Go Bottom Go Bottom

Extremely disappointed in Deere

View my Photos
DennoAce
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-31          95121

My new 4110gear with 23.9 hours has leaks in BOTH rear axle casings. Bolts are tight. Yeah I can easily rip apart and re-seal, but why should I have to? My recently sold Satoh (Mitsubishi) Beaver with over 1500 hours had only one small leak in a rear X and that is expected since the machine was 20+ years old! Did I mention I haven't even done her first oil change yet? I have been around heavy equipment all my life and am currently a mechanic on similar machinery...this is not typical.

It seems from everything Ive seen that JD is going down, and Kubota is the king of compacts, others are coming up fast. I recently got a catalog in the mail for JD merchandise...tools,gloves, etc.....I think Deere should get back to it's roots and concentrate on making sure their machinery is built right (yes of course the small stuff has to be made overseas to compete I know), not in licensing the Deere name to forks, mugs and toys - or they will be history before we know it.

Maybe I'll trade it in now for a new Kubota...I bet she won't leak before it's even broken in!!!!!!

ps I love my tractor overall so far, but what can I expect in a couple thousand hours if this is where I am at already?

:(

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-31          95122

Well it's new and its better to get the minor bugs out of the way while it still under warrantee.

If you traded to Kubota what says that will be any different? I'm not bashing Kubota at all but it’s just a fluke thing, happens to the best of them...

The seal could be missing torn etc. The bolts haven’t been over tightened have they??

Call your dealer.
Good Luck ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-31          95126

That's a bummer. It happens to all brands from time to time though. Yes, it's a hassle, but are a couple of leaks that should be fixed under warranty really such a big deal? Every 4-wheeled motorized product I've ever bought had to have something fixed under warranty. Even our Toyota was a troubled garage queen.

I have a different take on the toys/mugs/branded gear. I think it's a GREAT marketing concept for any company to establish brand loyalty at a young age. It's not like JD develops the toys, they just license the name and approve the end products. I would guess that their branded merchandise has zero effect on the quality (or absence thereof) of their tractors. ....

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-08-31          95129

It's gut wrenching, but give your dealer a chance to make it right. Kubotas, New Hollands, and Satohs leak, too. Any more I think it's more important how a company takes care of its product versus whether it's perfect at the time of delivery. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-31          95132

The first question is, did you even contact your dealer? ....

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-08-31          95144

Well, thanks all for the words. I know it's not the end of the world but it is the point and I had to vent. I have no problem with JD using it's name to market items to help the bottom line, but you must see my point that it all started with (well-built) tractors, and it seems sad to me that this good name is being over-used on all kinds of junk as have many other good names and it will all come to a bad end, trust me. In my area (Maine), all I hear is ads for Kubota, Kioti and NH and Deere seems to be losing the battle. I don't want this to happen. JD needs to wake up or it will be too late...I know of what I speak.

Being involved mechanically in many different machines from forklifts to golf course machines up to everything including excavators way bigger than Deere even makes, I have a small clue what is to be expected and yes... I know **it happens and that is fine but it just isn't right.

No I haven't called my dealer yet and....again....they didn't MAKE the machine and even if they fixed it (which I am perfectly capable of doing, and probably with less hassles overall and about $4 worth of permatex)...the point once again is that I shouldn't have to go through the BS after spending $12k on a tractor that I thought was more money spent on a better-built machine?

Just to make things more positive, I still love my 4110 in every other way...just not as happy as I once was and again, I am leary of what the next 1000 hours will bring, based on the first (!!!) 25!!! ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-31          95148

I will tell you this. No matter how good you are with a wrench if you do a repair like that you will VOID your warranty. The only thing you should touch with a wrench are loose bolts and the oil drain plug on your engine. I am sure your dealer will be more than happy to do the repairs at the most convenient time to you. But of course you do not know that since you have not even contacted them. I mean s--t happens. Call them tell them what is going on and I am 99.9% sure they will make it right in the best and professional way possible. Yeah it is not the dealers fault but there is a saying that most go by."WE service what we sell" ....

