Go Bottom Go Bottom

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
cherymax
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-27          99357

My 455 has an idiot light that extinguishes when the plugs are through "pre-heating" the cylinders. The 455 also starts without even turning-over once... all the time, every time... rain, sleet, or snow(1/2" in GA).

Now the 4110 is supposed to indicate that the glow plugs are finished doing there thing, with a "click" after approx. 3 seconds. However, it's got to be the quietest click I've ever heard or a non-existent click. When starting the 4110, it turns over 3 or 4 times, even on a warm day. However, when it's warm from being operated... it starts pretty quickly.

I'm just curious? Does your 4100,4010,4110, or 4115 series tractor operate like my 4110? Can you hear any click indicating that the glow plugs are ready? Does it take 3 or 4 cranks for it to start?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-27          99359

I have an unrelated diesel in my Mitsubishi fuso and it does the same thing. Light goes out after 4-5 seconds no click and no start. I let the light goe out and wait for the click 10-15 seconds and it starts every time. ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-27          99360

My 86 VW is exactly the same. Light burns for up to 15 sec (-20°) then the relay clicks off another 10 sec later. These are the o-l-d style "slow" VW glow plugs.

VW manual states that you should begin cranking when the light goes off, meaning that the glow plugs remain energized while cranking. Sure makes for a slow cranking RPM when cold. ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
beagle

2004-10-27          99364

The glow plug light in my Kubota isn't supposed to click or go off, but I have found that on warm days, a count to 8 is about right for a quick start, and up to 12-15 count in the winter. 3 seconds sounds too quick for any glow plug to warm the cylinder enough for combustion. ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-10-27          99366

Try a TDI VW. On my '01 Jetta TDI the glow light is on for maybe 5 sec on the coldest days. Always starts. ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
denwood

2004-10-28          99390

The VW tdi's trick you. I just traded my 99.5 for a 2005 Jetta wagon. The dealer told me those ingenious Germans linked the glow plugs to the door. When you open the door, the glow plugs start and by the time you turn the key they are about ready. ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
rbkuconn

2004-10-28          99394

I have a 4200. I bought it new 4 years ago and insisted on a direct injection diesel. I have NEVER had to use the glow plugs to start this tractor-even when it was 0 out.
It is kept in an unheated shed and I love it! ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
denwood

2004-10-28          99397

The VW tdi's trick you. I just traded my 99.5 for a 2005 Jetta wagon. The dealer told me those ingenious Germans linked the glow plugs to the door. When you open the door, the glow plugs start and by the time you turn the key they are about ready. ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-10-28          99398

Denwood: TDI = Turbo Direct Injected. Very Little heat is needed in a direct injected motor compared to indirect injected. Their tech is very high on that motor, also leading to shorter GP time.

I think your dealer was pulling your leg. Every time you open the door? That would make for alot of dead batteries. ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
denwood

2004-10-28          99421

Sorry, I mispoke, I am well well aware of why direct injection is better, the same reason my chevy 6.5 was crappy in winter. I just spoke to my dealer service dept. and they corrected me, and the salesman who told me. The car preheats the glow plugs when the door is unlocked, not opened and then completes the process when you turn the key. If the car is not started is stops the cycle. You just can't trust car salesmen! ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-10-28          99423

Very good, now fill an entire page with:

I will never believe a car salesman ever again. ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
cherymax

2004-10-29          99478

Funny I tought this was a tractor forum... great moderating ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
jonesiera

2004-10-29          99480

My 4110 operates the same way, wheras my 332 operates a light and when the light goes out it starts right away. Maybe the 4110 is operating the way its supposed to?
Bob J ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
aemiller

2005-01-11          103990

My 4110 behaves just the same. I'm glad I saw this post because I was just wrestling with this same question. I can barely hear a click and was wondering if that was really what I was suppose to be listing for because it sounds more like a minor tick. ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-01-11          104001

I'm a little hard hearing so if you dropped a brick I probably wouldn't hear it. If you will watch the light you will be able to see it flicker and I mean its Quick!
Mine turns over several times before it starts, but like yous after it warm up,no problem.

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
kickapoobd

2005-01-11          104006

On my 2210 the glow plugs only kick on with the ignition key is turned to the start position. So mine used to turn over for a few seconds then start. Now (through this discussion board) I have found a way to run the glow plugs and then start the tractor. It typically barley has a chance to turn over and it begins running with noticeably less smoke.

