Go Bottom Go Bottom

More 2210 vs 790 questions

View my Photos
millers1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-28          89485

I 'signed up' for a 2210 last Saturday, but since delivery isn't until the end of the week, I can still change my mind. The 4100 / 4200 series are out of our budget. I drove both the 2210 and 790 and there's not much difference on the price between the two. I have not operated any implements with either.

The 790 is, IMHO, quite a deal but I'm concerned about it being gear drive. This rig will be used around the yard and not for any type of farm use.
I plan on doing some grading, digging post holes, and using the front end loader often, including digging and backfilling around the pole-barn. Is the Hydro trans on a 2210 a significant advantage over a gear drive on the 790 when it comes to using the loader?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-28          89490

You are trading the convenience of the hydro for the advantage of a full catagory 1 hitch. The 2210 and other sub-compacts are really nice machines, but you have to be ready for the limitations of the 3ph. They are "limited" catagory 1, which means some cat 1 implememnts won't fit them very well, or not at all. Many manufacturers have done a good job making implements available for these hitches, but they are still limited.

Take another look at the differences between the two loaders. I had a sub-compact, and also found the loader to be a little disappointing. I think you hear, my vote would be for the 790, but you need to size up your own situation. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-28          89495

Is Green you only option? Seems like Kubota might have something with all the features you want at a better price than Deere. ....

View my Photos
millers1

2004-06-28          89514

Yes, I'd like to stick with the JD's. I've looked over the Kubotas.

Guess I really want the 790, just wonder if I'll be shifting my butt off when manuvering the loader. As was stated, the limitations of the sub compact's attachments is a concern although it seems everything I want is available. On the flip side, with all the trees and obsticles on my lawn, if I ever want to cut with the 790, that would be a problem. Currently a lawn tractor is handling that chore.. ....

View my Photos
jedolson

2004-06-28          89520

I worked with a CUB 7260 last week, gear with 2 stage clutch. I also worked with a 4115 Hydro. No question the Hydro is more than a little convenient, however, with some practice the gear would become intuitive and no problem. The real problem on the 790 is the lack of a two stage clutch....that, for me, would be totally unacceptable. The limited 3pt on the 2210 is also an issue especially as you get downstream and start to think about new 'projects'. You'll want to sharpen your pencil on this and make sure the 2210 is going to work as you and your projects grow. ....

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-06-28          89521

Millers1, I have the 790 with the 419 FEL and a rear mount finish mower, with many trees as well. The loader and the RMF end quite a few feet to both ends but once you get a few hours in the seat you'll feel right at home, and you can always remove the loader. As far as the shifting with the loader I have not found it to be at all a pain. Now with 35 hours at the seat and have never taken the FEL off I don't even think about shifting. I doubt you'll ever be disappointed with the 790...
I went with the 790 over the other hydo's because I didn't think that I wanted my transmission controlled by electric switches... Plus the e-hydro wastes power...

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-06-28          89522

JEDOLSON, The 790 MFWD, does have the Two Stage Clutch.. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-28          89528

Make sure you drive a 790 with a loader installed before you commit.

It has a very compact operator area. Too small for me. ....

View my Photos
redwing

2004-06-28          89555

I like my 790 so far after right at 50 hrs on it. To mow I always remove the bucket only and leave the arms on the tractor. Only have to pull 2 hitch pins and tilt foward to remove the bucket. This gives me a much shorter turning radius. It also pulls a 6ft finish mower with no problem. Clutching using the loader is a little bit of a pain. My left knee will bother me after a while. (To much driving fork truck in early years) Don't hurt to get off and walk around a little anyway. You need to drive one and try First and Reverse in high range(They are directly across from each other so they work well together). This is what I use 95% of the time when using the loader, then if I have a ways to travel and it is smooth enough may shift on the fly into 2 gear (high range). Low range is to slow in reverse to do almost any loader work.I do most of my mowing in high range(5 th & 6 th gears) with 6 ft finish mower and 5 ft rotary mower. Field to rough to stay on the tractor above that. Go drive one, one of the local dealers had a sand pile to play with and that helps. be sure to let us know what you get. hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
millers1

2004-06-29          89598

All these comments help.. thanks. ....

View my Photos
millers1

2004-06-29          89661

Though about it some more and decided to get the 2210. Amazing how I spent more time 'deciding' on which tractor to get than I do when I go to buy a truck! Appreciate all the comments.

Now, I have some implement shopping to do! ....

View my Photos
jedolson

2004-06-29          89668

Oops ....my mistake...790 2WD and 4110 are Gear Transmission Driven PTO. The 790 4WD and 990 are Conntinuous Live PTO ....

View my Photos
dc

2004-06-30          89729

I've had my 790 for 3 years with 171 hours on it, used primarily for snow removal, brush hogging and turning over a manuare pile. I have no problems getting on/ off the machine (I'm 5"10 and 200 pounds) the only thing I wish I had gotten was a shuttle shift - so that I could move from forward to reverse w/o having to push in the clutch. Not a major issue, but a nice to have. No problems at ALL with the machine. Good luck! ....

View my Photos
auzzie

2004-06-30          89783

i've owned the 790 for 2 years now homeowner 7.5 ac. worked it with a rake, brush-hog, just got the backhoe. i love the machine. I really worked it with the loader most. i'm not
shifting alot with the loader. 3pt hitch is strong.good all
around machine but is light. be care full with all small
machines. i'm not familiar with the other machine your looking at. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login