Go Bottom Go Bottom

model sugestion

View my Photos
yardwork
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-14          83108

I am looking for equipment to help remodel a landscape. The property is only 3 acres but it is on a ridge and the work includes a new driveway, building construction, and some extensive yard reshaping as well a transplanting of some mature plants. I have been looking at a nice Kubota B7100 with FEL, box blade and rear mower implements. I am concerned with the horse power of this unit to accomplish the heavy work. If the unit I do purchase can manage a decent belly mower I plan on keeping it after all the hard stuff.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

model sugestion

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-14          83115

I have about the very same requirements and i have just ordered the JD 790. Did you have your heart set on Orange??

model sugestion

View my Photos
timgren
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-14          83118

Yardwork - I picked up the 2003 B7500HST (w/140 hrs) to do exactly what you described. The HP is almost adequate for the work I've been doing. i.e Box blading, moving tree stumps and logs, grading, moving driveway/flatwork stone, etc. For the most part, I'm very happy with the purchase. On occasion I wish it had more HP, but overall, It's a well sized machine for what it's meant to do. The (loaded) R4 tires help a lot!

I was looking at the JD 4410 vs B7510HSD... went with the B7500 only because I purchased it an auction from a dealer that was going out of business. A "floor model" so to speak.

The only thing I don't like about Orange vs Green is the FEL joystick placement. It's up by the steering wheel, and while some may say that's a good thing, your back and shoulders will say different! At least for me. If I'm working with the loader for more then a hour or so, my back and shoulders get REALLY tight, and sore from the posture the joystick demands of you. In contrast, Green puts the joystick down by the seat, and now I understand why! It's much more ergonomic when spending long hours in the seat.

model sugestion

View my Photos
yardwork

2004-04-14          83130

bmlekki- I am fairly familiar with compact orange. I know some people swear by a brand and I claim an open mind... but experience is what it is. I prefer yellow equipment; a Case 580 would do the job very nicely! Thanks for the thought - so how is the JD 790 Horse Power working out for you? ....

model sugestion

View my Photos
yardwork

2004-04-14          83131

timgren- Thanks for the HP testimony, I have heard it said that you can always use a bigger tractor. You are right on track with the application though, stumps and stone. I have been told to look at a 31 hp L series, but we're talking a considerable cost to outfit it with FEL, box blade and eventually a belly mower. I am obviously going to have to leave town to get a decent price. ....

model sugestion

View my Photos
beagle

2004-04-14          83138

Very close to my needs, I had a 25hp tratcor before the present one and found it difficult to do good box blade work with it. I now have the B7800 and really like the 30hp with the three range hydrostat. You need to have some pile up in the box blade to get good grading results. The 30hp seems to do a very nice job. If you plan to keep the tractor after the heavy work, you may find the L-series a little large and heavy for the lawn. I dont' have an L, so maybe someone else could comment further about mowing results with them. The 7800 does a good job mowing, I use a RFM. ....

model sugestion

View my Photos
beagle

2004-04-14          83139

By the way, the sore shoulder and neck is a reality with the joystick by the stearing wheel. Don't know if Deere's location completely solves this, but you get a stiff neck from the arm position on the upper joystick. You will find both manufacturers have their strong points, I am very happy with my Kubota. ....

model sugestion

View my Photos
yardwork

2004-04-17          83460

Timgren- thanks for the thoughts, I had to sign on to this site "premium" in order to read all of your message, which is why it took so long - waiting for the upgrade to be activated. I am going to go out and drive a few tractors. I will drive a few orange, green, blue and what ever else I can find. I was out on my bike today and saw a Yanmar dealer. I will be back on the site when I develope a broader experience...I sure have enjoyed reading all the info sharing.

model sugestion

View my Photos
yardwork

2004-04-17          83462

beagle- I agree with the weight issue, especially with what I will need doing the major part of the relandscaping (stump and new driveway) work around the house. In thinking this thing through I beleive I will rent the heavy equipment work out and focus on purchasing the equipment I can use for general purpose landscaping and property maintenance. I am leaning now toward a 2710 or 2910 type of equipment. I am going on a drive, can I drive that tractor please...hopefully I will find out what the pros and cons are including the price of a few brands. ....

model sugestion

View my Photos
muletrain

2004-04-17          83464

I am new to this site, but I have seen the recommendation several times to make a list of your needs, and start with the implements first. Then choose the tractor second which will handle the accessories. Expect that one tractor may not do it all. Instead of renting the big stuff,I found a lawn company for the grass and bought an L5030 for the ranch chores, which I enjoy much more than the lawn. ....

model sugestion

View my Photos
yardwork

2004-04-19          83608

mueltrain- Thanks, I have seen that said on this web site and it is great advise. I will keep in mind the tools I need for the jobs I have when becoming familuar with the "power" (tractors) available. ....

model sugestion

View my Photos
timgren

2004-04-20          83729

Yardwork - One thing to be careful on about Yanmar's, especially the early models, (of any make for that matter). Many don't come with a rollbar (aka. ROPS).

THESE ARE ABSOLUTELY NESSESSARY! and should not be considered as optional features.

I rolled my 7500 over into a creek last march (due to a soft edge, and yes the water was extremely cold! ) but as I looked up, and saw my tractor heaving towards me, I become 100% convinced that the ROPS system saved my life. I would have been crushed, or pinned underwater by the tractor if it wasn't for the ROPS.

model sugestion

View my Photos
yardwork

2004-04-20          83733

timgren - Thanks, I had noticed when I rode by last week the absence of the ROPS and was wondering if it was an option. ....

model sugestion

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-04-20          83735

I'm with timgren, after tipping mine over I would never even consider a machine without a ROPS. ....

model sugestion

View my Photos
beagle

2004-04-20          83761

Pulled a 8N off the neighbor a couple years ago after a torque over. The ROPS would have saved him a callapsed lung and a long hospital stay. He was lucky. Tractors can easily go over backwards as well as roll-over. Torque overs happen just as fast.

Don't get a tractor without a seat belt and ROPS. ....

model sugestion

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-04-25          84298

yardwork-i have 790. I have mastered that machine. Have done things with it some told me was impossible with it. What is all boils down to is time & how much of it you want to spend. I can do things with my backhoe that most guys can do on a bigger hoe. pactice makes perfect. ....

model sugestion

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-04-25          84300

correction...Most guys can NOT do on a bigger backhoe. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login