Go Bottom Go Bottom

Best tire for 2210 during winter months

View my Photos
kickapoobd
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-08          97950

I currently have turf tires on my tractor since it is used primarily for mowing. I plan on moving snow with my blade this winter.

I know the 4wd is going to play a big factor in traction, but I wonder if my tires will spin or should I order chains today, change tire configuration? Anyone with experience with just about every type of winter element, dry and wet snow, icy hills.

Suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-09          97953

The tire tread thing has been hashed and hashed with everyone having their reasons for a different tread design. Chains are by far the best traction aid yet invented, but they ride rough, can tear up fenders, scratch up blacktop drives, etc.,so plenty of pluses and plenty of negatives for chains. If winter traction were your only concern without chains then probably R-1 tires with plenty of wheel weights would provide the greatest pressure per sq. in. on the surface of the tread bar theoreticly giving you the best traction on ice, packed snow, etc.. but then there is the issue of R-1's tearing up turf in the summer, so I guess I don't have a solid answer for you, I've just raised more issues. Personally I don't push much snow with a compact so I still like my R-4"s for 99% of all other work. Now I've probably really stirred up an issue. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-09          97961

If you plan on using chains I think you have the best tire for that application (turfs) get your self 2 link spaced chains (v-bar type)...it depends on how steep things are for you. With good ballast you will find the 4wd and no chains work excellent by themselves. Its the incline thing and ice which can cause you to slide or spin...
Little tricks with chains regarding clearance with the wheel wells, is to air down then mount the chains. If you have to remove a link do it then. When you air up the chain gets tight, real tight and wont move at all...

Ducati ....

View my Photos
JDFANATIC

2004-10-09          97968

I've been wondering the same thing myself. My use is with a snowthrower though, but I have some slope to my driveway. Just had the tires loaded with molasses? That's what the dealer is recommending now. Said he got about 150 lbs in each. It will be interesting to trade notes during/after this winter.

Cheers

JDFANATIC
JD2210 ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-10-09          97969

Twenty plus years in Alaska taught me that chains are designed to pack down and compress the snow beneath the tire and then dig into the compressed snow to create traction.

If you are going to push snow, then you are running the tires on a cleared surface which defeats the purpose, and as Frank points out, makes chain gouges and scars on what ever you are driving over.

Given the tire choices on the 2210, I would go with the turfs. ....

View my Photos
Wildman1

2004-10-09          98001

I ran my R-1's last winter with chains on my 2210. I kept a speader full of traction aggregate on the 3ph and the 47" blower on the front. I have some 10% grades to plow but found that I didn't need the chains. I'll run without them this winter. ....

View my Photos
44trxfun

2004-10-09          98005

Check the Hot Subjects box to the right. There's a thread called "Turf or R4 tires for snow". ....

View my Photos
kickapoobd

2004-10-09          98009

Thank you everyone. I am going to try to run without chains at least the first couple of storms. I have a purchased couple of weights to counter the blade. I have a Toro snow-blower and a wench on the tractor if all else fails.
P ....

View my Photos
bkbrown

2004-10-25          99213

I have Dico Titan Tru-Power 6-ply Lugs on my 318 Deere they are great without chains and superb with them.

Here is the web page for them.

http://www.titanstore.com/store/TRU_PWR.html ....

View my Photos
bkbrown

2004-10-25          99224

I hope you mean you have a winch -- a bawdy wench could get very cold on the hood of a tractor in winter - especially if she is wearing the traditional low cut blouse of wenches !!!! ....

View my Photos
kickapoobd

2004-10-25          99264

I stand corrected. The wench is staying inside the house and the winch will be on the front of the tractor. ....

View my Photos
bkbrown

2004-10-26          99271

Just an attempt at humor. --

The tru-power tires really are good. They are nearly flat across the surface and don't tear up the lawn unless it is wet (muddy) and yet when you need traction they will dig.

I grew up using a SCUT in upstate NY just south of Buffalo in the snow belt -- Chains are the best solution if you spin and added weight is second best -- the combination is the real answer. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login