Go Bottom Go Bottom

Comparison seeking advise

View my Photos
cekramer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-19          96837

I am new to purchasing a TLB and am looking at JD, Ford-NH and Kubota. I think I need 30 HP, 8 foot backhoe depth and 1000 # loader. Have a disability which limits me to using right foot and leg. NO real left leg strength for clutching and/or braking. With this in mind, do any of you experienced folks have any suggestions, recommendations or look out for's.

Chuck

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-20          96866

Chuck, do you wish to only do TLB work? Do you have any other chores you might wish to do? ....

View my Photos
cekramer

2004-09-20          96879

Good Morning Art,
I do have a Kawasaki Mule and a tow behind trail cut mower which I might use with the tractor. But other than pulling some logs on a log skid, no I do not plan to till, etc.

Chuck ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-20          96882

Kubota's have the brakes and speed pedals on the same (right) side, but they are harder to use.

Deere has the brakes on the left side, but I am thinking it would be fairly simple to rig up a hand lever to the brake pedal so you could operate the brakes with your left hand. This would leave you right hand free to set the parking brake lock, etc.

The brakes on my 4115 do not require much pressure to engage. I can stand beside the tractor and easily press the brake pedal with my left hand and set the lock with the other hand. ....

View my Photos
cekramer

2004-09-21          96956

Are we speaking aout hyrostatic drive on all that your mentioned? Any experience with the other JD transmissions? Any advantages over ehydro?

Chuck ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-21          96960

Yes. All my references are to HST's.

I have never used an E-hydro. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-09-21          96966

I've got the hydro on my 4310 I bought 2 months ago. I also have a hydro on my JD325 lawn tractor. I love it. It's so easy to control. Easy to go forward, backward, adjust on the fly for conditions. I wouldn't want to go back to anything else. I don't use the brake (left foot) very much if at all. The 4310 is better at stopping on hills without using the brake.

I can't begin to describe how much better the hyrdo on the 4310 is compared to my old Oliver. On some snow days, my left leg would get fatigued from using the clutch so much to change fwd and bwd. I love it and won't go back. They can't make me go back!!! ....

View my Photos
dsg

2004-09-21          96986

cekramer, I am also limited/disabled on my left side. I chose the JD over Kubota for that reason. Both are very good Tractors in the quality area but for the JD Hydro the Turning brakes are on the Left (and not used much) and has an electric/magnetic pto (on my 4700) just a button that you pull out to engage the pto. The Kubota I tried out had the turning brakes on the same side as the Hydro pedals/right, and on the left had a clutch you had to push in with your left leg to engage the pto. Things may have changed with the Kubota's since I bought in july of 2000 but that's the physical reason I went with Deere.

David

View my Photos
cekramer

2004-09-21          96988

Thanks for the info. The braking on hillsides is another decision factor as I will be going up and down some steep trails as I trun them into fire roads. Am I correct in assuming the 4310 hydro does maintain a constant speed down hills? Without the need for braking. Is there a hand break for emergency use?

Chuck ....

View my Photos
cekramer

2004-09-21          96989

Hi David,

What has been your experience with the JD hydro in regards to maintaining a constant speed on steep inclines?

Chuck ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-21          96990

I "think" the 4310 maintains a constant speed going downhill. I've never specifically looked for it, but I've gone down lots of hills in my 4310 and have never noticed it speeding up, and letting up on the eHydro pedal causes it to stop without brakes. As far as handbrakes go, the answer is "kinda". There is a handbrake, but the brake pedals have to be pushed down to lock and unlock the handbrake and sometimes I have to push fairly hard. Once my dealer mentioned in passing that he had a new 4310 modified by a local welder for a handicapped customer to make it easier to drive, but I didn't ask what mods were made. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-09-21          97003

Although there are some different "tweeks" in the design of hydrostatic transmissions, they all behave the same way due to the mature of the fluid pressure. The fluid in a hydro is in a closed loop, so as the tractor goes down a hill, the speed of the drive is controlled by the pressure build up in the transmission. The hydraulic motor tries to work against the pump, controlling the forward speed. The tractor won't move when the pedal is released because the motor tries pump fluid against the pump.

The quickest way to damage a hydrostatic trans is to try to tow the tractor in gear. The pressure build up from the pumping motor could "blow up" the trans., unless the pressure relief saves it. ....

View my Photos
dsg

2004-09-25          97197

If you're in low range 4WD braking is good unless it is slippery, but even then if you have a loader you can lower it to the ground and control the descent. It's nice to have just ONE pedal on the right that will brake both rear wheels.

David ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-09-26          97223

Beagle, the hydro is not a closed loop as when the oil goes thru the hydro it then returns to the base to be reused. The hydro when being towed does NOT have the ability to use the pump as that is on the hydro end of the rearend meaning the problem is NO lubrication or flow from the pump which is run from the engine. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-09-26          97224

For people that have diffficulty with the left leg I've often seen people go to the GST type transmission as after the engine is started you can do all shifting as well engaging the PTO with out use of the left leg. Most all levers or foot petals on tractors have been modified at one time or another to overcome a difficulty for the owner. When modifiying most dealers do it in a way to bring it back to the original system with little work or cost if it might need to be made back to original for resale. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-09-26          97225

I have heard everyone say that the HST holds its position on a slope when the pedal is released so you don't need to use the brakes. My 4310 slowly creeps on the hills so I have to use the brakes - which really requires a hard kick to be able to pull out the parking knob. Maybe that's because I have been using it almost full time in B drive. I'll give it a try with A Drive. ....

View my Photos
cekramer

2004-10-08          97920

Hi David,

Thanks for your advise. I got a JD4310 with 420 and 48. Only a few days to work with the loader but a fine piece of equipment. Thanks for your help.

Noticed you are from Maine, my daughter in law is now in Bangor and my son in Salisbury. I do not miss the snow!

I saw a very interesting addition to your 48 bucket! Is that a JD accessory or a home invention?

Chuck ....

View my Photos
cekramer

2004-10-10          98028

Thanks for the insights. Yes, I bought a 4310 with 420 ands 48 backhoe. Have had a few hours of experience and yes, it is a fine machine. I appreciate your sharing thoughts and experience.

Chuck ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-10-11          98102

Enjoy your purchase! I love my 4310 I bought this fall/summer. Bring on the snow!! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login