Go Bottom Go Bottom

LK 2554 4wd w Koyker Loader

View my Photos
Len
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-07          48825

Guys,
You all seem to know you stuff.
I own a gun range and need a tractor to keep it up.
It is 13 acres. 6 open and the rest will have a lot of turning.
I need to mow, grade, spread gravel, move some dirt for drainage, and dig a few post holes.
I found a used LK 2554 4wd with a Koyker loader with 200 hours on it. They said it is a 2002 year model.
They are asking $9,000.00. I am sure they will take less or throw in some more attachements.
From reading all your posts, you say Kioti is a good value but the LK 2554 has to stop before changing gears.
I am a shooter and not a tractor operator. So any advice would be great and if this tractor a good one is it a good price?

Thanks guys, and if anyone is in Dallas Texas stop by the range.
Len

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-02-07          48856

Len, I think Kioti's are great! HOWEVER, the non-syncro, non shuttle transmission would get very old very fast. You might even find their new CK20 (out shortly) to your liking and at not a lot more money. You really can't go wrong with any Korean/Japanese tractor. Biggest consideration is having a dealer who will support you when you need them.
Pacesetter ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-08          48871

I think it'd be good to drive several different tractors around to get a sense of the differences between various variations of sychromesh, sliding gear and hydrostatic transmissions.

With tractors you don't shift as often as you might think. The main purpose of a TX in a tractor is to set the ground speed. Tractors have to run at PTO RPM when using a PTO implement and the TX is the only way to change ground speeds. Normally you pick an appropriate gear when a job is started and never change it. Tractors don't have to be shifted like cars to get up to speed. A hydrostatic transmissions is a whole different idea.

The main problem with shifting comes from loader work-it's a lot of going from forward to reverse. You'd normally be close to stopped when shifting anyway and you might be able to live with a slide-gear TX. With most you don't have to be absolutely stopped to shift and the Kioti TX may be generous enough to keep you happy, but you can't get in a hurry and jam one in gear. Of course, HST is what most people want for a lot of loader work.

If mowing is the main intended use, you might want to look at mid-mount mowers--they are expensive though. If a MMM is interesting it would be good to check what's available for any tractor with an existing loader. Many combinations of loader and MMM mounts aren't compatible and then a loader has to be removed to use the MMM.

From the description, it sounds like a box-scraper would be good for a lot of the grounds work. Hydraulic top-links make box scrapers much more useful, so a tractor with an existing rear valve controlled hydraulic outlet would be good.

View my Photos
Len

2003-02-09          48921

Great info guys.
I have heard that the power of these little tractors are offset by the lack of weight. In other words for me, how knows little, a 25 horse might be plenty due to the loss of traction that happens.
The 1914 has the hydrostatic transmision which everyone says is great, until you have to fix it. But then many folks say they don't break, especially if you don't let anyone else use it.
I like thought of a Hydro if the 19 horse will do it. I feel like i will want more power, my uncle (tractor drive forever) says 45 horses to start... Gee, I was only thinking about 25 to start....
I don''t know about the "new" one yet...

Any thoughts about the durability of the Hydro's and the 1914 compared to a 25 horse power???

Thanks guys, you all are great... I wish it was a gun issue, I would know the answer, generally.

Len ....

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-02-09          48933

Len, In a few months, Kioti will have the CK20 available in hydro. Until then, there are no Kioti hydros. Hydro's are usually bullet proof (how's that for gettin' the guns in!) The first time you split the case on a manual trans, you've usually paid for the extra cost of a hydro, plus they're worth more on resale and easier to operate on loader work. You can be as accurate as a Nosler boatail placing the bucket where you want. On the B series Kubota's which go to 30 HP, there is only one model now with a shift trans - the B7500DT. Kioti's are much heavier than a typical John Deere or Kubota in their HP class, so weight is not as much an issue with them. I think in the 7 tight areas you have a 45 HP like your uncle says will be too cumbersome and it doesn't sound like you need that kind of HP in the remaining 6. I would go around to dealers and test drive some machines so you get an idea what you like. You might have to bite the bullet (there I go again) and spend a few more pesos to get a machine you'll be happy with.
Pacesetter ....

