Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere Engine

View my Photos
jonesiera
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-05          99861

I checked with the John Deere Partsman yesterday when I picked up extra keys for my 4110 (Wife made me do it!) The Dealer told that John Deere is now making its own Engines for their Compacts.Is this so?
Bob J

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

John Deere Engine

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-05          99872

The new 4000 Twenty series have Deere, rather than Yanmar engines. ....

John Deere Engine

View my Photos
jonesiera

2004-11-05          99874

Is this a Plus.I guess the Engines are a new design or not.
Were the Yanmar Engines a problem for JD or do they think they have a better one? ....

John Deere Engine

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-05          99877

Yanmar engines a problem? Never.

They may well be the most reliable small diesels in the world. ....

John Deere Engine

View my Photos
jonesiera

2004-11-05          99891

I've had a 332 14 years with the Yanmar engine and couldn't figure out why they would change now. I just bought the 4110 and thought "Oh No." The dealer couldn't or wouldn't tell why they changed. ....

John Deere Engine

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-11-05          99908

I have not heard that the existing 4000 and 90 series was changing.

About half of them are made by Yanmar anyway.... so I can't see them changing those, but who knows? ....

John Deere Engine

View my Photos
dmp437

2004-11-05          99909

It's all about the MONEY! JD can source their own engines cheaper from Mexico (that's where the new TWENTY engines are made) than Japan.
Japan recently signed a NAFTA like agreement with Mexico so look for a lot more formerly Japanese componets to go to Mexico.
The existing 4000 TEN mid-size (4210,4310,4410) are changing to the 3000 TWENTY Series here shortly at which point they switch from Yanmars to the Mexican built Deere engines. ....

John Deere Engine

View my Photos
daveknowshow

2004-11-05          99918

givin the choice 3000 mexi motor or jap yanmar? any input? ....

John Deere Engine

View my Photos
BrendonN

2004-11-05          99921

It would be tough to vote against the Yanmar given that company's long history. Deere has been using Yanmar engines (and whole tractors) for many years with good success. Not saying that Mexico-sourced engines wouldn't be good too, but they are less of a known thing at this point. ....

John Deere Engine

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-11-05          99922

The new JD engines may turn out to be great but right now I think they're relatively unknown. The Yanmars are bulletproof. I wouldn't hesitate to own the JD, but if you're after a known thing ya gotta give Yanmar the nod for the present. ....

John Deere Engine

View my Photos
daveknowshow

2004-11-05          99924

thnx for quick response got the lowest price so far on the jd 790 with fell today at 13990.00 out the door! i think i'll be goin with these folks! was thinking of waiting till the 3000 series comes out but not sure if its what i'd want not much info on it yet. and i'm sure another price increase will follow? ....

John Deere Engine

View my Photos
Billy

2004-11-05          99926

John Deere has been building engines for a while now. The John Deere 4024T, which is used in the 4000 twenty series (amoung other equipment), is an industrial engine. ....

Link:   John Deere Industrial Engines 2.4L

John Deere Engine

View my Photos
Billy

2004-11-05          99928

Yanmar makes some of the best diesel engines out there. It could be a marketing thing with John Deere, using their own engine? ....

Link:   JOHN DEERE SURPASSES PRODUCTION OF FIVE MILLION ENGINES

John Deere Engine

View my Photos
dmp437

2004-11-06          99938

In addition to being cheaper to produce in Mexico, another reason for the change is for segment smashing power. Whereas the current TEN series (4210,4310,4410) have 28, 32, 35 gross HP respectively, the new TWENTY series mid-size (3320,3520,3720) will have 32.4, 37.7, and 43.7 gross HP. The 3520 and 3720 will have turbocharged 1.5L diesels. This will put JD at the top of the heap power wise and the motors will be cheaper to produce to boot.

John Deere Engine

View my Photos
reason201

2004-11-08          100046

I am sure that any Deere product has significant hours of testing behind it but I am never comfortable buying the first year of any product. There will most likely be issues that expose themselves once the units are out in the field where the real world testing begins. This is where having a strong dealer who will go the extra mile for you service wise could make the difference. I am lucky enough to have the best of both worlds... a 4710 that has run like a top from day one and a dealer who I know from past experience would do what ever it took to make any problem right.

Good luck with what ever unit you go with... my vote... go with the best dealer, not just the best price. The quality of the dealers service is remembered long after the price is forgotten. ....

John Deere Engine

View my Photos
robinson

2004-11-12          100277

Any guesses as to how long we have to wait for the new 2000 twenty series? It would appear as if JD would like to "clean up" the models in this segment, ie some of the small frame 4010's. ....

John Deere Engine

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2004-11-12          100282

I was told by a JD dealer that the new series would not be available until probably late March due to the fact that they have a fairly large inventory on the 4000 series units left. He did say that this would probably lead to a "sale price" earlier in the spring of the remaining inventory...probably in the range of $500 to $1000 off depending on the unit. He did say that he is only going by Deere's past history though and that he has not heard anything definite on this however. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login