Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere Compact Twenty series

View my Photos
RTGrizzle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-01          89829

Does anyone have any information on the possiblity that John Deere is going to come out with a new Twenty series in the small chassis compact tractors (4010 - 4115)soon. I read a short blip about it on one of the tractor forumns. It referred to a new 3000 Twenty series (3x20). There was no time line given or any additional information about it but since I have been in the market for a tractor in this size range it immediately got my attention. I know that John Deere has the new 4000 twenty series out to replace their large chassis compact tractors. I love the size of the small chassis tractors that John Deere makes but wish they had more HP similar to the Kubota B series. Maybe they will make a small chassis tractor with a 30 hp. motor. I really like the power of the 790 but want HST which is not available at this time. If anyone has any info I would appreciate any information. If there is going to be a change soon I will hold off on my purchase. I have been leaning toward the Kubota B2910 because of the engine size and the HST but would prefer a JD if one was available in the same size and features.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
akanapa

2004-07-01          89831

The newest of the 4000-series Compact Utility Tractors is the 4120. With 43HP it's a nice tractor. EHydro is optional. Pretty pricy machine. Info and specs for the new 4000-series Twenty tractors is on the JD webpage, www.johndeere.com. I just checked it out because I had just bought a 4115 model. The 4120 is a lot pricier than the 4115. ....

View my Photos
RTGrizzle

2004-07-01          89833

I read about the 4120 but there was no specs on the JD web page. I believe that this tractor is based on a larger chassis size than the 4115. Can't hardlt imagine a 43hp. turbo diesel in a 4115 frame but I could be wrong. Just based on looking at the pictures I tend to think the 4000 twenty series is based on the larger chassis frame. Just would like to see them add a little more hp to the 4115. I think the 30 hp motor they have in the 790 would be about right. Just found the specs for the 4120 and in comparison of it to the 4115 the 4120 is about 2000 lbs. heavier. Must be a larger tractor. No specs on size comparison (wheel base, etc.). ....

View my Photos
akanapa

2004-07-01          89834

I have only 10 hours on my new 4115 and it's been a great machine for me. I originally purchased the 4010 but it didn't have quite enough HP so I upped it to the 4115. I agree they could add a few more HP to the 4115 and it would be a super machine at a reasonable price. The price on the 4120 is significantly higher than the 4115, so I'm satisfied with what I have. Maybe over time the price will come down. My dealer says it will be a long time before the twenty series is readily available. ....

View my Photos
RTGrizzle

2004-07-01          89838

I agree, the price of the new 4120 is way out of my ability and need. My concern with the 4115 is handling a 5' rotary cutter. A 4' is what the specs show but I already have a 5'.
Also concerned about the FEL (410) Specs make it look a little weak in breakout and lift when compared to the FEL for the 790 and 4310 (my dream tractor). If the 790 had HST it would be perfect for my need and budget. They need something to match Kubota B7800 and B2910. ....

View my Photos
akanapa

2004-07-01          89839

I don't think you'd have a problem with the 5 footer. That's what I was going to use but I eventually opted for a belly mower because of the many trees on my lot. As far as the loader goes, I run the biggest bucket made for the 410 and fill it to the brim and mounded over the top, and I have no problems whatsoever. Yea, I probably would have bought a 790 if it had the HST, but the 4115 has exceeded my expectations and I love the HST, 4WD, and the rockshaft control. ....

View my Photos
RTGrizzle

2004-07-01          89841

Thanks for the info. The 4115 is a great tractor, just would like to have a little more power or a little less price. My JD dealer is very proud of his and is about $1500 higher than the Kubota guy up the road when comparing a 4115 to a 2910. Honestly, they make a very nice living off of commerical mowers sales and repairs rather than tractors (we have a lot more golf courses then farms in North Atlanta!) and really seem to care less. Nice folks just not very hungry. ....

View my Photos
paluvsjoshua

2004-07-01          89846

akanapa - I should be getting my 4115 in very soon ....Glad to hear that your pleased with your machine... I went with the 5' rotary cutter and noticed on the spec sheet that it called for the 4' - but my dealer had no problem with this purchase and no quarms about whether the 4115 PTO would handle the 5' cutter... are you aware of any concerns others may have with the abilities of the 4115... I to have to cut waste high grass also with this tractor... hope she will do the job?? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-01          89848

My dealer just got a 4320 eHydro in stock and I went down to look at it today. A very nice machine - I really like what they did with the styling and the drivers station (parking brake, tilt wheel control, etc) and who can argue with 43 hp? It seemed about the same size as the large frame 4000 series, but they weren't side by side so it was a little difficult to compare visually. It would be too big for my needs, but a very nice machine indeed. ....

