Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 2210 gear noise

View my Photos
Andy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-21          94075

I just bought a 2210 and its a great tractor, but it has excessive geartrain noise when in four wheel drive at high speed. If I go slow, its not so bad, but when I speed up it gets pretty noisy. It is only in four wheel drive. Has anyone heard of this or know what the problem is.
Thank you

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 2210 gear noise

View my Photos
TomG

2004-08-22          94088

Gear noise likely is from very high ratios used to drive the front wheels--usually from a differential ring gear. It's best to stay in 2wd at high speeds and particularly with heavy front loads and on high traction surfaces unless 4wd is actually needed, Wear and damage can result. ....

JD 2210 gear noise

View my Photos
JDFANATIC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-22          94093

Mine barks pretty well when I head up my paved driveway and have forgotten to shift out of 4WD. It's a good reminder for me.

JD 2210 gear noise

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-22          94098

I agree. High speed and 4wd don't mix well. ....

JD 2210 gear noise

View my Photos
Art White

2004-08-22          94134

Not that I advise running in four wheel drive if you don't need to but you can adjust the wind-up between front and rear with adjustments to the air pressure. ....

JD 2210 gear noise

View my Photos
andy2210

2004-08-23          94259

I still can't see how that would hurt. I traded in a x595 on this 2210 and you couldn't tell when it was in 4wd. Not a single ounce of extra noise. My dad has a 955 and it doesn't make a sound either. If my new pickup did that in 4wd I would be very upset. I understand that they will have a little gear whine, but it shouldn't be all that you hear. Do any of you have R-4's? I wonder if Carlisle blew it on the tire diameters and John Deere doesn't know about it yet. It makes hardly any noise in 2wd and the complete drvie train is spinning even though it is not locked together. Maybe it wouldn't take much to throw it off. I'm going to bring it back to the dealer-they thought it was kind of odd too. Thanks guys. ....

JD 2210 gear noise

View my Photos
TomG

2004-08-24          94277

I think that if it's a front axle lead issue then the gear noise should decrease during turns. ....

JD 2210 gear noise

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-08-24          94279

Andy, Art is right, you can adjust the lead percentage by using tire pressures. I'm not saying that your tractor might not have a defect causing excessive noise. I don't know what the lead ratio percentage is on JD compacts, but I think it's arouind 2 - 4% on front wheel assist axles of most farm tractors. This is a necessary feature otherwise you'd have a hard time driving your tractor in a straight line while in 4 wh. dr.. Remember your pickup has the cab quite well isolated from the chassis to keep it quiet inside. Frank. ....

JD 2210 gear noise

View my Photos
andy2210

2004-08-24          94283

I've also wondered if there might be a problem with the shifting mechanism for the 4wd. If it where out of adjustment and was sliding the engagement gear too far or not far enough causing a misalignment with the corresponding gear or worse, rubbing against something else, I could see this noise. I hate to whine, but I can feel it in the pedals and steering wheel when it starts growling, and to me that is so unlike of John Deere stuff. The reason I'm asking you guys is that the dealer in my area has only sold two of these and when I told them about the noise, they said that they have never heard of this before-go figure. So they havn't been much help. There is another dealer in the area that is an AG dealer that actual works on tractors. I'll try them. Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted. ....

JD 2210 gear noise

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-08-24          94292

I will ask a dumb question. Have you verified that the front and rear tire sizes on your tractor are correct and a matched set as called for in the manual? I have heard of dealers swapping tires around and messing them up so the front and rears are no longer matched correctly. This could really throw the lead ratio out of whack. ....

JD 2210 gear noise

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-24          94295

Andy... what sort of surface are you driving on when you hear the noise? Hard or soft? ....

JD 2210 gear noise

View my Photos
jd2210

2004-08-24          94304

My former X585 had NO noise plus you could shift it to 4WD running flat out. My 2210 as well as four others that I'm very familiar with make the low grind/wind you are mentioning. ....

JD 2210 gear noise

View my Photos
andy2210

2004-08-24          94317

So far, it hasn't mattered. I've tried it on both and it still makes a lot of noise, but it has never shifted hard in or out of 4wd (even under power) which leads me to believe that it is not a ratio problem. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login