only offers a 48" and my tires width is 45". Anyone have any experience with these? I am looking at 48" or a 60" or should I keep looking for a 54"? That's if anyone even offers a 54"!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BX2230 REAR BLADE WIDTH

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-12          102152

Never personally seen a 54", but that's not to say they don't exist. Consider that the swath decreases as you change the index angle of the blade. I'd definitely go bigger than 48", and I think don't plan to use it for other than snow - 60" should work just fine.

//greg// ....

BX2230 REAR BLADE WIDTH

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-12          102153

I've got a 48" box-blade and have done some pretty heavy ripping with that. Tried it on the snow this weekend, and it worked good on that too (off pavement). ....

BX2230 REAR BLADE WIDTH

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-12-13          102159

Absolutely go with the 60". Anything narrower will not work well past the first angle setting. I've had no problems using a 60" blade with by BX1500. I do suggest however getting one specifically made for sub-CUTs. I bought a full-sized blade (about 4" taller moldboard) and it works fine, but it takes some wrangling to make the 3-point hookup work. Also, if your drive is gravel get the optional skid shoes. They will keep the blade from digging in. ....

BX2230 REAR BLADE WIDTH

View my Photos
bvance

2004-12-13          102202

I have a 48 inch Woods box scraper for my BX2230 and love it. I have used it with the ripper teeth in some pretty tough conditions (dry, packed, Northwest glacial till) and the BX handled it very well. Woods makes a scraper especially for the BX series (as most mfg do) and the biggest they make for the BX is 48 inch. It weighs 285 pounds. If you go to their regular 48 inch it weighs 428 pounds and the 60 weighs 495. I'm thinking that may be too much weight for the BX plus the arms may not lift it high enough for some uses. If you want a wider swath, you might consider a blade as opposed to a box as it would be lighter, you could easily handle a 60 inch and you could angle it to slide snow away from you which of course the box would not do. Just some things to think about.... ....

BX2230 REAR BLADE WIDTH

View my Photos
bvance

2004-12-13          102203

Just a quick addition. A Woods 60 inch scraper weighs 232 pounds and a 72 inch weighs 272.....the BX would handle both very easily, except you would want to make sure you get enough lift clearance. The advantages of a scraper over a box is angle and tilt capabilities, which could come in handy. The 72 inch even offsets. ....

BX2230 REAR BLADE WIDTH

View my Photos
44trxfun

2004-12-13          102204

stuarth, I have a 60" rear blade on mine (MF GC2300, but same diff...) and it works great for snow. Mine is a Leinbach Line. I had a local welding shop mount a rod to carry some weights to give it a little better bite. Today was the first time I tried it that way--real good in wetter snow. I also use my blade turned around so it's not digging in (pushing in reverse with concave side toward tractor) for the first few snows to lay a base. When that sets up, I mostly switch to the blower. Good luck & have fun! ....

BX2230 REAR BLADE WIDTH

View my Photos
stuarth

2004-12-14          102207

Thsnks for all the great information, I think I am going to get a 60" one. ....

BX2230 REAR BLADE WIDTH

View my Photos
Murf

2004-12-14          102218

A cautionary note to those who use back blades for clearing snow on a CUT or sub-CUT.

A rear blade does NOT have the spring loaded trip mechanism that a snowplow does. In fact there is no 'protection' for the tractor or blade of any kind.

If you hit something that in the summer would be of no concern at all, but is now really well frozen in place, you stand a very good chance of doing damage to something.

It is relatively easy to bend the moldboard on a light blade, the 3pth arms and linkages are also easily bent or broken. The 3pth is designed for pulling loads, not pushings them, and a shock load will easily exceed the design parameters.

I have also seen several people suffer a pretty stiff neck and or back after hitting something in reverse, the combination of cold and twisting around makes for a bad situation for taking a hit, even a fairly tame hit.

Avoid the temptation to use speed to make up for brute force. If the tractor doesn't want to push a full blade of snow, either raise it up push the top off first, or take less than a full blade's width per pass. It will take a little longer, but not as long as breaking something.

Be aware and be safe.

Best of luck. ....

BX2230 REAR BLADE WIDTH

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-14          102221

Good advice, as usual Murf.

I knew of a city worker who was clearing snow with a road grader when the blade hit a frost-heaved storm drain manhole. Damn near broke his neck.

Spring loaded blades are the only way to go.

BX2230 REAR BLADE WIDTH

View my Photos
jarndt

2004-12-14          102223

Sound advice, certainly. However, I can attest that a BX does not have enough mass to effectively damage even a lightweight rear blade. It will lose traction first, guaranteed. The lift arms are so short and stubby I'd be more worried about damaging the 3PH subframe. Of course this says nothing of whiplash! ....

BX2230 REAR BLADE WIDTH

View my Photos
stuarth

2004-12-14          102244

Now I am looking at the 54" manual Kubota fron blade (TG2754). Does anyone know what this setup would cost? I only have the 60mmm and grass catcher at this time. I want to add a FEL but the funds won't allow it now. I was reading on a BB that the TG2754 was $350. Is that all I need to spend or is there more parts the Kubota site does not tell me about? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login