View my Photos
StoneGate

2004-08-31          95157

I can't figure out why you haven't called your dealer. My JD dealer would have been out within the hour to pick it up and fix it on my schedule. The service I have received has been excellent. I have a 4410 with about 45 hrs and I mean tough hours bush hoggin', ripping out tree roots, chipping and shredding, box bladin' and so forth. Not a flaw I can see. When I call in a couple weeks for the 50 hr service I'll bet their first question will be: When will it be convenient for us to pick it up? I am amazed at the Deere bashers on this board. I have had three deeres now and never had a problem that wasn't addresses the way it should have been. It's not a perfect world. If I live long enough to log 1500 hrs on this Deere, I'll bet it'll be running like the day I bought it. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-08-31          95163

Well.........you had your chance to blow off some steam and get your frustrations out............feel better? Better to do that here then at your dealer. Call you dealer tomorrow and explain what your issues are. Make a list of any other problems or peeves and let them fix it all at once. Nothing is perfect not even a Deere. I have had to fix a few things but worked it out with the dealer and they supported me like I was family. At least give them the opportunity to make it right. ....

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-08-31          95188

Why would you spend $12K+ on a tractor and NOT insist they make it right? Don't hurt your own cause. Regards. Pete ....

View my Photos
TNCHRIS

2004-08-31          95194

maybe you and petushead should trade tractors. he hate his dads kubota. they all have problems sometimes, those gaskets were probally bought from an outside supplier that is now outsoursing to china. that's what warrenties are for,their mistakes. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-31          95208

Am I the only one here who thinks its strange that BOTH rear axles are leaking on this machine? I wonder if something else could cause this besides defective seals. Like maybe it was dropped too hard during shipment or something. Don't mean to worry you DennoAce, I am just hypothesizing here. ....

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-09-01          95242

My first instincts would point me toward assembly problems, probably primary assemby. I don't know this for sure, but I think most of these Yanmar are crated and shipped without wheels, etc. Since its not a leak from a pressurized system, the leak probably didn't show up during secondary assembly in the states, or final assembly at the dealer. Since it's so new, it is reasonable to insist on a new machine, especially since Dennoace is worried about future problems. I know Deere will extend a warranty on a specific machine component to help customer satisfaction. I would insist on that as a minimum once its fixed. ....

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-09-01          95280

Yes very strange and very rare indeed....the 4010 thru 4115
have been rock solid since their inception...its rare to even hear of a failure like that...

Dennoace
When will you update us on what the dealer response/outcome turns out to be?

Duc ....

View my Photos
Cteam1

2004-09-02          95341

bigpete,

I am also in Delaware (Middletown). Great looking pictures. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-02          95357

Ken, no you are not the only one who thought that. I wonder if it got dropped while not yet on its wheels. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-02          95358

Ken, no you are not the only one who thought that. I wonder if it got dropped while not yet on its wheels. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-02          95360

I doubt it would have been dropped without the cushioning of tires since they normally ship them fixed to a wooden skid, resting on the hubs.

A more likely scenario would be some rocket-scientist transport truck driver getting a little over anxious with a chain-binder connected to the drawbar. Bumpy roads and an overly tight binder to the centerline of the axle would put some pretty severe stress into that rear end. I have seen new units being unloaded that were chained down like they were 50 ton dozers.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-09-02          95362

...or the rear end was assembled and sealed on Friday afternoon at the Yanmar plant. They have Happy Hour in Japan, too. <8~]

Hey, CTeam1--good to hear from another Delmarvan/Delmarviac/Delawarean. Stay off Route 1 this weekend, unless you like being part of a 100-mile-long paralized snake of sheet metal trying to carry tourists to the beach! I'm dumb enough to have a Dr.'s appointment in Lewes tomorrow afternoon. BTW, I'm out in the swamps of Sussex County. Pete ....

View my Photos
Cteam1

2004-09-02          95369

bigpete!

I won't be on Rt 1 this weekend, that's for sure! I will be down on the ELk River with the family. I like the Bay much better than the beach.

