Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota rear snow blower prices

View my Photos
saserby
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-01-02          159014

Guys,
I have a B2150HST (23 hp). I have a chance to buy a 5ft rear snow blower, which would have been great about 2 weeks ago. I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on what is a fair price for such a machine? I know it's about 15yrs old, but like new. 5 ft wide, 3 point hitch, and it's 2 stage.
I have a gravel drive. How do these work on gravel?
Also, given my tractor, anyone forsee any trouble?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-03          159017

What's the guy want for it? Generally, for something a few years old I figure 50-60% of new. After about 5 years, prices vary widely depending on many variables--season need being one. Like we say around here: never buy a boat in the spring.

The only issue on gravel what type of gravel: is it hard packed or loose?

If it's loose at all then you should lower the guide shoes enough to leave about 2" snow coverage for cars to pack down. Otherwise, you'll be sweeping gravel out of your grass come spring. ....

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-01-03          159018

There are lots around and all fit (a rear blower doesn't have to be Kubota), and they can handle the odd stone. If you don't have a front loader or weights, this heavy attachment will make the rig tail-heavy. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2009-01-03          159019

Saserby,

If the blower is in good used condition, the sale price should be about half that of a new one.

You probably know this stuff, but I'll pass it along for those who don't..........

Any implement that's powered by the PTO shaft shouldn't be operated when the PTO shaft is angled at greater than 10 degrees.

Measure from the ground to the center of your tractor's PTO shaft. Then measure from the ground to the center of the blower's PTO shaft. These measurements don't have to be identical to each other in order to make the blower compatible with your tractor, but there shouldn't be more than a couple of inches difference between the two.

You should disengage the PTO when lifting the blower to full transport height. You should decrease the engine rpms anytime you lift the blower more than a few inches. Never operate the blower at full rpms when lifting it, as this can cause serious damage to the PTO shaft and/or the equipment.

If you have a high crown on your gravel driveway, try to avoid going right down the center of your drive while blowing, as this will result in the skid shoes spanning over the crown, allowing rocks to be dug up by the blower's cutting edge. Instead, make a pass down each side of the driveway.

It's not necessary to clear the snow right down to the ground. If the blower has adjustable skid shoes, it's always best to lower them, raising the blower to the highest setting. If you find that you could get away with slightly less clearance, you can then adjust the skid shoes for your conditions. It's always best to start with the highest setting the first time down the drive.

We received another 5 inches of snow last night. More snow in store for us early next week. This has been a record winter for us up to this point. There could be a real mess up here in North Dakota, come Spring.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Lwayne

2009-01-03          159020

It's worth what you're willing to pay for it. My guess is somewhere between $600 and $800. Providing everything previously posted is adhered to, 23 hp should handle 5' under "normal" circumstances. The more snow - the slower you go. (Not RPM's, speed.) If the snow is too deep you can always take partial cuts; say 3 or 4 feet instead of five. ....

View my Photos
saserby

2009-01-03          159021

Guys,
I really appreciate the feedback. It sounds like his $350 asking price is pretty reasonable. I'm going to look at it today. We get some snow here, but not as bad as up north. Right now, all the snow has melted agian. The blower is a bit of a luxury, since I'm getting by with the loader, but for the price, I may have to have it. ....

View my Photos
Lwayne

2009-01-03          159022

If it's in that good of shape $350 would be a steal. You can't even buy a walk-behind for that! ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2009-01-03          159024

Saserby,

I agree with Lwayne! Go get that blower, before someone else gets their hands on it! And if you ever decide to sell it, you should easily be able to double your money.....but I wouldn't sell it.

As Lwayne pointed out, you might run into problems with heavy, deep snow. You're at the limit on horsepower for a blower that big. If you find that your tractor starts to bog down, you can either slow down your ground speed, or make narrower passes.....er, take smaller bites.

I forgot to mention you should always run your blower at full engine throttle....540 rpm. You'll want and need all the horsepower you can get from your tractor when operating the snowblower.

At any rate, that blower is a real bargain.

Joel ....

View my Photos
saserby

2009-01-03          159026

Well,I just went and looked at it. I think it was a model B2560? Paint is faded like you might expect for an early 90's model, but there wasn't a knick on the skid plates, cutting edge or blades. I don't think it's ever been used. The blades spin easily by hand from the shaft. The guy says he never used it because he bought out a dealers stock going out of business back then, but it was too small for his tractors. Anyway, I said I'd think about it, but I've thought enough. I'm calling him now. ....

View my Photos
ejkessler

2009-01-03          159028

Don't wait another minute. Go buy it. You could easily sell a rig like that for close to a 1000.00 if it is like the way you describe it. You can find less expensive blowers around new for around 1500.00 to 1800.00. A lot of them are over 2000.00. I wouldn't sell it anyway as mentioned above, the ease of using it will impress and spoil you compared to your current method. ....

View my Photos
windyhollow

2009-01-03          159030

Joel,

That is great information for those of us new to tractor ownership. I'm going to copy this info and put it in my tractor file since we'll probably end up buying a snowblower. I'll definitely make sure my husband reads this before operating one. Thanks for the expertise! SJ ....

