Go Bottom Go Bottom

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
paluvsjoshua
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-21          91564

Have a 5 gallon fuel tank used for filling tractor. What quantity do you recommend? The (1st) recommended additive is 32 ounces to each 100 gal of fuel then also (2nd) recommends 32 ounces to each 50 gal if you wish for faster injectors clean-up and maximum cetane boost. I have a new tractor. If my math is correct for a 5 gal can would be 1.6 ounces to achieve the (1st) recommendation and 3.2 ounces for the (2nd) recommendation. Does this make sense? The product brand is Power Service sold by Wal-Mart.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-21          91566

I mix about 2 ounces of Power Service in every can as soon as I puchase the fuel. It also helps stabilize the fuel in the can if it doesn't get used immediately. For a new tractor, the higher mix ratio isn't necessary. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
paluvsjoshua

2004-07-21          91568

Thanks for the confirmation Beagle. Was loking to round it off and thought 2 ounces would be sufficient. I add gas additives to all my storage containers for snowblower, chainsaw, etc. I think it really helps my equipment starts right up after long durations. So I'll be adding PS to the yellow can now. Thanks. Pa. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-21          91575

Power Service is the most readily available and cheapest. I use it in my Cummins and Deere. I also have used with very good results the Deere Summer Formula fuel additive. Standayne also makes a very good performance formula that claims the same. Incidentally, Stanadyne used to make the Deere fuel additive. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-21          91578

It might be overkill, but I use a three step fuel treatment method. I add Sta-bil to the yellow cans before filling them with diesel. This cuts down on fuel oxidation and degradation. When refueling the tractor, I first add PS or JD fuel treatment to the tank, then refill the tank by pouring fuel through a water filtering funnel.

The reason I don't add the PS/JD treatment to the yellow containers is that they contain water dispersal agents (alcohol) that will allow any water to slip through the fuel filtering funnel. I don't think Sta-bil has these dispersal agents since the label doesn't say it does. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
paluvsjoshua

2004-07-21          91579

I use STA_BIL to all my gas equipment, I didn't realize that it can be used with diesel fuel also. If so can I use it along with PS? ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-21          91582

I have been using Sta-bil and PS together for over a year and it works just fine. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
plots1

2004-07-21          91587

Kwschumm, I don't think the power service has any alcohal in it. may be the other brand your using does but not sure as I only use PS. The PS is good stuff and it's priced fair I run it in my tractor and my Duramax. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-21          91589

I thought that water dispersing agents were primarily alcohol, but maybe not. The water filtering fuel funnel docs warn not to add water dispersal agents to fuel prior to filtering it. The PS bottle says that it disperses water in fuel, but it doesn't say what additive they use to do that. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
magnus

2004-07-21          91593

NO alcohol in PowerService "Diesel Kleen". http://www.powerservice.com/

Link:   

Click Here

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
TomG

2004-07-22          91609

I didn't think alcohol (at least methanol) is supposed to be used in diesels. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-07-22          91611

I've used power Service for years. Half rate in the summer and full rate starting in early fall. I use the Stabil in gasoline machines that don't get used real often and also follow my Dad's advice of shuting the fuel off at the tank so the carbrator will butn dry. seems to work fine. Frank. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
Chief

2004-07-22          91618

If and when alcohol is used in diesel, it would have to be Isoproyl alcohol as methanol does not mix well with diesel or kerosene. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
Chief

2004-07-22          91619

Allowing a carb. to be shut off from the gasoline without thoroughly running it dry drastically increases the risk of guming up the carb. even when using Stabil. Even if you run the carb. dry and let it set for any length of time in this condition still risks the shrinking and cracking of seals, gaskets, and the sticking of valves in seats. I have found that treating the gas in the tank with a max. does of Stabil and running it through the engine for several minutes and then leaving the fuel tank valve open keeps the carbs in the best condition and least chance of problems. There is always a small amount of gas that will evaporate and turning the tank valve off will allow for the carb to eventually dry out and cause problems. Leaving the tank valve on allows the small amount of gas that evaporates to be replaced and keep the carb. full of gas which in turn keeps all of the seals, gaskets, and valves in good condition. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-22          91628

Back to diesels..... Has anyone ever heard of over-treating diesel fuel?

