Go Bottom Go Bottom

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
mykeln
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-12          96274

(I also posted this on another tractor forum)

A local dealer brought out a 2210 yesterday for a test and demonstration at my residence. There is not a level space on the 3 acres, and many of the grades are easily 30-45 degrees; there is 1 acre of grass on large slopes.

The 2210 performed flawlessly crawling up and down (vertically) the worst 50-75 foot high grades, and it didnt even have any front or rear weights. R4 Industrial tread was used.

To get a feel in the seat as a novice tractor owner I also traversed the property and slopes and felt "confident" behind the wheel even though some of the slopes and turns provided an adrenaline rush and fair amount of pucker!

I was extremely impressed witht he 2210 (and the local dealer!), on Monday the Kubota dealer will be bringing out a BX2230 to test/demo and I will be making my purchase decision on Wednesday.

Both CUTs will be outfitted with a FEL, 64" MMM, Snow Blade, R4 tires, and weights. For the 2210 I will be getting an optional 3rd party Hoe and for the Kubota I may end up getting the BX23.

If anybody has any insight, help, suggestions or opinions they would like to offer I welcome them as this will be our first-ever tractor and a large purchase.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
mowhoward

2004-09-12          96277

I am very satisfied with my 2210. However it has a 2 piece frame and I would not but a backhoe on it. You would be better off renting one if your not going to use one frequently, IMO, because you will be limited to what you can do with one as opposed to a true compact tractor. If your really set on having a backhoe on a sub-compact, you would be better of with the Kubota BX 23.

If your engaging the "pucker factor" when working your property, then make sure whatever tractor you buy has wheel weights and ballast, and use your head when you are operating your machine. ....

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-12          96283

Remember that there's a world of difference in traction between wet and dry conditions. If you try going up those slopes when they are wet you could have a pants-soiling trip back to the bottom. ....

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
cherymax
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-12          96284

What exactly are you guys referring to a "2 piece" frame?

yeah... I know how to count past one. I guess your saying that the 2210 frame is bolted togother meaning the frame rail(s) is/are made of 2 or more pieces?

I just looked at the IPCs for the 2210,4110,4310,4510, and 790 on JD parts website. All of the frames appear to be constructed form multiple sections. What am I missing here?

If I remember correctly, my F-250 Superduty had a 2 piece frame rail. The front part where the engine mounted was bolted on the the aft portion. I might me wrong. ....

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
Art White

2004-09-13          96325

The BX23 has a backhoe frame that is built into the tractor and loader frame and is a four point hook-up. This is nearly the same hook-up that is used on the commercial machines and has proven to be rugged. The good part is it gives the tractor the same ground cleareance as a 30 plus horsepower compact tractor with a lower subframe. The hoe is mounted close to the rear of the tractor so it doesn't hit while going on and off trailers as much as the lower subframe units do. The unit can easily be removed and reinstall the three point hitch. ....

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-13          96334

Do you have a brand name or a web site for this "3rd party hoe"? I would like to take a look at it. ....

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
mykeln

2004-09-13          96336

When I get the quote from the local JD dealer I will post the 3rd Party Hoe Mfgr they are proposing.

Answer to some posts:

Yes, no "honey-do's" on 20+ degree slopes due to dew!

Will be getting 40# front weights and some new type of liquid in back R4 tires for the rear and a ballast box.

Question: would having the rear tires weighted with liquid provide a better or worse center of gravity when going up the steep slopes?

What is your collective opinion on keeping the FEL on or off during so as to give it more front-end weight when mowing?

Again, any ideas or insights much appreciated.

(hmmmmmm, the wife just added another few mill to my accidental life insurance... !!)

Thanks,

Mike

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
mykeln

2004-09-13          96359

Update:

Kubota dealer came out, saw the property and bowed out. Said that the BX series (or any other Kubota) would not be able to traverse the property and do it safely.

I respected their opinion and hold them in high regard.

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-09-13          96366

4 wheeler with a tow behind mower....????

Have any picture of your land? ....

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-09-13          96368

Just curious, did the 2210 have the FEL on? And, what was the degree of slope you were “transversing”? 20degree? ....

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-13          96369

If you want to do more than just cut grass or blow snow, then get a Steiner or similar.

If all you want to do is cut grass, a Ferris ProCut or similar will do fine.

I have a neighbour who's property straddles a stream, some of his land is nearly vertical, he cuts it easily with a Kubota F3560 with a 72" deck on it, and it has about a 50" blower on it that sails through the snow drifts and the 'present' the township plow leaves behind.

Best of luck. ....

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
mykeln

2004-09-13          96371

While traversing the property simulating a mow the FEL was taken off and only device attached was the MMM and no weights.

There is only a little bit of the property which is flat, and the rest of the 1 Acre is between 10-45 degree slopes.

There are some small parts which are so steep they will have to be hand mowed.

Mike

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
beagle

2004-09-13          96387

I have slopes on my property from a raised field that are between 30 and 45 degrees. I mow the lawn weekly with a 7800 and it does a fine job. Not sure what your Kubota dealer was reacting to. You do need space at the bottom of the slopes to safely turn the tractor. I have mowed close to a 30 degree angle on a side slope, just testing the pucker alarm. Pucker alarm works fine.

I always mow with the FEL off. The FEL will raise the center of gravity. Also, the added weight of the FEL on the front tires increases the damage to the lawn when turning.

I have Rim-Guard filled rear tires. Liquid in the rear tires lowers the center of gravity, since the center of gravity of the liquid is below the rear axle. Ballasted tires are only filled to the top of the rim so there is still an air pocket in the tire. ....