View my Photos
akanapa

2004-07-01          89850

paluvsjashua-
I have the 60" belly mower on my 4115 and it's worked perfectly, even in 4-5' grass. However, I've only run it now for 10 hours which included dirt work, mowing, loading and leveling. Not a lot of mowing yet. I can't imagine you having any problems with the 5' rotary. I've had no problems with anything yet. I met a new 4115 owner the other day. He bought the JD300 Post Hole Digger for his 4115 and says it works like a charm with a 24" auger. I wasn't sure the 4115 could handle that big an auger.

kwschumm-
It's interesting you say the 4320 has 43 HP. That's the same HP advertized for the 4120. Yes, very nice machines those twenty-series, but very pricey. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-01          89851

Sorry, my mistake. I don't know why I had 43 hp in my head. The 4320 has 48 hp. Even better :) ....

View my Photos
akanapa

2004-07-02          89899

Has anyone out there seen and/or tested a 4120?
I'm wondering how it compares to the 4115. I realize it has lots more power. I'm more interested in a comparison from an operator's perspective, like ease of use, install/removal of loader, placement of controls, esthetics, etc. Also interested in a size comparison. Last but not least, a true $$ comparison. JD took the 4000-twenty series prices off the website. ....

View my Photos
akanapa

2004-07-02          89902

Ahaaa. I was finally able to get the 4120 price on the JD web site. Would you believe $23,198 MSRP for the 4120 bare bones. Add $1200 for eHydro and you have a basic tractor for $24398, but no loader, no mower, no imatch, no nothing. Compare that to a bare 4115 for $16319 which includes HST, 4wd, mid and rear PTOs. That's eight thousand bucks for 19 extra horses. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-02          89904

19 extra ponies and another ton of steel. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-02          89908

JD sometimes charges about $500/hp for more power. By that measure it looks like JD is discounting them a bit. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2004-07-02          89910

I got a quote of $27,500 on a 4720, R4 tires and 400 loader.

Two years ago I gave 23,300 for a 4610, R4's, HST, MFWD and 460 loader.

4610 has 43 HP and 4720 has 58 ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-02          89912

Billy, are you gonna buy one? ....

View my Photos
Billy

2004-07-02          89913

Ken, I'm considering it but not real serious. I'd like to see more specs and the tractor before I make that decision. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-02          89914

Billy..... how does it compare when it comes to bells and whistles? ....

View my Photos
Billy

2004-07-02          89918

Mark, I haven't been able to find out much of anything about the 4720 except the net and gross HP and it's only available with eHydro. There's none around here yet and I haven't been in to the dealer to see if they have any literature on it. I just called and got a price. I did read somewhere that the new engine does have some good torque numbers and the total weight went up about 300 lbs.

Seems all the bells and whistles are tide in with the eHydro so I'm thinking that part hasn't changed.

I did notice that the powertrain warranty is for 3 years now, instead of 2. I think that's on all compact tractors though. Wonder when they changed that? ....

View my Photos
TimB

2004-07-02          89920

Because I had very specific requirements I looked cloesely at but rejected the new Twenty series - fortunately my dealer managed to track down a new 4710 in Vermont.

Actually there does not appear to be that many changes from the old 4510-4710 outside of the motor and the cosmetics of the hood. Most of the tractor aft of the motor is identical to the big 4000 Tens. I have a hunch the weight didn't actually change much if any if you squint at the fine print - I think the Twenty series lists with all fluids and a full tank - and the old number was dry or at least without fuel. Probably not much real weight difference.

The 'new' engine is probably the big plus (not really a new design, it comes from a discontinued line of JD skid-steers) is a little bigger, runs a little slower, and should have enough extra torque to notice. Also seems to have a BIG altenator standard so there's a lot of power for extra lights or a cab.

Looks like 95% of the same options are available, same seat, and mostly the same creature comforts although there are a couple of detail differences. Pedals now come out of the floor instead of being suspended. Biggest option changes - the DSCV joystick is now standard and the hitch draft control is discontinued. Most of the rest are still there, same price.

Tim ....

View my Photos
Billy

2004-07-02          89921

Tim, you're probably right on the weight diff but what I was thinking was the different engine made some of the diff. ....

View my Photos
TimB

2004-07-02          89926

Could be some engine weight in there for sure but I'm thinking it's not the whole 250 lbs or so it seemed at first. Tractor weights are slippery numbers in any case, seems like everyone has a slightly different way to measure.

Tim ....

View my Photos
Minerr

2004-07-03          89962

I moved up to the 4115 from the 2210. I have used if for moving snow, (54" front blade), blow snow, (Two stage snow blower), moving 1" stone & topsoil (53" loader), grading topsoil (5' rear blade), mowing heavy grass (60" MMM & 4' rotary cuter). It has 22 hours on it now and has worked great for all of this. I agree with the HP though be nice to have maybe 3 to 5 more, I think it has 1 hp more then the 2210, but so far has more then met my needs. I have also noticed very little if any talk about poblems with the 4115 on any of the tractor sites. Don't know if there are not that many out there compared with other models or problems are not posted or it is that good of a tractor. I guess time will tell. ....