View my Photos
saserby

2009-01-03          159031

Yeas, I agree Joel, good info. Having never used one, I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I'm picking up my new blower tomorrow, $325. Bring on the snow! ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2009-01-03          159032

Windyhollow, Saserby,

I get a little windy at times, but I do so because I, too, am a reader of these forums. Thanks to our members, I learn something new here nearly every day.

Often I would search for hours to find an answer to my question. If I can provide the answers to the most common questions in many areas of this forum, I believe it will be very helpful to those who are starting out with a compact tractor for the first time, as I once did.

There are probably a few people (more than a few?) on this board who get tired of me writing such long letters, and so danged often, but I really only do it to help people find the answers to their questions in a very timely manner.

Thanks for letting me know that I'm helping someone out. I'm always happy to be of assistance, as are our other members.

Joel ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-01-03          159033

Lube the chain, and look for zerks to lube. Learn how to check and adjust the chain tension. Check the operation of the chute direction, and oil the swing point. If it uses a wire to turn it, make a sketch of what goes where in case it ever breaks. At the end of the season touch up or oil-spray wherever the paint got damaged. ....

View my Photos
Hettric

2009-01-03          159036

Joel-
Just to say I very much appreciate your detailed answers. Even if I do not have the particular question. As you say, learning something new is well worthwhile.
Thanks

View my Photos
ejkessler

2009-01-04          159044

In addition to the greasing and lubing of the zerks, chain and shafts, make certain to CHANGE the gear box lube. If he never used it he probably never changed the oil in the box and you usually want to do that once a year regardless of how much time you put on it because of condensation. ....

View my Photos
saserby

2009-01-04          159050

Thanks. I thought about that. I need to change it in my rototoller too. I'm sure they are the same. What does it take in those? 80-90 wt? ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2009-01-04          159051

Saserby,

Rototillers are generally used during the warmer summer months. My King Kutter tiller literature specifies GL5 85W-140 EP lube. This is a pourable grease, containing Extreme Pressure (EP) additives. It's available at Tractor Supply, as well as most oil outlets.

Your snowblower will be used in much colder temperatures. I don't know how cold it gets where you're at, but I'd go with Cenex brand Matron GL EP gear lube. It's synthetic based, and flows well in cold temperatures. I use it in both differentials of my pickup, and it hasn't failed me. It's good stuff. Flows freely at temps well below zero.

Even so, it's always best to engage the tractor's PTO when the tractor is running at low rpms, in order to give the lube in the tiller gearbox a minute to warm up and begin flowing.

Cold weather can be hard on things. Always start out slow. Give your bearings, hydraulics, universal joints, gearboxes, transmissions, etc.... a minute or two to warm up before applying full power.

Joel ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2009-01-04          159052

ooops.

Make that "MAXTRON GL", with an "X". Sorry about that.

Joel ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2009-01-04          159053

Cenex Maxtron Gear Lubricant.
For use in cold weather operations.

See the link below.

Joel ....

Link:   MAXTRON GL

View my Photos
saserby

2009-01-06          159145

Well, I got my blower home and so far, so good. I got it all hooked up, lubed up, and everything spins and moves nicely. I have one more question about the gear box lube. The only port in the box is on the side. I stuck a piece of wire in it to see if it was full, and there is lube in it. But, what is the trick to drain and fill it? So far all I can see is to pick the whole blower up and hang it by one end with the loader to drain it. I could fill it through a tube. Any other thoughts? Seems like there should be an easier way. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2009-01-06          159146

Saserby,

The best way to drain it is to use a siphon hose. You won't get all of the oil out, but you'll get the great majority of it.

The port on the side serves two purposes. That's your fill point, and also the full mark. When the oil begins to come out of that hole, the gearbox is full.

Many manufacturers stopped putting drain plugs in their gearboxes, due to the fact that vibration can loosen the plugs.....draining the oil and destroying the gears. It really is better not to have a drain plug on the gearbox.

Most auto stores sell a hand siphon pump. It looks like a small hand operated air pump, like the ones used for bicycles years ago. It has two hoses on it. One hose goes into the gearbox. The other hose goes into your oil collection container.

Harbor Freight sells this item for $5.99
Item number 3878-5VGA

Try the link below.

Joel ....

Link:   Hand Siphon Pump

View my Photos
ejkessler

2009-01-07          159152

Tractor supply and most auto parts stores sell them as well. They are great to have. You also use them to siphon old gas out of small power equipment. Use a quality oil as well. You use so little it is not worth the inexpensive brands. I like synthetics. Lucas, Amsoil, etc. Synthetic is by no means necessary, but it does not break down as fast under heat or high pressure. ....

View my Photos
saserby

2009-01-08          159222

Thanks guys. I knew there must be a trick. That makes sense about the drain plugs. For $6 that is a must have item. I'm going to Farm & Fleet today to pick up what I need.

I'll tell you, this blower is pretty low maintenance. The fan is direct drive, so no chain. And the bearings are all sealed. The only thing to grease is the drive shaft, and lube the gear box. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login