Go Bottom Go Bottom

4610 vs 4720

View my Photos
momeyer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-05          99868

Gents,

Am considering upgrading my '03 4610 with 62 hours,loader, and pallet forks to a new '05 4720 with like equipment. I know with such low hours it is not even broken in but, am concerned that the 4610 will be unable to lift 4X5 round haylage bales. Am sure that the 4720 will have enough oomph. Dealer has quoted me a price difference of $10,900. Any comments?

Regards,
Hank

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4610 vs 4720

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-05          99870

Guess I would first investigate the ratings of the tractors and find out for sure the weight of the bales. Maybe the 4720 isn't enough either or maybe you are OK. An earlier thread suggested these bales are real heavy. I don't know that is out of my field of experience. For $10,000.00 you could get a nice older BIG JD 2WD farm tractor. More equipment means more versatility. ....

4610 vs 4720

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-05          99871

I'm pretty sure, if you check the loader specs, the 4610 will lift just as much as the 4720. With the proper amount of ballast, the 4610 will lift and carry a 4x5 round bale. Probably the best thing to do would be to carry one bale on the back and one on the front. Just be sure to leave the back one on until after you unload the front bale.

The 4720 has a lot more HP and torque but produces the same amount of hydraulic pressure. The hydraulic pressure is where you get your lifting power. ....

4610 vs 4720

View my Photos
momeyer

2004-11-05          99873

Good point about the hydraulics. Need to look into that. Have had no problem picking up the dry 5X6 bales with the 4610, one in front and one in back. Haylage is probably 40% heavier, however. Probably should have confessed up front...actually my wife is advocating the trade. She doesn't like the Power Reverser and wants the hydro...I always end up doing the spade and grunt work anyway...go figure.

Hank ....

4610 vs 4720

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-05          99882

The plus side, the hydro and more HP, hydro alone makes it worth switching. Down side no Yanmar engine in new one. Not that deere is bad but probably none are better than a Yanmar. Also a new model in its first year, can have more issues. If one of these tractors can't pick up your bales, it will be the 400x on the new machine. The breakout strength is when the hydraulics stop moving no matter how much weight you hang on the back. The 460 loader breakout is 3863 pounds and the new 400x breakout is 3506 pounds. They improve things by making them weaker, go figure. It is just the opposite of their skid loaders, whose breakout seems huge compared to years past. ....

4610 vs 4720

View my Photos
Billy

2004-11-05          99895

Well Hank, since you fessed up ;)

I'd go with the 4720 but first I'd also check to see if that 4610 would lift the bales you need to lift. Different types of hay weigh different. If so, the 4720 will too.

The $10,900 difference sounds a little steep. I'd try to talk him down 2 grand, at the least. ....

4610 vs 4720

View my Photos
JimP

2004-11-05          99897

Hey Billy - just reading through this thread and your comment on needing higher hydraulic pressure to lift heavier loads caught my eye. Are you sure about that?

My understanding of tractor hydraulic systems is that most run in the 2000-2250 PSI range for any size tractor. How much weight a loader could lift would be determined more by the diameter of the lift cylinders than the operating pressure of the hydraulic system. Larger diameter cylinders (along with a beefier loader frame) should be able to lift more weight.

With larger diameter cylinders, one should be more concerned with the GPM output of the built-in hydraulic pump, as it takes more fluid to move the piston the same linear distance. The same size GPM pump on a tractor with a loader with larger diameter lift cylinders equates to slower dump and recycle times.

So rather than looking at the difference is pressure between these two or any two tractors, one should be looking at the diameter of the lift cylinders and the GPM output of the hydraulic pump. I think those two factors will determine the lift capacity and speed of your loader, as opposed to hydraulic pressure.

Please correct me if I am wrong... ....

4610 vs 4720

View my Photos
Billy

2004-11-05          99898

Jim, what I was referring to was the 4720 vs the 4610 and the 400X vs the 460 loader. Both tractors run the same hydraulic PSI, 2,500 and both loaders are almost identical. What I was trying to say is no matter how much HP or torque the tractors have, the lifting power will be the same. You can also change the lifting power by adjusting the relief valve but you might get into a bit of a bind if you adjust too much.

If my memory serves me correctly, the 4720 does have a higher GPM hydraulic pump. The higher GPM pump would not help with lifting power but only speed. ....

