Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ideas Opinions on JD compacts

View my Photos
rparch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-20          93925

Hi Folks,
I am thinking of a new tractor. I have 80 acres (50 woods/30CRP) and a half mile long driveway in west central Wisconsin. Currently using a 2wd 2440 with a 7' FarmKing rear mount blower for snow but the rear mount mower screws up my neck and my wife doesn't like to use it. The clutch and tranny on the 2440 are starting to get hinky. Looking at a 2210 with the front mount blower. Also like the smaller 4wd tractor for clipping CRP weeds and getting firewood out of the coulee. Any comments?

thanks
rich palmer
pepin

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-20          93927

Rich, the 2210 is a great machine but it is more along the lines of a subcompact tractor. You can get by and get most jobs done but I think you will be at the limits of the 2210. I currently use a Deere 4410 for doing pretty much what you mention with the exception of snow blowing which I am sure the 4410 can do easily. I am not saying you NEED a 4410 but you may want to consider the 4110 or 4115 if you can afford the extra cost of the 4115. For the size acreage you mention; my suggestion would be for the 4310 or 4410 which offer you a wide range of task capability and the pto hp for just about any job that comes to mind. With the eHydro transmission; your wife can EASILY operate any of these tractors. I think you will love the 72" MMM on a 4310 or 4410 which will give you a very productive finish mowing capability and they are built like tanks (7 gauge steel forged deck). The 430 FEL will also be a big plus for your use on your 80 acres. If your budget does not accomodate the 4000 Ten Series machines. Take a look at the 90 Series compact tractors. The 790 and 990 are very basic but pretty much bullet proof machines. The wife may not be to comfortable on these though; but with some coaching and training, I think she would quickly be at ease on these as well. Can you get by with the 2210? Sure. Bear in mind that for the price of the 2210; you are nearly at the cost of a 4110. The 2210 is a good capable machine but the 4000 Ten Series are that much more capable for not a lot more money. ....

View my Photos
rparch

2004-08-20          93931

Chief,
Thanks for the info. I am thinking along the same lines, that the 2210 may not be quite enough tractor. My local dealer tells me that the 4000 twenty series is likely to be the most long term line. the 4000 ten's will be phased out, kind of like they do with the ag tractor lines, 20, 30, 40 50, etc.

I have thought of the 90 series but i really like an independent PTO.

I will price out a 4110 or 4115.

Coming from a long line of farmers that only see green when talking about tractors I still have to ask what people think of NH stuff. Seems like a comparable line of compacts. What do you think?

thanks again,
rich palmer ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-20          93932

New Holland makes a good machine as well but my preference for an alternate choice would be for Kubota. I have owned both and Kubota makes a good machine that will not disappoint you. The L3130 through L4330 comes to mind with respect to the machine you are interested in. The John Deere 4000 Twenty Series tractors are very nice machines but very large for a compact tractor. You salesman may not have the correct info. on the 4000 Ten Series tractors. At least for 2004, the 4010, 4110, 4115, 4210, 4310 and 4410 models will still remain in production, while the 4510, 4610 and 4710 have been discontinued and replaced by the 4000 Twenty series.

Over all, I would strongly recommend that you demo ALL of the brands and models you think you may have an interest in and make an informed choice based on YOUR first hand impressions and observations. Whether it be Green, Blue, Orange or whatever color, you must be satified with it. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-08-20          93940

I also looked at the 2210 tractor and dismissed it as a pumped up garden tractor. I'd say you need to start with a list of "must do" capabilities for the tractor and then "nice to do" capabilities. I'm in Iowa and don't use a blower due to gigantic stones used on the driveway. Critical things for me were hydrostat for the wife, 4 wd for clearing snow, running a big mower deck (72" belly), a loader that put stuff into the back of my F250, enough mass to bust through 4 to 5 foot snow drifts and new enough that I shouldn't have to worry about reliability.

As far as manufacturers go, from what I've seen the top dogs are Deere and Kubota. I think both make pretty good tractors. Take a look at both. See what fits you best. Which one's controls fit your body best. If you are going to spend the money, take the time for research. Other questions to consider are terrain based questions like any hills? Takes more power to go uphill while working. Also consider what would really upset you if it didn't perform that function well.

FYI - my new JD 4310 is supposed to be delivered today. Yeah!! ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-08-20          93941

rich, you mentioned the JD 90 series, which must mean you would consider going with a non hydrostatic machine. This is not something I would even consider. You want to blow snow and let your wife use it. My wife loves the hydro as I suspect yours would. I don't think gear is nearly as good for blowing snow (or anything else for that matter) since the speed is critical due to varying depths as well as the proper RPM. This is almost infinite with a hydro. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-08-20          93945

Hey neighbor, I'm just six miles downriver from you.

I've found my 30+ HP tractor is just about right for 90 acres. I suppose that would mean a 43xx or 44xx in the JD line. If you do consider Kubota, I've always been treated well when I go to the dealer in Menomonie. I don't know how their tractor prices compare though.
Dave ....

