Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mid PTO and MMM

View my Photos
jonathanengr
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-15          83204

I was posting in the RFM section about buying a finishing mower because the price of the mid PTO and MMM was so high. However, someone told me to double-check the quotes I received from the dealer.

My dealer told me the mid-PTO on the L3430 was $2000, and the MMM was in addition to this figure. Is this correct? It seems astronomical! Does anyone have any idea what it would cost to get the mid PTO and a MMM? Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Mid PTO and MMM

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-15          83208

As a bench mark comparison, for instance, John Deere charges $390 list price for the mid pto option on its 4410 which is a comparable tractor to the L3430. Most times you can get it for around $350 when combined with a new tractor package. I just cannot see how you get to $2000 for the same thing on a comparable Kubota. Are you sure they weren't quoting you the price for MMM and mid pto?

Art, we could use your expertise here! ;o) ....

Mid PTO and MMM

View my Photos
Chief

2004-04-15          83209

Have you called around to other Kubota dealers and compared pricing on the same maching with pto and what they charge for the mid pto option? ....

Mid PTO and MMM

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-04-15          83221

OUCH!!! Just got off the phone with a dealer and they quoted me $350 for the mid PTO and **$2700** for the belly mower. Why so much??? When you can buy a 72" RFM for $1100 it makes that a hard thing to justify--it's one-third of the cost! ....

Mid PTO and MMM

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-15          83224

And THAT is why I'll buy a separate riding mower if/when I have the need to mow. ....

Mid PTO and MMM

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-04-15          83225

Well, I'm not sure about that, but I think I'm definitely going to go with the RFM. I don't think they make any "lawn mower" with an enclosed cab! ....

Mid PTO and MMM

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-15          83226

Ah yes, the yellow jacket problem. Out here we bait for them early in the season which works pretty well. ....

Mid PTO and MMM

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-04-15          83227

How do you bait them? That might be very useful. As for the cab-it's actually more than just the yellow jacket problem. Sunburn, allergies, dust, flying debris, etc., etc., etc. And with an open yard I just can't imagine anything being a faster mower than a tractor with a 72" or 84" finishing mower. ....

Mid PTO and MMM

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-15          83229

Here's a link that has lots of text. Scroll about a third of the way down until it mentions baiting. I use the bait guard traps with Cyfluthrin. I tried the loganberry and salmon paste they sell and they didn't work all that well for us, but bacon grease does. Found that out by accident - we cook our bacon on the BBQ and I forgot the pan outside one day. It drew yellow jackets like a magnet. ....

Link:   Yellow Jacket Control

Mid PTO and MMM

View my Photos
Chief

2004-04-15          83242

Again, make sure you compare apples to apples. What guage steel is the RFM, blade material, anti-scalp wheels & rollers, blade tip speed, gearbox, safety shielding & other safety protections, etc. I think once you compare the MMM features with an RFM mower with that same or very similar features; you will again go into sticker shock. You would have a coronary if you priced a John Deere 7 Iron 72" MMM, but they are built to last and the heaviest built in the industry using a one piece 7 guage stamping for the mower. Your preferences and cost considerations will be the final judge. Both types make a nice cut but have their pro's and cons. ....

Mid PTO and MMM

View my Photos
grinder

2004-04-16          83267

Have you looked for a used MMM? I too reeled a little at the price of a new one,appx. 2300 for a 60". I found a used
one, used twice for 1400.00. Took Art's advice and chose the MMM. Have not used it yet as spring hasn't sprung!

Mid PTO and MMM

View my Photos
jonathanengr

2004-04-16          83273

Speaking of tip speed, what speed should I be looking for? Is there a "rule of thumb" minimum where anything below gives a less-than-adequate cut? This is very new to me... this criteria has never been mentioned--even by tractor sales folk.

Same for the other criteria--do I *really* need a heavy-duty deck? Here's the specs as shown on the Tractor Supply website:
---
One-piece 3/16" thick deck. 4 gauge wheel construction for less scalping. 40 H.P. gear box. Category one hitch. 3 offset 1/4" thick heat treated blades. Easy mower height adjustment.
---
It also has an anti-scalp roller on the front and includes the PTO shaft. ....

Mid PTO and MMM

View my Photos
Murf

2004-04-16          83288

Actually Jonathan I hat to throw a spanner in the works, but a lot of FMM's (front-deck mowers) ARE available with a cab.

There are also several aftermarket cab manufacturers that produce cabs for models that the manufacturer themselves doesn't make a cab for.

Also, if you select a FMM with a 4 post ROPS / canopy combination it is very easy to just add plexiglass between the posts and a simple hinged door to the front.

As for speed, because FMM's run low pressure turfs which add a sort of suspension and are designed for one purpose only, cutting grass, you would be VERY hard-pressed to cut any faster with a CUT than you could with a FMM based on equal size decks.

Best of luck.

Mid PTO and MMM

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-16          83355

speaking of fmm nh has one that you can get a cab for and has 4wd options snow blower broom and blade. up to 35 hp but pretty expensive. base price 16,500 all the way up to 35,000 now that is an OUCH ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login