It seems the more supplements I add, the better things run.

I have identified four needs fulfilled by fuel supplements.

First, the fuel needs to be kept free of bacterial growth.

Second, we all could use a little more Cetane.

Third, it needs help flowing in cold weather.

Fourth, When the sulfur went away, so did the lubrication for the upper cylinders and the injector pump.

Power Service seems to handle the first three issues. I buy my fuel in 50 gallon batches and I use the max dose of PS every time as that batch of fuel may easily span two or more seasons.

For the fourth item I rely on Red Line 85 Plus. That stuff will really make a cranky, smokey little diesel sit down and behave. The difference is truly remarkable. I have been using 1/2 bottle per 50 gallons.

With this program, my engines will start with the first revolution of the starter at any temperature I have encountered so far and there is virtually no smoke and minimal diesel clatter.

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-22          91648

On some of our jobs the stuff they deliver to us is supect at best, how they get away with calling it diesel is beyond me. We got one batch delivered to us in Exuma that was so bad the engines would not start on it, you had to use additives to light them up.

We use a LOT of additives when we are away.

Other than the price consideration I don't think that you could realistically over-dose the little beast. I think the first problem you might run into would be raising the Cetane to the point where you had pre-detonation from the lowered flash-point. I also think it would take a LOT of additives to get it to that point.

I know that on one occasion they put 4 times the recommended dose (two employees each not aware of the other double-dosed it) into a batch of fuel. It wasn't even noticeable.

Best of luck. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-07-22          91669

Cheif; I guess I've allways burnt the carbs dry cause Dad told me to when I was a kid. I had'nt thought much about the seals etc. drying out. Never too old to learn. Frank. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
JParker

2004-07-22          91675

What type of places carry the Fuel Filter Funnels. I found some online, but would like to have before the weekend if possible. Machine is just back from 50hr service and I don't want to contaminate the new filters.

I checked NAPA & Pep Boys online. No hits. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-22          91677

I've never seen one in a store around here. Bought mine online from Mr. Funnel. Somebody pointed out a less expensive online source somewhere but I can't remember where. CRS stinks. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
JParker

2004-07-26          91993

I didn't find one in time for the weekend, so I guess I'll order one. I did just find an online article comparing marine diesel fuel funnel filters people may be interested in.

Same juice, basically the same engine, looked like a decent article and we have a few marine stores around here I can check out.

Once it gets boring, just jump to the links at the bottom for the results.

Also, I found "Racor Fuel Filter Funnel" and "Mr. Funnel" Ken listed. Google finds both of them nicely.

I haven't gotten one yet, but any of them look like a great idea and may also help with the more than a little overblown Kubota FEL bar & fuel fill issue as well. ....

Link:   Deck-Fill Fuel Filters

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
jamesrm1

2004-07-26          91999

DRankin, I went over to the red line webpage, according to them they have a product that does what PS will. Any reason why your buying from two different manufacturers? ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-27          92031

I am probably into a "belt and suspenders" issue.

I use Power Service because it says it will control bacterial growth... although I hear that is a bigger problem in wetter climes.

I use 85 Plus primarily for its lubricating qualities for the injector pump and upper cylinders.

Which Red Line product are you looking at? ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
jamesrm1

2004-08-14          93501

I'm looking at Red line 85. I buy fuel 10 gal at a time. It might sit for 2-4 weeks. Since my last post I've purchaced the RL 85. From what I understand from the web site, (there are no instructions on the bottle, strange) I would add about 1 oz per 10 gal for maintanence. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-08-15          93579

That sounds about right. The 85 Plus bottle is 12 ounces and will treat 100 gallons at minimum levels. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-09          96049

The water filtering fuel funnel docs warn not to add water dispersal agents to fuel prior to filtering it.
=========================
Where can I get one of these funnels ? ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-09          96051

I got my funnel from mrfunnel dot com, but I think landandsea dot com is a bit cheaper. ....