4610 vs 4720

View my Photos
JimP

2004-11-05          99899

Hi Billy - Yes I totally agree. I guess it just must have been the way I read your original post with respect to the context of the original question on lift capacity.

"The 4720 has a lot more HP and torque but produces the same amount of hydraulic pressure. The hydraulic pressure is where you get your lifting power."

and from that my mind formed the conclusion that: higher pressure give you more lifting power!

which we both know for the most part is untrue. No harm, no foul -- we are both on the same page. Just didn't a new owner form the same wrong conclusion that I initially reached when I read your statement. Let my response be some education to some the newer users.

So to answer the original question: are the lift cylinders on the 400X loader the same diameter as on the 460? If so, then you are correct -- I wouldn't expect that loader to be be able to lift much more than what he already has with the 460 loader. ....

4610 vs 4720

View my Photos
denwood

2004-11-05          99900

I'm still not sure eveyone is clear on lifting power. Higher pressure will definitly give more lifting power. Twice the pressure, twice the lift on identical loaders(you will probably break the loader), its just that you won't get a huge increase in pressure with tractors. cylinder size is bigger= more lift on IDENTICAL loaders but when you switch loader designs completely, loader geometry is important. Larger cylinders may not net more lift if the goemetry is different. Actually the 460 is stronger hydraulically than the 400x, unless the Deere literature is wrong, and I know it is at times. ....

4610 vs 4720

View my Photos
Billy

2004-11-05          99901

Hey Jim, I'm glad we got our miscommunication taken care of ;)

As far as the 400X and the 460 using the same lift cylinder, the answer has to be yes. I looked up the part number for a lift cylinder kit and both use the same part number.

I do believe the only difference between the 400X and the 460 is cosmetics. ....

4610 vs 4720

View my Photos
Chief

2004-11-05          99902

momeyer,

In my opinion, there is not much if anything the 4720 can do that the 4610 can't do within reason. I am sure someone can point out something but it is not likely to be of consequence to you. The extra cost for the 4720 plus the huge loss you will take on trading in the 4610 cannot be justified cost vs use wise. The 4610 is a great value tractor and I would suggest keeping it. If it not doing what you need now; then a 5000 series tractor or larger is probably what you should be considering. Save your money for implements of other more needed tasks. ....

4610 vs 4720

View my Photos
JimP

2004-11-05          99904

denwood - sure I agree with you also. I guess the important point to take away from all of this is that loader designs on CUTs all assume a somewhat FIXED hydraulic operating pressure (somewhere in the 2000-2500 PSI) range, and the only way to dramatically increase lift capacity is through larger diameter lift cylinders, a larger GPM pump, and perhaps loader geometry and design.

Hank - after all of this hydrualics education, we have deduced that the loader setup on the newer 4720/400X setup is not going to have substantially more lift capacity that what you already have with the 4610/460 setup. So to echo Chief's comments, what do you really think you are getting for the $10K+ upgrade? ....

4610 vs 4720

View my Photos
plots1

2004-11-05          99905

THE 521 0R 541 LOADER FROM THE 5000 SERIES WILL LIFT AND CARRY ANY BALE YOU CAN FIND,ANY HAY WORK WARRENTS THAT THE 5000 SERIES IS ABOUT THE SMALLEST TRACTOR YOU WOULD WANT FOR DOING IT SAFELY AND NOT TRYING TO OUT DO THE MACHINE UNLESS YOUR USING SOME OF THEM COMPACTS BAILING TOOLS. ....

4610 vs 4720

View my Photos
Billy

2004-11-05          99906

Hey Jim, did you forget that Hank's wife wants, I mean WANTS a hydro tranny? To me this says Hank will be getting a hydro ;)

In all seriousness, if the loader lift, on these two tractors, is the deciding factor, keep what you have.

One more question for Hank! When will you be trading? :) ....

4610 vs 4720

View my Photos
momeyer

2004-11-08          100053

Well Gents, many thanks for all the good information. Actually the dealer is "throwing in" a canopy, rear SVC, rear work lights, auto cruise, speed and load match, and loaded tires. The little lady loves the tractor work, but has been VERY unhappy with the Power Reverser. 'Nough said. Have told him to order it...should take about a month. Guess I'll go ahead and buy myself a new shovel. Thanks again!

Hank ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login