Go Bottom Go Bottom

grease fittings on steering linkage-knuckle

View my Photos
gerbilone
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-18          66529

can't get any grease into the knuckle. Replaced the nipple but still can't fill knuckle with grease...any ideas on this...Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-18          66538

Did you check that the hole goes completely throught to the ball when you had the fitting out. Stranger things have happened.
I know one friend that had the master brake cylinder not drilled all the way an a new car. Kept taking back to the dealer complaining about the brakes, but finally he determined what it was. He was more than a little steamed as he only had rear brakes on a new car. ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-18          66545

Like peters said only stick a pointy thing in the hole and wiggle it around. Is there a hole there? Is it full of old hard dried grease?

Maybe the new nipple bad too. You can try and clear a nipple by sticking it in your grease gun...If it does not clear stick a slim pointy thing into the top of it the little ball bearing might be rusted. Hold nipple in vise or vise grips not in the palm of your hand to try this... ;-) ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-19          66557

Good suggestions and I've done all of them and time or another. If all else fails then the knuckle could be bad. I don't think I've heard of that on steering knuckles but I recently had a ball joint on my 1/2-ton replaced because it wouldn't take grease.

I did miss a grease fitting on my snow-blower for awhile--duh. When I finally noticed, it wouldn't take grease. I finally got enough grease to it without taking apart by heating it with a heat-gun. That might help with the knuckle but it also might ruin the rubber boot.

If you remove the knuckle there is a trick for putting them back together and there are torque specs. They won't tighten because the ball just spins inside the knuckle. The ball shaft has a tapered shaft that has to be seated before the ball nut will take torque. It could be started by clamping or maybe whacking but just twisting the steering arm while tightening the nut is easiest. A channel lock or pipe wrench does just fine.

I'm going through this because some idiot apparently didn't know this and the drag link fell off the second day I had my used tractor. There was a comment about the driving while going back and forth between the speed and reverse pedals last week. My version of that was driving while holding the drag link on the Pitman arm with my toe. ....

View my Photos
gerbilone

2003-10-21          66743

Is there any spray that might be shot in the grease fitting hole to loosen up rust or any crud in the top of the knuckle. My thoughts are that the knuckle has never been greased, and water or condensation got inside...

I'm new to tractors and my pucker factor was at an all time high with the front loader....Two wheels off the ground was a real education.....soft spot in the yard.....I walk before I drive now.... ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-10-21          66746

I would remove the fitting and then pick as much out of the hole as possible with a pin. Pick up the front end with the loader, put the fitting back in, attach the grease gun and then work the wheel back and forth as the pressure on the gun is applied. Hopefully you can work the grease in. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-22          66766

I don't know what type grease gun you're using. Some types develop more pressure than others. My old lever type creates quite a bit more pressure than some box store quality air toys I made the mistake of buying. I don't know how the power grease guns compare.

Trying to work grease into it sounds like the ticket and light greases might be easier--some types of grease aren't very compatible though. If that doesn't work we might think through rigging up a pressure line to the fitting and trying to pump penetrating oil into the knuckle. I haven't heard of it being done but it seems like a possibility. Maybe somebody knows of a downside.

View my Photos
Murf

2003-10-22          66774

If you go to a big, quality, auto supply house they should be able to get (or might even stock) a type of grease gun known as a percussion gun. These are basically a small cylinder, like a hydraulic cylinder, with a small pipe and grease nipple fitting at the end. You use it by eother pushing it against a grease nipple, or in the case of a fitting that won't take grease, strike it with a rubber mallet like it was a huge nail. The sudden shot of grease under such extreme pressure is usually enough to blow past an obstruction. These used to be very common units but are getting harder to find these days since most people use high pressure air-powered units now.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-10-22          66843

If it is packed with old dry grease and all the above tricks fail. Heat it, not so hot as to burn the rubber boot, but you need it quite warm/hot then stick the grease to it. She will take it then or you might as well replace the whole end. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-23          66882

Yes, that's what did work for me. I think I got the area hot enough to ruin a boot but maybe less heat would have worked--didn't have to worry about a boot. Well, taking it apart to replace a boot or the whole knuckle shouldn't be too bad if there's a separating fork handy. Some pullers may work as well. If it's has a dimple on the shaft end it's intended to be removed with a puller. I'd just as soon not bang away on a fork if a puller would work. ....

View my Photos
greaser

2003-12-22          71956

Remove the fitting, clean out as much as you can, then spray WD40 in as much as it will absorb. Let it sit a while, put a good fitting back on and grease away. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login