Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
pirata1907
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-09-15          165658

New to the board. Should I get the Kubota L3940 in GST or HST. Both are priced within $150 of each other.

Thanks in advance

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-09-15          165660

Welcome to the board. I've never driven a Kubota gear or hydro so I'm probably the leas qualified to answer.
I'm on my third Deere compact,(4310), all have been gear. I'm saurprised there is that little difference in price between gear and hydro, Deere was always around a thousand less for power shuttle gear than hydro.
It is a matter of personal peference and which you are the most comfortable operating.
I grew up with gear drive farm tractors so hydros are not my favorite, but others here will shout me down.
I doubt the lifespan or the dependability are a nickles worth of difference. Frank. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-09-15          165663

Depends on what sort of implements you need to use. The GST will give a wee bit more power for ground engagement and at the pto but the hst will allow infinite speed control, automatic braking and is easier to drive (a consideration if you have family members who will use the machine).

Personally, I'd go for the hydro unless there was a specific reason not to.

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-09-15          165668

I have a B2710 with the HST trans and for that tractor and what it has been used for 98% of the time the HST is just what the Doc ordered. The only use I find the gear on that tractor would have been an advantage is when pulling a sprayer and needing to maintain the same speed. Hard to due with the HST trans unless it is full pedal down at a certain RPM. The only other area where the gear transmission to me has an advantage is it is very very difficult to use the brakes for turning so if you were wanting to use for say plowing and were planning on sharp turns using the brakes not the best set up.

But the GST is not the standard standard transmission as it is 12 speed clutchless shifting model. Having never used one can not compare it to the HST. But my guess is it will not have the whine that seems to be with HST and probably not as much heat.

To me knowing what you will be using the tractor for would help. If FEL work or mowing grass in lawns I would go for HST. If more rough cutting of large fields or field work or steday pullling probably the GST. Hard to beat the HST for quick and easy speed changes and direction change. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-09-15          165671

KT;
So is a GST a close relative of my 12/12 power reverser in the Deere?
I don't know which models of Deere offer three transmission chioces, I think my 4310 did.
1- Ordinary dry plare clutch and sliding gear type.
2- 12/12 - Power reverser, wet clutch, clutch not needed for reversing in any gear.
3- Hydro ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
pirata1907

2009-09-16          165681

I appreciate the responses. I plan on doing a good bit of FEL work, regrading driveway, mowing, eventually some plowing but not extremely heavy plowing. The price diff is not $150 but $1,050....which still seems to be a pretty good deal. The lowest price from one dealer (i'm have 3 dealers duke it out) is $25300. Does this seem to be a fair price in the North Carolina market??? ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-09-16          165682

Is that price for the tractor only, or with a FEL, as an example?
Does that incluce sales tax?
What is your sales tax rate there? ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
pirata1907

2009-09-16          165683

Sorry, L3940 HST...that includes LA724 FEL, but no tax. NC tax is 7.75%. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
Art White

2009-09-16          165685

From people who have had them and use them a few hundred hours a year there is some fuel savings with the glideshift and they do work well but most will go with the hydro. After they have had a hydro, they so far haven't gone back! ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-09-16          165686

I don't know if the price is right or not, but as always the dealer can make or break your tractor experience.
If you don't already know them ask around about their service department, parts availabilty, etc.
Compared to a new car costing the same as the tractor, the tractor is a bargan. The new car will be worth zero at ten years and I don't know the value of a Kubota at ten years, but it will have an easy ten years of life left then. Frank. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-09-16          165687

If the hst uses a treadle pedal instead of twin forward/reverse pedals I would go with the gst. I really dislike treadles that consume the entire right side of the floorboard. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-09-16          165689

