Go Bottom Go Bottom

Block Heater installation Yanmar 3 cylinder

View my Photos
cthomp
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-14          96497

Has anyone installed a block heater into a 4300/4310.I am attempting to remove the threaded plug on the left side of the engine above the hydraulic pumps. It has a 1/2 inch square hole in a threaded plug. I have tried to break it loose with a breaker bar on the plug, but it won't budge. Has anyone installed the type of block heater? Any ideas as to how to remove this plug without cracking the block.
I need help !!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
mainiak1

2004-09-15          96498

I have done one on a 790 JD with a Yanmar engine. It sounds like the same thing. I used a pipe for an extension which brought it out to about five feet. It finally loosened. I now have breaker bar curved like a banana. A impact wrench with 800 ft pounds would not budge it.
Good luck. ....

View my Photos
KRAKY1

2004-09-17          96700

For the limitted time you might need a heater you might want to look at a magnetic oil pan heater. I think the flat part of the oil pan will work. I think these heaters have a big "plus" becaue they warm up the engine oil and the heat rises from there!! You could slap one on the bottom of the pan and hook up a timer that would come on about 3 hours before you had to use it to save elec. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-17          96712

cthomp, I installed the block heater on my 4410. (very similar engine & same location) You as well have discovered that Yanmar & Deere have a life time contract with Magilla Gorilla, who tightens these threaded plugs. :O) I used a thorsen 24 inch breaker bar and slipped a 4 ft. piece of pipe over the breaker bar. About the instant I thought the breaker bar square drive was going to snap off; the plug snapped loose. It might be of benefit to warm up the engine and let it cool to the point you can work with the coolant without being burned. The rubber hyd. oil manifold is a bit testy to remove but be persistant and gentle. I suggest having the block heater plug all ready to go with sealant on it (I used permatex #2 soft type) and QUICKLY replace the block heater plug in place of the threaded factory plug. Do not drain the coolant. Leave the radiator cap on to hold a vaccum and slow the coolant loss. I lost maybe less than a half pint of coolant this way. (not enough to notice when I checked the level. You will need a set of funky offset wrenches to tighten the plug down as it is in a really bad spot behind the hyd. pump. As much as I hate to use them, I finally had to use a big set of channel lock pliers. Be very gentle and careful as the plug is made of soft brass or bronze. The block heater works great and really aids the warm up time of the tractor. Good luck! ....

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-17          96713

What model/make are these block heaters?? any specs?

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-17          96718

bmlekki, I purchase mine from my buddy Ricky at the dealer. It was a JD part. Below is the kit. You are going to need items 4 & 7. The 4300/4310 does not need the adaptor. The adaptor kit retails for $45.90 part # AM882530 and the block heater $54.99 part # AR87167. The block heater I installed on my 4410 was 750 watt I believe and is the same one as on your 790 if I am not mistaken. The 790 block is not threaded for a block heater and you will have to remove a freeze plug and install the adaptor kit and then the block heater. ....

Link:   790 Block Heater Kits

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-17          96719

I am sure Ricky can beat those prices as well. ....

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-09-23          97110

Not to put down your idea, but IMO those heaters should only be used if you have to (i.e. an air-cooled diesel). These heaters tend to "cook" the oil, especially (obviously) the oil laying right around where the heater is placed. Much worse is those awful dipstick heaters, which have all the heat going to an even smaller surface area. These REALLY fry the oil. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-23          97119

DennoAce, you are incorrect about the block heater "cooking" the oil. Nothing could be further from the truth. The block heater is threaded in place of one of the coolant jacket plugs and heats the engine coolant. The block heater will heat the entire engine gradually and I doubt a 750 watt heating element can get the temperature of an entire diesel engine block much above typical engine operating temperature if that high. The oil remains in the oil pan and may be warmed indirectly by the heat tranfered from the engine block but not to a great degree and certainly not much hotter than warm to the touch. ....

View my Photos
shansen

2011-01-31          176650

I just use a hose heater in the lower hose. It works fine. That said, We get down in the teen here and that is when I use it. I'm cautious about messing with the block. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-01-31          176651

shansen, not that there's anything in the least wrong with doing so, but for your interest, you were responding to a seven-year-old thread, ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login