View my Photos
paluvsjoshua

2004-07-03          89994

Minerr,
Congrats on the new JD 4115.. Would you recommend the blade over the rake for grading top soil, also do you have any hydrolics for the 54" blade and would you recommend the front blade for plowing snow of 1 foot and above over a 260' driveway.
Regards,

View my Photos
Minerr

2004-07-04          90017

I have not used a rake so can't say from that point of view, but would think for grading blade would be best. I have a 170' gravel driveway and the rear blade has done well for leveling gravel as well as topsoil.
Yes I have hydraulics for my front blade. What I would recommend is a hard question. Using the front blade is faster if you have a place to put (push) the snow. I do not have weights other then the ballast box loaded with bags of sand (bags so I can remove). I had some problems with my front end sliding sideways as the snow got deeper. I may need front weights to stop this???? I might say here too that I have R4 tires. I have seen some posts and would agree the JD front blade is a little small for the 4115 as far as the power but maybe not for the weight of the tractor??? In my area we had one storm of + 8" snow and driffing that is when I put the blower on. Blower worked well, lot cleaner job more control of where to put snow. I could realy put the snow out there 20-30' or so, but much slower and colder with the blowing snow. Also need to be carefull of the gravel driveway, blower can and will pick up stones, gravel and put it where you don't want it. That is mostly a problem with the first snow fall after that have a base of snow and ice over the gravel. I use the blade first or for light snow falls, so to have the gravel covered with snow/ice so less likely to pick up stones or gravel when put the blower on for heavy snow falls. With the quick change easy to change between to two, less then 5 minutes. The cost of the blower is much Vs the blade though. I have a blade, snow thrower setup on IH cub cadet 16HP I have had for 30 years and the combination always worked well. When getting the 4115 that is why I got both now much more power :-). With all this being said I guess I would say in my case if I was going to have snow over 1' a lot of the time and cost was not a problem and only wanted one item I would go with the blower. I know with a blower I can move almost any amount of snow and not be concerned where I put it can't say that about the blade.I hope this helped you, just my experience over the years. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-07-11          90544

It should be VERY interesting to see the future comments on the new 4000 Twenty Series machines as folks gradually purchase them. Personally, I am not so sure the extra hp will be money well spent in some cases as I have never run into a power problem with my 4410 in any but the most extreme of cases and just to see if I could reach that point. In just about every case the tractor lost traction before power became an issue. I prefer the more compact size of the 4410 as compared to the 4320 but I agree with Ken that more hp is a good thing! ;o) I would imagine the as the 4000 Twenty Series machines begin to populate the dealer lots and showrooms; there will be some really good deals on the left over 4000 Ten Series machines, especially the 4115's, 4410's, and 4710's. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-07-11          90557

Chief; I've not actually saw a twenty series other than pictures and product lireature, but I fully agree that I don't want to give up the mid frame size so far as being handy. The large frame models just look too clumbsy for my needs. Doing loader, backhoe, or any type of tractive work power has never been a problem with the 4310 or the 4410, I run out of traction first. Even tho the rated horsepower of the 43 and the 44 are pretty similar, after using both on heavy PTO work those extra ten or so extra cubic inches in the 44 do show up when that little extra is needed. I average about 6 to 10 hours per week with the MX5 or the Landpride 84 in. RMFM doing road ditch or field waterway mowing and what with the rainy spring and summer we've been having the grass sometimes gets ahead of me, so that's when the litle extra in the 4410 shows up. Work has never been so much fun since I've gotten those little tractors. Have a great week. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-07-11          90559

I agree, the large frame 20 series just released are too big for my needs. Sometimes even the mid-frame 4310 is a little tight in the woods. I have all the power I need, but like Tim Taylor more power is good :) Seriously, the only time I would have liked more power is with the backhoe when pulling stumps. Not a big deal, a few more bites and they always come out. I've never felt short of power for the MX-5, even when cutting thick patches of Scotch Broom. ....

View my Photos
akanapa

2004-07-12          90633

Our JD dealer told me on Friday that the Twenty series is an upgrade to their large frame tractors only. He said the small frame compact utility tractors (such as the 4110/4115, 2010, etc) will be upgraded in about three years. More power? Don't know.

View my Photos
Phil

2004-07-20          91468

Check out the Johne Deere website. They recently posted information on the new 4020 series tractors. Actually my grandfather just purchased the 4320. 48hp turbo and please note that these are not Yanmar diesels anymore. ....

View my Photos
jdioa

2004-07-21          91553

I was told the new 4X20 tractors replace the 45-4710 models. They have 10% more h.p. than the models they replaced. The 4720 is a new model entirely with more hp. I was told to expect the 3x20 series to be introduced later this fall and they will replace the mid or smaller frame models, not sure which maybe both? Help me out. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login