Go Bottom Go Bottom

L402 FEL Float Problem

View my Photos
survriggs
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-07          100021

Leveling driveway with B7800 and L402 FEL and using the "float" position on the FEL to backdrag. All of a sudden the joystick will not stay locked up in the "float" position, it just jumps back down. It will still work as float but I have to hold it up there...anyone had this problem before? It's only 3 wks. old so warranty will cover repair but I'm just curious before they come and pick it up tomorrow.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

L402 FEL Float Problem

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-07          100027

There is a detent that is not holding. I'd leave it for a bit and see what happens if you can run it ok otherwise call the dealer. ....

L402 FEL Float Problem

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-08          100041

The LA402 has had a lot of problems with the float detent springs. I know of two others with the same problem, and have been told it's very common. You can change out the detent spring yourself if you feel up to it, or do as Art suggested and contact the dealer. You have a lot of company on this problem. I haven't had any trouble with mine, yet. ....

L402 FEL Float Problem

View my Photos
PaulPrince

2004-11-08          100051

My BX23 (100 hours) has just started having this problem.I have to hold the lever forward to keep it in 'float'. Anyone have a schematic drawing of the mechanism, springs, etc? Beagle, are you suggesting a slightly stiffer spring? ....

L402 FEL Float Problem

View my Photos
beagle

2004-11-08          100054

Not suggesting a stiffer spring, yet. So far, the other two were replaced in kind and have been working OK. I haven't heard anyone recommend a different spring, could be quality issue on the original.

I do know the detent housing is a great place for moisture to accumualte. Not sure if this has had any effect on spring deterioration or not. During the winter, my foat is frozen for the first 5 minutes of operation until enough warm oil thaws it out. I have avoided using it during warm up in the winter. Forcing a frozen detent could have been part of the issue with the other two tractors, we just don't know.

Art may be able to tell you what he has seen. I know this has been common. ....

L402 FEL Float Problem

View my Photos
BenEAmonette

2004-11-08          100056

survriggs, if you don't mind, I would like to get your impressions of your 7800, what you have done with it and so forth. I realize this has nothing to do with your problem, but I am strongly considering this model. I am trying to decide between it and the 7610. Thoughts on either model from readers are welcome. Thanks. ....

L402 FEL Float Problem

View my Photos
beagle

2004-11-08          100060

Ben, I have the 7800 and think it's a great machine. The only shortfall is the lack of position control on the 3pt. After some time with it, I have gotten used to the 1/4" valve, but would certainly prefer position control. The 7610 has the same 1/4" valve as the 7800, so no difference there. I turned 82 hrs this weekend,, and haven't come across much it couldn't do. Drilled holes for 1100 feet of fence, moved 250 yards of fill, keep a 800 foot drive and 1/4 mile road graded and cleared of snow, mow,...about everything.

I was at the dealer closing the deal on a 2410 when the wife started asking about the 7800. She's the one that decided for price difference, it would be better to get the 7800. God I love that women. The four cylinder engine and 3-range hydro make it really comfortable with many implements.

I have added several 2910 parts to my 7800 as you can see from my pics. They are pretty interchageable, with a little tweeking required.

Great machine, no regrets. ....

L402 FEL Float Problem

View my Photos
Art White

2004-11-09          100092

Beagle, I think I have it the worst here being in the cold as that is when we get a lot of calls for valves freezing up. Kubota is not the only one so maybe I take it a little light as with the different makes we sell new and the others we work on I can tell you nobody has a clean record for this. Some are worse then others. The Kubota valve has some of the nicest features of all valves we work with and they help for them to perform jobs that other valves that are on equipment can't. Unfortunately just like people,the more you do the better chance of an agonizing moment of failure, the more bells and whistles the more chance for trouble regardless of the quality of the product. I hesitate to recommend for him to call the dealer immediately for more then to let him know of the situation as I know we offer free trucking during warrantee but It would be nice to solve several things at once if we can. ....

L402 FEL Float Problem

View my Photos
beagle

2004-11-09          100101

Absolutely Art. The fact the moisture freezes in the detent housing isn't an issue for me, just a fact of winter useage. The tractor starts and performs great in the winter, so waiting for warm up is part of normal operating. Whether the valve freezes or not, I like to let the machine get to operating temperature before I use it anyhow. ....

L402 FEL Float Problem

View my Photos
survriggs

2004-11-09          100102

Ben, I was looking at the B7610 and it was my wife that asked me "is this going to be big enough?" After talking to the dealer I traded for the 7800 and glad I did. I have brushhogged about 5 acres of field so far and the only complaint is the rough ride. The back tires are liquid filled. Smoothed out new area for lawn with box blade & the 1/4 inching valve a little hard to get used to. Leveled a pile of 1" road rock for a parking area and under my leanto. This is the first FEL for me so naturally it's great. The shop said it was a stuck detent spring. ....

L402 FEL Float Problem

View my Photos
BenEAmonette

2004-11-09          100104

survriggs and beagle, thanks for your comments. This is my first tractor and I am just gathering as much info as I can. I am having a hard time justifying it, however. One day I am ready to pull the trigger, and the next I am questioning my motives. Can I justify this expense, or is this just an expensive toy? The answer is probably a bit of both. However, my wife says "just go buy a tractor. I want a clean driveway and a garden." I don't need much of a tractor for that, however, we do have some property out in the country, and I could use it there some. I tend to want to purchase something a little bigger than what I think I need. Additional uses will no doubt come to mind. The local dealer says that he looks for the prices to remain stable until the end of the year, but to go up some at that time. The financing is still a good deal, but not as attractive as a few months ago. At any rate, thanks again and have a nice day. ....

L402 FEL Float Problem

View my Photos
survriggs

2004-11-09          100108

One of the ways that I justified mine is that I can take a 100% first year write-off for farm use which means that it will reduce my income taxes by about one-third of the purchase price of the tractor. ....

L402 FEL Float Problem

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-11-29          101229

I just wanted to bump this string up to the top again.

I put away the grass equipment this past weekend and found that my FEL float detent won't hold. The tractor and FEL are kept in a warm garage (never below 40°) so there can be no freeze-up.

Art- is this a common problem? Is it a user serviceable item? I was going to do the 50hr service myself, but maybe it should go in for that, a couple minor leaks and the detent spring. Any thoughts??

Get 'er done.™
Larry ....

L402 FEL Float Problem

View my Photos
beagle

2004-11-29          101234

Can't speek for Art or the BX's, but it sure has been a common problem on the LA 402. I know of at least three. I'm waiting for my turn. ....

L402 FEL Float Problem

View my Photos
Art White

2004-11-29          101237

There are potentially two problems that we have seen with all valves with float. One is they pop out to easily or youcan't get them in to the float position. For going in tough or not being able to get them in then chances are it is rust or moisture and they need to be cleaned and a small amount of grease added on surfaces. For disengaging to easily the first step is to still grease as well as increasing the spring tension to hold the balls into the detent. There is a kit for when things don't go right or look to rough but that is normally from rust which we normally have here from condensation. Is it a problem for all, no. We have had to do some of all valves that are the same type but the numbers seem far less then we sell of that valve configuration. I'd doubt that we have more then 10 percent failure on these valves and the bulk of our problems go to the freeze up problems according to the shop. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login