Link:   Mr. Funnel

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-09          96056

Here is another place that sells them at about the cheapest price I have found. ....

Link:   Water Separating Funnel

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-09-09          96059

Sorry, when I said landandsea dot com I meant lakeandair dot com. Must be CRS and dyslexia combined :( ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-09          96060

Ken, I am constantly plagued with this dreaded illness. ;O) ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-09          96061

Better the CRS than that dread Hawiian Disease, you can't think clearly when you suffer from that either.....

Best of luck. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-09          96063

Murf, I think I got hit with a temporary case of the Hawiian Disease as well. My wife's father died last week and she had to fly to Germany to take care of his affairs. I am doing the "Mr. Mom" thing with our 3 daughters. It is only for 10 days but she is my BEST friend and I sure miss her. The Chief has been assigned duties washing laundry, cooking, driving to dance class & soccer practice, helping with home work, refereeing sibling battles, and house cleaning. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-10          96133

The Chief got KP!!...... NOOOOO ......LOL.

Oh well, 10 days until your next Liberty isn't too bad, I think we've both had to suffer longer, LOL.

Sorry to hear about your Father-in-law, I sometimes wonder whats worse, losing somebody close, or watching someone you love go through it.

I've had to 'suffer' through my little lady tending to her family away from here also, luckily (or not, depends on how you look at it) we don't have any kids, yet, just me and Deputy Dog (picture # 7) to hold the fort. Luckily we have the same taste in food, recreational activities and TV shows so it's quiet time...LOL.

Best of luck. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-09-10          96138

Murf! You eat Alpo??? ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-10          96142

Not very often, and he doesn't either, but if you've ever had any experience with a Terrier, let alone a Jack Russell, you'd know, you don't necessarily want to risk saying 'No' when he looks sideways at your steak and drools.

Actually, he's never eaten 'commercial' dog food in his life, none of my dogs have, my wife makes up a sort of stew for him. He probably eats better than a good percentage of the general public.

No wonder they call something cushy "a dog's life".

Best of luck. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-10          96160

I would have had Murf pegged for a fried Mighty Dog connoisseur when the mood strikes him and his little buddy. :O) ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-10          96168

Randy, I prefer fried Spam actually, with brown beans and fried potatoes, it's our traditional 'hunt supper'.

The hounds get all bent out of shape when you start getting into their Mighty Dog on them.......

Are you going to hunt that new place of yours this year? Itlooks like it would be good ground for that.

Best of luck.

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-10          96169

There are a LOT of turkey, deer, and coyotes. I may try taking a turkey this season. Right now, it is a full time job just keeping the crooks, and pochers off of it. I also have a TON of cleaning up and grass/brush cutting to do as well. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
Murf

2004-09-10          96171

If there are any homes nearby you may want to speak with those people, it's amazing how much 'guard duty' you can get in exchange for offering to let THEM hunt your land.

I do this with some vacant land I have, the guy even runs a blade over the driveway once a year and cuts the standing dead trees. He's so appreciative he even offers to share the firewood with me, cut, split and loaded in my truck!!

Best of luck. ....

Diesel Fuel Supplement

View my Photos
Chief

2004-09-10          96172

I have been busy working that angle as well. I just have to get to know the neighbors better. One of them I am pretty sure is who tore my fence down to drive threw the property. Been a lot of drug related problems in the area since it is so secluded too. Took the concieled firearm permit class and qualification range and turned in the paperwork last week. Scored 99.6% on the range.........wasn't paying attention and had a flier. :O) Doin' my best to be a good neighbor with the locals. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login