Go Bottom Go Bottom

4110 staling

View my Photos
Green MT Jim
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-24          99152

I have a 4110 and just started stalling a few days ago. My dealer told me to add a stabilizer and change the fuel filter. I did that and it isn't any better. If I let it run with the side panel off I can see that the resevoir (where the filter is) runs out of fuel. It appears that the fuel is not flowing from the tank fast enough to keep up with it. Any ideas?? Could there be a screen in the tank that is plugged? If so, can I resolve this on my own? Should I drain the tank? If so, what is the best way to do that.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4110 staling

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-24          99158

Did it suddenly get cold there at the same time the stalling problem emerged?

4110 staling

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-24          99159

I have been having a staling or cutting out problem with my BX 23 too.
Was using the Hoe and when I went to move the tractor it kept wanting to stal out no matter where I set the RPMs.

4110 staling

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-24          99162

Is the fuel valve shut part way off? ....

4110 staling

View my Photos
jedomon

2004-10-27          99361

I believe that the fuel reservoir should be full of gas all the time...it is a sealed system and the 4110 has an auto bleed feature (unlike earlier models) so that one does not have to bleed the fuel system after running out of fuel. If you recently ran it out of fuel and then refilled it I suppose its possible that the auto bleed system is not working correctly...bottom line is the reservoir should be full of fuel not air. ....

4110 staling

View my Photos
beagle

2004-10-27          99365

Make sure the fuel tank is venting properly. Try running it without the cap on and see if this improves the flow. If not, you have a fuel line blockage in the tank or the line.

If venting is the problem, replace the fuel cap, and try again. ....

4110 staling

View my Photos
reason201

2004-10-28          99426

It sounds like he might have a piece of debris in the tank floating around. If it runs for a while then quits and the reservoir is empty then refills after a bit it could be the debris is getting sucked down to cover the pick-up, then when the draw for fuel stops, the debris again floats and the reservoir refills.

Just a thought ....

4110 staling

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-28          99439

Drain and inspect the inside or the tank for any foreign material. If none is found; remove the hose from the tank to the fuel bowl and inspect it. Try blowing air thru it and if it intermittently stops up for no reason. The inside liner of the hose may be coming apart and intermittently blocking the hose filling the fuel bowl. Lastly, check and inspect the fuel cap. Ensure the little vent ball inside the cap rattles freely when you shake it. The cap vent may not be opening and a vaccum could build up and not allow fuel to the bowl. Just a few thoughts I figured to throw out there and check. You can never tell what is causing this without starting at the source and working your way back. Suspect anything. Good luck! ....

4110 staling

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-10-28          99444

Maybe the original poster could tell us what is going on......? ....

4110 staling

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-30          99517

Green MT Jim, can you bring us up to date as to where you are at with solving this problem?

4110 staling

View my Photos
Green MT Jim

2004-11-06          99939

I'm back with a status. Unfortunately, I also had computer problems after posting the question. I drained the tank, inspected inside the tank (found nothing), blew air through the fuel line and it didn't seem to have any obstructions... Next I took a long piece of 14 gauge wire and I was able to go into the fuel tank, poke it into the top of the fuel line (1/4") and move it around. I found what appeared to be some gelling. I put a rag on a piece of pipe and wiped it up. I replaced everything, filled with fresh fuel with the JD Fuel conditioner. It has been running perfect since. I have put about 6 hours on it since.
On a side note: The opening in the bottom of the tank is less than 1/4" in diameter. Any idea why it is so small? Seems like if it was a bigger opening, this problem would be significantly reduced.
Thanks for all the help - Jim

4110 staling

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-11-06          99944

Another fuel additive success story!

Glad to hear you are back up and running.

I wondered if the fuel might have thickened due to seasonal temperature changes.

In terms of the small fittings, that engine only burns about 1/2 gallon of fuel per hour running flat out. A 1/4 inch orifice would drain the tank by gravity in a few minutes so it provides plenty of flow to the fuel pump.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login