View my Photos
rparch

2004-08-20          93949

Hey Shortmagmum,
Thanks for the good info. I checked out your pictures. Is that a special log grapple on your loader? How is the Kubota on hills. You probably have the same sort of terrrain I do.
9% -15% ?

rich palmer ....

View my Photos
Toller

2004-08-20          93955

Mr. Rparch-

I just want to comment on how nice a person you must be to buy your wife a new tractor. I bought mine a used JD 970 and a Trail Gator to go with it. She prefers the Gator so I usually only get to use the 970.

View my Photos
rparch

2004-08-20          93959

Toller,
My ulterior motive is that then she can help plow the driveway on cold winter mornings while I get ready for work. :-)

rparch ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-08-20          93962

"How is the Kubota on hills. You probably have the same sort of terrrain I do."

I keep my tractor up north. There it is almost flat so I can't compare to this terrain.

I built the grapple last winter. I think I talked about it in a thread called "logging update" if you're interested.

Dave ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-08-21          94010

We have a couple pole buildings in the final stage of construction. I've been doing all the dirt work myself with the 4410, 430 loader, and the Land Pride box scraper. I kind of calculated whether I wanted to tackle that size job myself or hire it done. In total I'll have moved the equivalant of about twenty tandems of dirt, crushed rock and fill lime when I'm done. I've got a couple short days left to finish up, but my point is what a pleasure it's been doing all that with a tractor so capable of the job and so easy to operate. Kinda neat how with a full bucket of dirt or rock only one finger is needed on the spoke of the wheel to steer it. I've demoed hydros, but still won't give up the 12/12 reversers, but that's everyones choice, so buy what you like. So I agree, with 80 acres you'll be wanting to do heavyier jobs than you may think, so my vote goes for the 43 or 4410. Best of luck, Frank. ....

View my Photos
tnttommy

2004-08-25          94409

rparch, shortmagnum. Hello from another cheesehead. I am in S Eau Claire Co. I am looking at purchasing my 1st CUT as we are finally getting some land (not nearly what you have but my own little 10 acre slice of heaven. Anyway, it was good to hear about the Kubota dealer in Menomonie, I am looking there at my Kubota's. Do either of you have any experience or heard of anything re: Kohel Power Equip? They are the Deere dealer near me. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-08-25          94412

tnt, Hello from Buffalo county. I have no experience with Kohel but I see they have four locations in the Eau Claire area. There are also JD dealers with CUTs in Mondovi and Durand (actually Arkansaw).

Have fun shopping,
Dave ....

View my Photos
rparch

2004-09-01          95287

Shortmagnum,
Where did you get your Kubota? I know where O&R is in Menomonie but you mentioned you did not buy there. Do you know anything about the dealer in Hastings or is there one in LaCrosse? Going to the MN state fair on friday to look at machines. Figure it would be a good place to take my wife for the initial look at orange and green and maybe blue.

Last time I did something like this was to look at pug utility atv's. we looked at the articulated one and asked the price and she commented that the price wasn't that bad !! I thought YES!!. never bought one, found something else to spend money on and now that pug is no more it is probably just as well. Maybe I'll get lucky again and get the same reaction on a new tractor. One can only hope.

thanks ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-01          95288

rparch,
I bought mine from Lulich Implement in Mason WI (near Ashland). It was about 40 miles from my farm in Hayward and they beat the dealer in Stone Lake (which is about 15 miles away) by quite a bit. He also beat the best internet price I could find.

I haven't visited the dealer in Hastings. The one nearest to Lacrosse is Chain Drive in Dresbach MN. I checked on a Kubota there but wasn't too impressed with the knowledge of the guy. I don't think he was the regular salesman so I might feel differently if I looked again.

I wanted to take my family to the MN state fair tonight (I'm away this weekend) but I waited too long and my daughter started school today. So we would get home way too late for a 9 YO on a school night.

Have fun looking.
Dave ....

View my Photos
rparch

2004-09-02          95395

Hi Dave,
I happened to stop at the Kubota dealer in Hastings becasue I had to drive right by it cause of a road detour.

They have an L2900 GST with LA480 loader, mid pto, said it was a 99 year model with 517 hours. Asking 14,500. I did not have time to do any evaluation at all except look at it and start it. Seemed to be nice and clean, no dings or dents, nice and clean under the fenders, probably power washed,. said they had gotten it ready for some guy who didn't come back to talk anymore.

any comments on the unit or price?

Thanks,

rich

going up north for the long weekend? keep cool! ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-09-03          95443

rparch, FYI I got my L3130DT with 723 loader for $1600 more than that new. That was almost a year ago so I wouldn't expect to get that price now. I suppose I would have had to add 1K or 1.5K to that for the GST plus a bit more for the mid PTO. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login