Go Bottom Go Bottom

New 4410 - Tire Question

View my Photos
LonWall
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-03          87626

Well I broke down yesterday and bought a new 4410 with eHydro, a 430 Loader and LX6 Cutter. I own a small 7 acre horse farm with about 5 acres of pasture. I feel like a got a very decent tractor for my property. Can't wait for it to get here!

The question I have is that the dealer seemed to push the R4 tires and I'm a little concerned about traction. The lower half of my field gets pretty wet, my 430 lawn tractor gets stuck and the Ford 2000 I currently have (with R1 bar tires) leaves deep ruts. It seems that most people get the R4's and I was wondering what experiences everyone had with this setup. I believe the wider tire would be better, and the R4 wont tear up the ground as much, but I have read other posts about problems with traction.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New 4410 - Tire Question

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-03          87633

If the ruts your Ford 2000 leaves are unacceptable your best bet is the R4s. But there is no free lunch, the R4s won't work nearly as well as R1s in the wet areas, and they could plug entirely and behave like slicks. The R4s are a compromise, and like all compromises they don't excel at anything. Well, they can carry a heavy load. ....

New 4410 - Tire Question

View my Photos
lucerne
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-03          87634

Kwschumm is right, good for weight, if a lawn is wet I still tear it up if I go over it more then once when doing backhoe work. I have r4's. I would like to drop my hoe and go into the woods to yard out some logs, but, I'm afraid I won't get out. It drops 1 foot in 5 minimum. I used to go down in there with r1's on the Kubota. Can't use chains either because the tires are so big there is no room between the inner fenders and tires. In your case, the widest set of r1's might help. A second tractor might help me. ....

New 4410 - Tire Question

View my Photos
LonWall

2004-06-03          87637

Humm... the wider R1's sound like they may be a good option. I have horses in this field, which makes ruts a pretty bad problem.

The main reason I thought the R4's would be OK is that the wet area is pretty flat... but it is real wet! I drove the Ford 2000 through it last weekend and left 4-5 inch ruts... the ground was actually pretty firm . Last fall I was sinking a good 6-8 inches or more.

Does anyone have experience with the wider R1's in a wet field?

Thanks ....

New 4410 - Tire Question

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-03          87638

I have 12.4x14 R1s set as wide as they will go (see my pic 11). I've used them in fields of wet clay and traction is fine, but they do make a mess. I traded the R4s for R1s, sine the R4s were near useless in the same conditions. The R4s not only made a mess but there was almost zero traction. ....

New 4410 - Tire Question

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-06-03          87639

Kwschumm. I think the lack of traction makes more of a mess, maybe not deep ruts but any top soil or sod get torn up from the spinning or sliding sideways. With r1's you might indent V's but it doesn't rip up the sod. ....

New 4410 - Tire Question

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-06-03          87640

LonWall, The other day, in the rain, I was trying to backfill a waterline ditch on a very slight grade. When I just touched the bucket to the ground the tractor would stop because of spinning, had to back fill and grade with the backhoe. If I was paralel with the grade the tactor would slide sideways down the hill. With the Kubota and r1's that wouldn't happen, yes maybe it would have torn up the ground, but at a certian point torn up is torn up and it can't get much worse. ....

New 4410 - Tire Question

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-06-03          87642

Kwschumm, I think picture 4,5 and 6 proves the point about r4's there was no need to go as far as picture 7 to prove a point. ....

New 4410 - Tire Question

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-03          87643

Lucerne, LOL I can't actually blame pic 7 directly on the R4s. As I was backing up the hill, and just when I thought I made it, the soil gave way under the left side causing it to roll over. Of course if the R4s had decent traction I wouldn't have been at the bottom of the hill in the first place.

You're right, slipping and sliding with R4s does more damage than R1 tracks. ....

New 4410 - Tire Question

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-06-03          87644

KW, nice garage in the background of picture 11,very classic, a style that will look great 5 or 100 years from now. I like the roof shingles, the colors and paint scheme and from what I can see the overall design. I'm home designing a house today for a customer. Did you hurt anything on you or the tractor in that spill? ....

New 4410 - Tire Question

View my Photos
LonWall

2004-06-03          87647

Picture 7 does look pretty scary .

I just checked the Ford 2000 and it has 14.9-28 R1 bar tires, which is pretty much the same width as the R4 tires, but much better traction. The Ford is also a bigger tractor and I'm assuming somewhat heavier than the 4410. I have a feeling that there won't be much difference in how far I sink into the ground with R4 or R1 tires... but at least the R1 will get me out of a bind .

I think I'm going to call the dealer and switch to the 12.4-24 R1 bar tires... I just ordered the tractor yesterday so it shouldn't be a problem to switch. ....

New 4410 - Tire Question

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-06-03          87648

Lon, in most cases r4's are more. Open the conversation with how much extra are my r4's.They might have allready been on the tractor, thats why he recomended them. Find out what is standard for r1's on the tractor, the web site will tell you and then find out how much more the larger r1's are. The web site should tell you tire options and prices in the build my own section. Anyway, you should be paying less not more, and not paying for tire changes, they could hit you for two changes if your not careful.Good luck ....

New 4410 - Tire Question

View my Photos
LonWall

2004-06-03          87649

I checked JD's site and the wider R1's are about $20 more than the R4's that I had ordered.

I originally chose the wider R1 and the dealer talked me out of it with some story about R1 tires being harder to find.

The tractor I test drove was sold the same day and they need to order one for me... apparently when they come from the factory they are shipped with small R1 tires that are replaced by the dealer. So I'm assuming the switch should not be a problem... just needed to make my mind up pretty quick :)

Thanks ....

New 4410 - Tire Question

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-03          87650

Lucerne, thanks for the compliment. We were lucky enough to be able to design and build our dream house and we absolutely love it. It was inspired by the Craftsman and Arts & Craft styles.

When the soil gave way under the tractor's left side the left loader arm contacted a small doug fir tree, which very slowly got pushed over. This tree cushioned the fall and nothing was hurt on me or the tractor. The worst damage was when one of the battery caps fell off (apparently it was loose) and battery acid spilled out. Had to flush it all and get a new battery but that's small stuff. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login