The secret is to pull the pto switch (or leave it in gear) until you hear the click. Once you hear the click, push in the pto switch and away she goes. I am not sure if the 4410 is the same but it may be worth a try.

Troy ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-01-11          104017

Tried the way you described. Same outcome, still slow starting. would you remember what post you read the procedure in? ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
reason201

2005-01-11          104028

On my 4710 once you turn the key to the "on" position, you need to push the key in and hold it to pre-heat the glow plugs. After a few seconds, I turn the key an she kicks right up. Really makes a difference in the amount of smoke the engine puts out. ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
kickapoobd

2005-01-11          104029

Below is the link to a previous discussion of stating tactics.

Troy ....

Link:   Starting link

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
DennoAce

2005-01-29          105181

Kickapoo is 100% correct in using this trick, there is a glitch/flaw/whatever in that the glow plugs only come on in start position, which is not the best method.

My 4110, using the above trick, starts no problem even when 10-20 below zero, holding the start key in gear for about 2-3 seconds and then kicking it out of gear and cranking it over.

Which is why I have to disagree with beagle on 3 seconds not being enough glow plug time...if the engine is right and the plugs are not tired, under 10 seconds is plenty nowadays - got a kubota at work that fires no problem also with only 2-4 seconds glow time in similar weather.

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-01-29          105182

I talked to a John Deere Tech and he told me it was the nature of the Beast (4110) to be slow on first start up Period. I've tried all the Different suggestion and so far none worked. ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
DennoAce

2005-01-29          105189

Well jones you must be doing it wrong or there may be a small problem with the plug system in your beast? I have tested it several times before I was convinced, but cranking normally she will turn over say 3-5 seconds before starting, using the glow plugs properly (BEFORE cranking) via the stated method/trick (put it in gear, turn to "start" for 2-3 sec, take out of gear and "really" turn it over)....she barely even makes 2 revolutions and is running, no matter the weather.

I am curious why it is not working for you. One of these days when I have time I planned to change it around and add a time relay or manual switch to the glow plugs to make them work properly, but until then this "trick" works very well.

However just now while typing I thought maybe it is better to have her crank for a few seconds, thus building oil pressure before she fires, though this is obviously a little harder on the starter/battery. Hmmmmmm.... ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
DennoAce

2005-01-29          105190

ps That tech is certainly right, but the only reason that is her nature is because of the flawed glow plug system....when the plugs are tricked into pre-heating the chamber BEFORE cranking (as it usually is done), this beast starts so quickly/easily it's almost scary. And I have started many a diesel using many methods in many sizes in extreme weather here in Maine.

Our little Yanmars are sweet engines IMO. :) ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
jonesiera

2005-01-29          105191

OK, Lets see if the old man's got it right!
#1 Put the hydro in gear
#2 turn the key and hold in start pos, for App.10 sec.
#3 let go of key put hydro in N
#4 start the engine
Have I got it?? ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
kickapoobd

2005-01-30          105213

I would be very interest to see what studies have been done on cold starts and oil pressure. Obviously the wear and tear at start up is significant, but is forcing our engine to start in the first second better then letting them turn over and over and over for 4 or 5 second? I think we have a thesis topic! Are any of you working on a doctorate?

I enjoy the fact that my tractor will start in 1 second, even after setting an extended period and in any temperature. Wish my car was as reliable.

Troy ....

Glow plug click on 4110

View my Photos
DennoAce

2005-01-30          105216

jones, lol yes I know it is pretty simple, eh? well I must be blessed then since I do the same thing with mine and need only 2 sec of "pre-plug", and she fires up within 3 revolutions, even when well below zero.

kicka, yes I have often wondered the same. Years ago I had a mustang and I had to wire up a switch to turn on the in-tank fuel pump manually (no time or money to fix). I ran it like that and would crank her for a few seconds before hitting my switch and could see the oil pressure build before she started. Always seemed like a good idea, I almost kept it that way. Hard on starting system, easy on engines. Was always going to install a "pre-luber" but never did, and they cost $$$. Is this better than the oil pump going full speed ASAP by starting quick? I think so but agree we need a study. Get on that, would you? :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login