I can hear EW already, he'll be on me like ugly on and ape for saying this, well maybe he alreay looks a little apeish from smashing his nose on the windshield too many times.
I've challenged him several times with a loader duel between his Ford with the marshmallow tranny to my 12/12 reverser, he never shows up.
Seriously I still just like the feel and control that a clutch pedal gives me doing loader work. Mowing is maybe a different story, the hydro can give you a tweak of different speeds between fixed gear speeds.
I've heard all the hydro compared to gear trade in value hash but in the real world the two prior Deere 12/12's I traded were sold before my new onees got here. Nuff from me. Frank. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2009-09-16          165693

I have a HST - my first one, I would NEVER consider buying anything else, if I needed more power I would have to buy a bigger tractor but it would still be an HST. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-16          165696

Hardwood, if I understood the Kubota web site the GST is like your trans. 12 speeds with no clutch required for most shifting but go to their web site for the model of tractor he is looking at and it is spelled right out.

As to EW and the windshield that is right funny. He probably does need football helment and seatbelt reading his experiences.

Ken no idea the size of the pedal on the L model but on my B model it takes very little room on the right floor board.

One question I have for Hardwood since this is his set up: with the shuttle trans operating a FEL also and then throw in steering wheel, do you often find you need three hands? If the FEL lever in on the right side of steering wheel and the shuttle lever in on the left side (I am totally assuming they are for that is the only set up I have ever seen on them) don't you end up often switching which hand you are steering with?

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
Murf

2009-09-16          165697

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwschumm | view 165687
I really dislike treadles that consume the entire right side of the floorboard.

The pedal on our 'botas are an 'L' shaped single pedal ~2.5" wide. The cross piece is at the top and gives a nice wide target for your right foot, but by no means takes up any where near the whole floorboard.

There's all sorts of room for my size 12's, even in big felt-pack winter boots.

Best of luck. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-09-16          165698

I garee with Murf--my blue's treadle is egronomically designed and works well. It's has a very natural feel when you drop our foot and heel-down to reverse. My backhoe had F/R pedals side-by-side and were a PIA after long hours since there was nowhere to rest my heel. And it took much more effort or leg action to go back and forth versus just dropping my leg and heel-toeing it. And the top of my blue's treadle is slightly offset from the bottom so that you don't hit Reverse while resting your foot. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-09-16          165699

KT;
On your question about needing three hands, I had to think about it minute.
Ok, the hydraulic lever is on the right, I seldom take my hand off it. Use my left hand to steer and use my litle finger to flick the reverser lever, so no I'm not having to let go of the wheel. Actually I use my whatever finger is next to your thumb mostly to steer, there is really no need to grab the wheel, one finger on any spoke steers it easily loaded or empty.
Ok, left foot is on the clutch even tho you can use the reverser lever without the clutch, I just like the feel and control a clutch gives. Right foot is for the brakes, and that's about it.
Now talk about a PIA to run a loader, the neighbors used to have an old A or B John Deere before they had live hydraulic. The loader went down by gravity so he could let it down while driving forward. Now he has a full bucket so he yanks the hand clutch kicks it out of gear puts the hand clutch back forward so the hydraulic pump will run, lift
s the bucket, yanks the hand clutch puts it in reverse to b ack away. You know the rest, I'm out of breath just remembering watching him. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-09-16          165702

It took you a "minute". Suuuuuuure. That's YOUR story and yer stickin' to it I see. LOL

Out of breath, eh? Now you know how I feel when you talk about your gear-drives! B-l-a-h!

Now here's how it sounds when I go to drive my HST: Lightly grasp the "suicide knob", push down on the treadle and go. Oh yeah, and don't forget: enjoy favorite beverage.
Couldn't be easier. Buuuut I forgot who I was talking to---almost! Gimme a hug you ol' lug you. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-16          165704

Thanks Hardwood. I hauled one of those old JD with handclutch a few years back. The trailer was a tilt and the person who use the tractor a lot all but drove it over the front end of the trailer when loading it. He drove onto that trailer so fast if the rear bumper of my pickup did not hit the ground it just missed it. When I got it to my brother in law who boried it had to pull it to crank it. The steering wheel shaft pulled out of some part of the linkage and pronto those dual front wheels made a hard right turn and into a road ditch. Good thing it made a right turn for out of traffic and the ditch was sallow and he was not running fast either. Boy was that fun from my point of view, well other than watching my truck take the shock load it did.