Craig ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-02          95372

I'm liking Murfs theory. My guess is that it would have leaked from the first hour if assembly problems were to blame. If it didn't start leaking until the 15-20 hour mark maybe something was damaged. It's all conjecture of course and I know not what I'm saying. Hopefully DennoAce will report back on how his dealer handles it and what they find wrong. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-09-02          95403

I have allot of axle seals fail an SSL due to twine wire ect. getting wrapped around the shaft. Have not seen to many tractors with that problem though, but have seen it. Not saying that is what happened.

Just call the dealer and get it fixed and you will have a trouble free tractor for years to come. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-09-02          95416

I hope His dealer doesnt contact Bob MILLS! ....

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-09-03          95519

Well let me just first say I have pretty much calmed down about the whole deal. I tend to be very passionate and go off on things and I just discovered the leaks the day I decided to vent here.

I'm sorry (since it seems to be such a hot-button for some) but I still haven't contacted my dealer however I plan to do so soon. I am pretty much a do-it-yourself type and avoid people, but yes it should be fixed under warranty and I'm sure I will be taken care of. I also wanted to work her a few more hours to see if any other bugs are present.

Being quite mechanically inclined, I also thought it was odd that BOTH sides would be leaking, although the left side is much wetter, the other has a hint of oil and that is still a leak IMO. The thing that now enters the picture when I think about it is that a while back I noticed that both rear wheels seem to lean inwards slightly on the top, as if they were carrying an overload. I even went so far as to measure (roughly) the width top and bottom and it seemed to me to be close enough. I will have to get out there and measure this again more closely. At the time, I thought it was just me being picky but now with these small leaks I'm beginning to wonder...

Anyway thanks all for the thoughtful responses I am going out right this second to check her out and will try and update all who care sooner this time (I am a busy man and also trying to make a baby) :)

ps Don't get me wrong.. I love my little Deere and everything about her so far - she was perfect, maybe that's why this flaw bugs me so....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-03          95523

Since there is no camber adjustment I would assume that both rear wheels and tires should be darned close to plumb. If that assumption is correct a long level or a plumb bob may be easier than measuring top and bottom inside the tires. I sure hope the axles or housings aren't bent, or something else equally serious. Good luck in sorting this out, and thanks for keeping us curious folks posted. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2004-09-03          95525

If the axles are bent you will notice a wobble when you are moving. But I do not think that is the case. Some times you can not come up with an answer no matter how you you try. I run into situations like that every day. It is quicker and easier to just fix it than to try to figure out why it happened. To the corporate warranty people every minute counts on a repair so they just want it fixed if you can provide the cause that is a plus but... ....

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-09-03          95543

Hey, Denno. I'll be out early tomorrow aerating with my 4110 and will do a "plumb" check, etc., and let you know. I know my HST has a different rear end than your GST, but I'll let you know what I see for a comparison. I can't imagine one would be intentionally cambered anyway. Pete

Edit addition: I know you know this, but oil leaks have a way of following seams and seals away from the actual leak. Sometimes it seems they even seep uphill. Maybe it's just a sympathy drip on one of the axles...maybe??? ....

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-09-08          95930

thanks bigpete and all...

well i just got off phone with dealer and they will pick it up sometime next week. this is what I expected since it is new, but I was/am still miffed that anything is wrong with my baby!

some might find it interesting that he said they had one other with the same problem, so I am wondering if a run of them were mis-cast or there was a sealant problem.

funny cause i went out and tried to see if the axles were tweaked again but they almost seem straighter now. Yes if they were bent there would be a wobble and the first thing I did previously was jack her up and run it slowly...seem to be straight as an arrow.

well we will see.

I would be extremely curious to know if any other 4110gear owners have the same issue....

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-09-08          95971

Denno, I used my 4' carpenter's level and my rears were dead plumb, even though I noticed an attaching pin on my mower deck suspension has worn a nice little groove on the inside sidewall of my left rear tire (*$&%&%&^!*). Not much help, but I'm glad to hear you are puting the problem back in your dealer's hands where it belongs. Good luck... ....

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-09-09          96050

Well, pete thanks...and at least you noticed the groove before it wore through and ruined the tire. You could almost say it's thanks to me, since my whining prompted you to be there and see it! :)

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-09-23          97106

Update if anyone is still interested...