View my Photos
Len

2003-02-09          48950

Well there you go making me think smarter and yep, I agree with everything you said. I think a smaller horse power, heavy tractor with a hydro would be the best.
I am thinking a 25 to 30 horse Kioti with a Hydro. I don't think they make such a thing so I guess the Kubota or something like it would be the best..
Bottom dollar it for me. Which one do you think?
And do you think I should buy new or used? I have heard alot of folks that bought a good new Kubota say that they have been offered the same price to sell it.
As long as I wouldn't lose a lot of "drive off" value I think I should just buy a new one, and get what I want, keep it a couple of years and see what my needs are then?
So, I am I on the right track?
And I am serious, if you are ever in Dallas come by and shoot some.
Thanks,
Len ....

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-02-09          48955

Len, Kioti will be coming out with a 30hp hydro, but not for a while yet, educated guess, sometime in the summer.
If I were in the market for a tractor with your specs, I would look at the Kubota B7800. If looking used I would check out a B2410, 2710, 2910. I wouldn't forget New Holland. The TC 29D and 33D are very nice also. Biggest thing is which dealer and tractor YOU feel most comfortable with. Deere makes excellent units too, I just think you'll find them a little pricey.
Love to take you up on the offer. I'm down to a few hunting rifles now :-( Not too many hang around when I break out the 300 Weatherby. ....

View my Photos
Len

2003-02-09          48958

WOW,

I just found the Kioti CK20 that was at a Farm Show.
Jesus it said it was a 51 horse, with a Hydro and lists for 11,900.
Is that correct?
That sounds like the deal of the century.
Any more thougts?
And yes a 300 is a bad boy. You can't wear enough ear plugs for those.
My background is in Action Pistol plus some police training.
My web site is www.tdsa.net if you are interested.
Len ....

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-02-09          48960

Len, The CK 20 is 20 HP. You're luckier than me, I haven't seen one in person yet. I wouldn't rule it out, it might be all you need. Will check out your web site.
Pacesetter ....

View my Photos
Len

2003-02-09          48962

I thought a CK20 would be a 20 horse but I just read that is was a 51 horse. but I guess I could have screwed that up. I will go look again.

View my Photos
mathey

2003-02-10          48978

Here are the specs for the CK20. It's 21 HP/16 PTO hp with the HST

http://www.kiotitractor.com/products/ck20[1].html

I have one on order now, due for delivery in the March/April time frame. I'll just say you can get one for MUCH cheaper than the list price you were quoted. ....

View my Photos
Todd-AgEquip

2003-02-13          49182

TomG was right, I believe that a box blade will be good enough to do most of your work. If you are planning to dig a lot of holes with your tractor you might want a 30+ horse tractor. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Len B

2003-02-13          49214

Guys,

I don't want to sound bad or even stupid here but I just spent several days driving around testing most of the tractors in a 100 plus mile radius and I ended up thinking the Kioti was much to "small" for me. I am 6-01 and when I got in the seat I felt like I was in sardin can. All the others felt much better. I loved the price of the Kioti but hated it once I got in the seat...

It looks like I will be spending a lot more money. I hate it though.

Thanks for ALL the help guys....

Len B.

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-13          49216

Len, you just articulated a very important rule:
It has to "sit" good.
It is worth the extra bucks to get something you can be comfortable with.
I am 6-3 and my Kubota BX sits better than my Deere 4100, especially if I gotta drive it while looking out the rear. ....

View my Photos
KIOTIMAN

2003-02-15          49293

HOW LONG ARE YOUR LEGS, I AM SAME HEIGTH AND HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH MY 3054 ....

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-02-15          49295

Good idea Len, Exactly why you should shop around a lot before you plunk down the cash. Better to be happy with a $15K purchase than hate a $10K one.
Pacesetter ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-16          49330

Happy you had that experience. I've described it as the 'AHH THAT'S THE ONE FOR ME' experience. It sure does simplify things, and it's also seldom wrong. When a person gets it, that's almost always going to be the best tractor. Driving a few around is very good.

Sometimes I think that all the analysis and consideration of features and specs etc. that goes on is mostly learning about tractors in general and serves as place markers while waiting for this AHH thing to happen. It was very simple for me 'cause it happened the first tractor I looked at and it's still probably the best tractor for me.

I could continue with a sort of 'Tractors as Art' thing but that's probably over doing it. But I am sometimes interested in things outside my immediate tractor work. Along these lines my father-in-law decided I needed a gift. He got me a book titled '100 Years of Vintage Farm Tractors,' Michael Dregni, Editor. I'd say it's a good account of some people's 'Ah that's the one' experience from way back to the early days of the mechanical mules. I'm looking forward to reading it soon as I get my Wife's web page working. It's too cold here for tractor work.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login