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
Murf

2009-09-17          165717

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 165698
I garee with Murf--my blue's treadle is egronomically designed and works well. It's has a very natural feel when you drop our foot and heel-down to reverse.

The nifty part about our 'L' shaped pedal is you don't even need your heel at all Jeff.

All you have to do is pivot your foot to the right on your heel, put your toe down and pivot back to the left. Your toe is now under the cross-piece which is top, the 'forward' portion. By lifting your toe up you have reverse now.

I and most of my guys find it's far easier and less fatiguing to do it this way than to lift your whole leg to step down with your heel.

One of the things I'm working on presently is a completely hand controlled machine for an paraplegic operator. It will be equipped with 2 4-way joysticks like an excavator has, one each side of the operators seat, the right one will be all the FEL functions in the same pattern as presently used, the left one will be steering on the left right, and direction and speed on the fore/aft motion. Since everything is already hydraulic it's only a matter of changing the controls around.

Best of luck. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-09-17          165718

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 165698
I garee with Murf--my blue's treadle is egronomically designed and works well. It's has a very natural feel when you drop our foot and heel-down to reverse. My backhoe had F/R pedals side-by-side and were a PIA after long hours since there was nowhere to rest my heel. And it took much more effort or leg action to go back and forth versus just dropping my leg and heel-toeing it. And the top of my blue's treadle is slightly offset from the bottom so that you don't hit Reverse while resting your foot.

Not sure what was wrong with your backhoe design but there is no fatigue with the side-by-side F/R pedals on my JD. The heel is always resting on the floorboard like the accelerator pedal on a car or truck.

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-09-17          165723

Wellll yaaaa knooow guys, all that strain on the heels, big toes and what ever else you push those marshmallow pedals with could be solved with a gear drive tractor.
I'm really not a bitter old geezer, but a veteran of about thirty billion tons of hog and cow excrement, (for lack of a more down home term), loading with several loaders that I wore out over the years. They all had clutch pedals so I'm just not a bit comfortable relying on getting a tractor stopped at the proper instand when hitting the XXXX pile with a marshmallow pedal. Just give him time to mature and even EW will see things my way someday. A happy old geezer Frank. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-17          165726

Hardwood, don't give up.
Over Labor Day weekend we rented a dump truck for hauling some dirt. Small truck, 6 yard bed with a gear for each yard. For our work only used 1,2 and Reverse. But ran a small load to a daughter and them 6 changes every 1/2 mile got to be fun. Funny thing was the throttle pedal was as hard to push as was the clutch.

Do have a question, do they make dump truck seats with a hole where your rear end fits from the factory? This truck only had about 26,000 miles if memory is correct and felt like a toilet seat. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-17          165727

Murf, Snapper had or has a ZTR mower with a joy stick for it's steering. No idea if it might give you some ideas with your conversion. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-09-17          165728

KT;
I worked for a road construction company the year I got out of high school driving an International Harvester "Binder" tandem dump truck with a six cylinder gas and a two stick transmission setup that took both hands and a good limber clutch leg to keep it going. The boss used to say that if he met you on the road and both hands were on the wheel then you weren't driving the thing correctly. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-09-17          165734

Kenny that seat was from me driving it last time. There's foam missing. You see, I forgot to open the tailgate when I was just 15, raised the bed up and up until I was looking straight up at the sky (true story). It was a brand new truck too, my dad's. He had a good laugh--until he got the "overloaded" ticket in the mail a week later (forgot to mention that--which is why I had to dump some load before the Weigh Master would let me proceed). Oh yeah, and I broke the Weighmaster's Windshield from the load falling off.