Tractor was taken by dealer, "fixed" and delivered in a week with no questions. Nice. I immediately got on knees and felt underneath, only to look at my hand with some oil residue and small bits of grease on both sides. Thought is was leftover from the fix and felt it odd that it would not be perfectly clean. If you fix a leak you clean it after REALLY well, (usually brake cleaner and/or shop air works good for me) to make sure everything is dry from the past to test the repair. But, maybe that's just me.

I backed it in the garage and parked it using it zero hours. A few days later I feel underneath..both sides still leaking. Not so nice.

Obviously I will call dealer again but I don't like people playing with my stuff after I own it. I am dying to take it apart and look at it myself but I know - warranty issues.

View my Photos
oneace

2004-09-23          97108

Believe me splitting a tractor is not very fun.(when you do it every day). But it is not that hard. When your warranty is up have a ball. But I would not be very happy that they did not fix it right the first time. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-23          97112

I'm still interested. That sucks. Maybe it's time to mention that it may have been damaged on delivery and that the repair should consist of a new tractor. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-23          97117

DennoAce, my advice would be to very politely and factually write a letter of exactly what your experience with this tractor has been to the dealership owner and general manager. Be sure and send it registered mail. In this letter express your disatisfaction with the sloppy and more than likely (in my opinion) fraudulent repair. State that you want a new replacement tractor or a loaner tractor of the same or higher model class while your tractor is being repaired and if this repair is not completely successful; you want a new machine. Ask for and require a written reply with the dealers promised course of action to remedy this situation. Give them 10 working days to reply. Also send a courtesy copy of this letter to John Deere customer assistance via registered letter mail and request that they monitor this situation. So on the letter sent to your dealer that you have sent a courtesy copy to John Deere customer assistance. Be REAL nice, professional, and courteous about this. The dealer will most likely poo poo your requests and down play this incident but now you have it in writing. The ball will be in their court and hopefully they will do the right thing. Bottom line is that it is next to impossible to make them do much of anything unless they choose to. Hopefully Deere customer assistance will make a call to your dealer and give them a nudge. Somebody should be fired or at least reprimanded for the repair on your tractor starting with the shop foreman. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-09-24          97135

Dennoace - I've been exactly were you are & have done what cheif is advising. It basically got me a meeting with Bob Mills (Rep from Deere Corp.) & my dealer. I truely hope deere does better by you then they did me!! If not, You'll probably end up trading in for Kubota like I did, & I might add that I am now very happy I did. Ya never know, Ya might think the grass is Oranger on the other side, I did. ....

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-09-25          97187

Yup. I used the diplomatic and persistant method, put everything in writing at the right stages, and ended up a satisfied Deere customer. Maybe some have not, but all it took was a little patience and a little more time. It doesn't matter whether it's JD or the one with the punkin' colored paint.

Orange is one of my favorite fall colors, but I like green year round <;~} ....

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-09-25          97202

well thanks all for the tips. I am actually shocked at the tone at how serious YOU GUYS think this is now! lol At first I was all like the end of the world had arrived and then calmed down. Now I just think they deserve another shot at fixing her right and thought it was just a pain and that's all...

I never thought I should get a new machine or write any letters. At least not yet. I figure anyone can make a mistake once, and am quite calm about the issue now. But trust me, if she comes back again STILL leaking, the S*#T will fly!

Being a mechanic I have no problem ripping her apart in fact am dying to do so to see what it going on (plus she never has to leave my yard being used/abused by who knows who), but as we all know..this may be a bad idea if this comes to bigger problems with the dealer/Deere later and becomes an even bigger warranty issue.

Anyway you got me thinking...

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-10-02          97536

Well dealer returned her again on friday and I haven't moved it. I brake-kleened and wiped dry the underside (had some "grease" type residue left for some reason this time as well...) and now that I know it is totally dry, will check periodically for leaks.

Looking back now I feel a little bad using the title "extremely disappointed in Deere", because I really am happy with the machine overall. Only little gripe might be the loader power, which seems a little under what it could be. But then again I have run big stuff for years, so I may expect too much.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login