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
alan6271

2004-09-17          96708

Well my two cents are this. If the 2210 did fine mowing and the Kubota dealer didn't feel good about his machine running on your property. That pretty much narrows it right down. It really depends on how much you plan to use that back hoe. It might be cheaper to rent it instead of buy it.

My alliance is first and foremost with safety. Like I said, did you feel safe on the 2210? Did it handle predicatbly? If need be can you switch the rear tires to a wide stance position (I don't know if you can on that tractor but I would think so).

If you are thinking of a pull behind mower for your quad, I would consider the other tasks you will want the tractor to perform. You won't be able to put a front end loader, snow blower, PTO powered anything, or 3 point hitch anything on a quad. Why buy twice?

If it were me, I wouldn't hesitate at the 2210. John Deere quality is impeccable, it always really has been. ....

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-17          96728

Well my two cents are this. If the 2210 did fine mowing and the Kubota dealer didn't feel good about his machine running on your property. That pretty much narrows it down.
OR the John Deere's no safer than the Kubota but the JD dealer wanted to sell a tractor.

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-09-17          96732

I'm a Deere fan and would recommend the 2210 for a variety of reasons. However, my gut instinct doesn't give the 2210 any stability advantage on hills over the BX. Maybe more to this story. Maybe a dealer issue, too. Regardless, if stability is the problem and mowing is the primary chore, a Steiner, Ventrac or Power-trac sounds like an even better choice than a SCUT. You can get all kinds of great implements for those articulated tractors for most estate work. Pete ....

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
bkbrown

2004-10-24          99171

Have you looked at the Ventrac 4200? -- Ventrac.net --

Articulated and Ocelating - It handled the back side of my pond dam at 30+ degrees with their tough cut mower -- it did have the dual wheels, but showed no sign of tipping -- I'll be getting the 2nd demo Wed. so I can drive it on my property.

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
mykeln

2004-10-24          99177

Thanks for the replys and help!

I have not yet purchased a machine and want to give it some more thought before plunking down $12K+ ...

I will be looking into the Steiner, Ventrac or Power-trac as suggested.

The basic problem is that a tractor for me will be new and I have zero experience operating one. While this in and of itself is no big deal as I am very comfortable learning "OJT" the problem is really the danger of the property I have to work. There is literally minimal to no flat terrain "just to play" around and get used to using the tractor. My OJT (mowing using the fel, etc etc) will be working a property that will be very unforgiving.

So I am being cautious and safety is the paramount concern and I just dont want to be throwing $ at a problem until I am pretty certain that it will solve most of the problems.

Anyhow, I am still searching and researching.

I will post some of the property pics on my website shortly.

Re's

Mike

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
bkbrown

2004-10-24          99180

You can get a S-CUT for less$ than the Ventrac, but with or without the dual wheel kit the center of gravity is much lower on the Articulated tractors of the same size. Check out the web site and see if there is a dealer anywhere near you. They are more than willing to do a demo.

Once you see it work I think you'll see why I'm about 95% sold. ....

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
BrendonN

2004-10-24          99191

I am always curious when slopes of a certain grade are discussed, especially when that grade is the often-used 45 degree. Think of a 12 pitch roof on a house; this is also a 45 degree slope. However, a 12 pitch roof is so steep that it is very difficult to walk up without being on all fours. We have an overpass near work with steep grassy sides that we do some testing on. Many folks swear that it is 45 degrees but a long straight board and a digital protractor revealed a 20 degree reading. Seat-of-the-pants feel will tell you it's a lot steeper, though. ....

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
bkbrown

2004-10-24          99194

I don't claim to be an expert --- BUT I know what I wouldn't do with an SCUT.

What I saw the Ventrac with dual wheels do, I would not attempt with any sub-compact or compact tractor. It slid sideways a few times, but showed no sign of tipping. It also has a slope degree indicator as an accessory. ....

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
millers1

2004-11-03          99788

I found with a FEL on the 2210, you want to have a ballast box, with a good amount of weight in it... AND tire pressure is important. I've had mine in a few scary situations, so like anything else, ya' gotta be carful not to roll it over. ....

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
longspur

2004-11-04          99802

My first tractor I bought 17 years ago was under sized and under powered. I vowed to not make a bad decision this time, so I decided on the 790. Right now, I feel that I may have over-bought this time. But I am betting that over the course of the next 17 years, I'll not be sorry. An old farmer told me to buy as much hp as you can afford. Anyone else think that is good advice? ....

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-11-04          99804

longspur: I think by now I qualify as an old farmer going into my 44th year in business. Whom ever the old farmer was that gave you the buy to as much horspower as you can aford advice was surely right. For the first 25 yrs. in farming we had tractors that were barely big enough to do the job, but we got by and got the job done. Farming is fun now since we have tractors that have enough power to pull whatever you hook up to without clutching, shifting, overheating, etc.. Most all other farm impliments have been vastly improved over the past ten to fifteen years too. Tillage equipment for example now has lots more trash clearance so that you're not pluged up much anymore, the trash just flows right on thru. Enough yammer from me for now. Frank. ....

Very Impressed w 2210

View my Photos
longspur

2004-11-04          99808

Right on hardwood! Brings back memories. One of my first jobs at about 18yo was driving a semi. It was not the "professional" job that it is today. I got my rig stuck in mud up to the axels one day. A farmer came out with an old Ford tractor. I wish I could tell you what model it was, but I don't recall. Just remember that it was big for it's day, had a huge flywheel on the side that the farmer turned by hand to get it started. It was a "one-lunger" he called it, but it pulled that truck out slicker-than-snot. Guess we are "professional" farmers now-a-days, eh? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login