Kenny, are sure you weren't driving one of themthere "outdoor plumbin'-on-wheels"? Or maybe it's one one of them "Crappers for Cash" leftovers?

Speakin' of rednecks... LOL, on the Coast I met an old timer and his wife who was pleased as punch that when he was growing up they had the only two-seater outhouse for m-i-l-e-s.

Shocked and utterly amazed that he's all excited about his revelation--seeing as we're in a restaurant and there's OTHER people listening--all I could think of was: "so what was the other person doing when you were doing yer business?"

Seems like a fair question, right?

Nooooo.

He came unglued at this thishe-ahs Yankee's observation. His wife on the other hand sank down in her chair--as he put it, "Don't mind her--she's from da city, and didn't know what is was to have one" (as if she missed out on something).

I googled outhouses and how many they could "hold". The most was 24. 4-6 was not uncommon. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-18          165762

PJ, if you have to ask what the other person was doing while one was taking care of business your clutch is slipping. They were taking care of business. Just like in two hole o0r 24 hole restrooms today.

FYI, the house I grew up in had a 2 hole and we probably were the only one for miles also. No idea why the previous owner had left it for it had bath room in the house. Got it, backup.

Hey PJ did you hear about the guy from Iowa who needed a place to live and all he could fine was the top part of an outhouse? The funny part was he rented the downstairs room to a guy from Michigan. OK throw me off the board. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
ronald65

2009-09-18          165765

I have a 4630 with cab and glideshift with shuttle 1900 hrs. I love it except for one thing; if you are going uphill or downhill with a load you need to stop and change gears.It momentarily is between gears when you shift and will start to roll back if going uphill. with no load it isn't much of a problem.Just pick the right gear for the hill and load.I also just purchased a B2630 Hydro with 3 ranges and cruise control and like it fine so far. Ron ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-09-19          165771

Kenny, I may have rented the lower level but you rented the basement!

And it must be true that when your bathroom caught fire some time ago that you put it out before it got to the house? ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-09-19          165775

One of the houses we lived in when I was a kid had a cement sidewalk all the way to the two seater, now that was high livin. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-09-19          165776

One of the houses we lived in when I was a kid had a cement sidewalk all the way to the two seater, now that was high livin. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-09-19          165784

Okay Frank I gotta ask---who would come along and why? Would there be any kind of privacy--screen--hanging sheet--anything? ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-09-19          165785

EW;
You sure have led a sheltered life, you know the little potty chair in your bathroom for the little kiddies beside the full size throne. Same thing in the two seater. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-19          165786

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 165771
Kenny, I may have rented the lower level but you rented the basement! And it must be true that when your bathroom caught fire some time ago that you put it out before it got to the house?

Hate to inform you the lower level is the basement. Don't worry, it will grow on you. :) ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-09-19          165790

Franky, yeah, but when we learned how to use it--we always went alone. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-19          165791

pirata1907, are we helping you? ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
pirata1907

2009-09-21          165806

Absolutely! Thanks for all of the input. Late last week I decided to go ahead and spend the extra $ and get the L3940 HST. I plan on keeping in touch on this board. I'm sure I will need some help with attachments and general farming/tractoring (if thats a word) in the future.

Thanks again.

Thom ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-09-21          165813

That is good. I will tell you many here will ask for pictures, espeically of projects you work on or build for your tractor.

When you buy attachments...buy quality. A very very simple way to compare two brands is weight. Normally more weight means heavier built and stronger. Not always true it is better but often a good indication. If you go to buy used check on replacement parts availability.

Be sure to read the manual, they contain a lot of good info. I will make one suggestion on that tractor, be careful setting the park brake it is easy to forget it. ....

Kubota L3940 GST or HST

View my Photos
pirata1907

2009-09-21          165815

Thanks KT for the insight on attachments. As soon as I receive my tractor i'll post some pics. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login