Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

View my Photos
BRRanch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-31          87342

I have 20 acres, 15 or so that I will be maintaining. Looking at getting a FEL, rough & finish pull behind mowers.

Both are about the same price from my local Kubota and JD dealers. With the JD just a tad more money.

I am leaning toward the Kubota L3130. But this would be my first tractor purchase and I would really welcome any feedback.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

View my Photos
cerberus

2004-05-31          87357

I own a Kub 3130 and love it . But both machines are real close as to specs , ETC . There really isn't a lot in it as far as difference . Go down and sit on both machines , test drive them and see how they fit you . Your back side will tell you a lot ! Also give a good hard look at the dealer . When it's all said and done He'll make a big difference . Either way you go , I'm sure you'll be pleased with your choice . John ....

JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

View my Photos
petushead

2004-05-31          87361

Yes,

I agree completely test drive both machines for at least an hour. Better yet, rent one for your property (cost $150 day) You will never be sure you got the right tractor untill it is actually used on your property. The controls on these tractors are very different so be sure you test each one do not just read comments and look at them but REALLY get to know them. After purchasing a B2910 Kubota I have grown to dislike the loader joystick, seat, lever mechanisims and, unfortunately, it is unlikely I will be able to do anything about it now. (However, because I used a credit card there might still be hope in trying to get a full refund.) Do not make the same mistake TEST, TEST, TEST.

GOOD LUCK ....

JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-31          87367

The ergonomics seem to be the main points of selection between these tractors. Both are great tractors but many such as myself prefer the ergonomics of Deeres FEL joy stick and the twin touch ehydro pedals as well as brake pedal location. I am extremely pleased and satisfied with my 4410. ....

JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

View my Photos
blizzard
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-31          87379

This is a copy of my 01May2004 response to a similar question:

I am the satisfied owner of a L3130HST, now with 396 hours since mid August 2003. The machine has been 100% rock solid so far. Check out my pics and previous posts or for more big (slow on dialup connection) pictures see the link below. Just remember a CUT is not a bulldozer and work slow and safe.
Just my 2-cents
bliz
The only thing I would change is that the machine now has 468 hours.
A serious test drive of several competing models/brands is always a good idea. A single machine will probably not do all your tasks to perfection. My feeling is the 3130 size (Deere, Kubota, New Holland) are at the max for mainly lawn work, at least I wouldn't want to cut my lawn (~2.5A) with one, or drive over my leach field either.
bliz ....

Link:   Click_Here

JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-31          87395

When I was shopping I compared the same two machines. I ended up with the JD 4310 because I liked the ergonomics a lot better AND the dealer was far better than the Kubota guy. However, if the JD dealer was awful and the Kubota dealer was great I could have gone the other way. I've got nearly 100 hours on it now and have zero regrets. It's a great machine. ....

JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

View my Photos
StoneGate

2004-06-07          87957

I am just curious. Why did you buy a 4410 instead of a 4310? I am considering one of them and I see more 4310s than 4310s on the lots and discussed here. ....

JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

View my Photos
Chief

2004-06-07          87971

I went with the 4410 because I got an unusually good deal on it from a friend who sells them. Where is a heads up competitive choice; I would have gone with the 4310 hands down. There is not enough additional performance to justify the extra $1,500 in my opinion. Same goes for the 4710 vs. the 4610. The 4610 is the better value buy. ....

JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

View my Photos
StoneGate

2004-06-08          88010

Thanks Chief. That was my analysis as well (the extra $1500 isn't worth it), but it seems when you are deciding on these issues, you can't know too much. I am still deciding between the 4310 and the Kubota L3430 and it really is a toss up in my mind. I don't think the cost will differ that much, considering what a long term investment either would be. I am buying it to maintain 50 ac. consisting of 12 ac. of pasture/homesite and 38 ac. of woods. I will need to get around in the woods for forest management, including hauling out fallen trees/firewood, repairing wash-outs along the trails and blazing a few new trails. I will also have a 1/4 mile gravel road to maintain and will be installing a considerable amount of various types of fencing over the upcoming years. I plan to buy a 5' bush hog (size is limited because of the trails in the woods), 6' RFM, heaviest FEL available, chipper/shredder, box blade and post hole digger. Any advice on any of the above (types, brands, etc.) would be appreciated. It seems from what I have been reading on this site and others that there may be several hidden "extras" I should be considering that I may not find out about until later. It would seem a good idea to figure them out now and negotiate them when I have the most leverage with a dealer. So far, the dealers I have been dealing with all enjoy good reputations, so I am not sure that will make my choice one way or the other. I was almost sure I was going to buy the Kubota until I looked at the 4310 this week. Now I just don't know. Each has features that make it attractive versus the other. This is far more difficult than buying a car, I know that much.

Stonegate ....

JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-06-08          88015

Stonegate; I've got both a 4310 and a 4410 12/12 reversers. There is some difference but not earth shaking. I too like the controls and the comfort, the controls just seem to be where your hand falls a true joy to operate. Just looked at the 4000 Twenty series on the JD web. Unless they are coming with smaller models all of them are higher horse power than a 4410. We can have fun giving them a test drive. Frank. ....

JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

View my Photos
Chief

2004-06-08          88033

Stonegate, if you go with the Kubota, I would suggest the L3830 or larger. Better hp mix and for the uses you mention; a bit larger tractor might serve you better. I use my 4410 for pretty much the same tasks you do and have found that a bigger heavier tractor pull logs better. This does not mean the 4410 is not up to the task, it just needs a lot more weight. A 4610 might be something to consider. If size is the critical consideration as you discuss; just be sure you get enough ballast weight to get the tractor to pull well. ....

JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

View my Photos
StoneGate

2004-06-10          88213

Chief- in reading the specs for the 4000 Ten Series, I noticed something interesting about the 4410. While the displacement remains the same as the 4310 and the power only increases by 3 hp, the torque on the 4410 in considerably higher. In fact the torque on the 4410 is higher than the 4510 or the 4610! I once owned a Bluebird motorhome with a 6V92. It was terribly underpowered when fully loaded and running through the Rockies, but it still had decent torque and would pull all day long. When looking at many of the implements, and particularly the medium duty bush hogs, for a 60" 25 hp at the PTO seems to be the minimum. One could argue that the extra 3 hp at the PTO coupled with the significant increase in torque could extend the life of the 4410, especially if the the application would push the limits of the 4310 on a regular basis, but would create less of a strain on the more powerful 4410. My latest quote is about $1200 more for the 4410 similarly equipped. Heck, its only money, and these things are so darned expensive anyway, what's another thousand bucks or so. I appreciate your thoughts and I would appreciate thoughts of anyone who has gone through a similar analysis.

StoneGate ....

JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-06-10          88215

Stonegate: I just checked my tech manual for the 4000 ten series. the engine shown for a 4310 is the Yanmar 3TNE84 (bore and stroke 3.31 X 3.54 with 91.3 cu. in.), and the 4410 using the Yanmar 3TNE88 (bore and stroke 3.46 X 3.54 with 100.2 cu. in.). I've got both a 4310 and a 4410. there is a difference, I've been bush hoging some road ditches that got way ahead of me with all the rainy weather we've had, there were times the 4410 had a full load. Any machine worked to the max will wear out ahead of one that handles the task with a little to spare. Hope this helps. Frank. ....

JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

View my Photos
Art White

2004-06-10          88220

Stonegate the reason the 6v92 didn't do good in the rockies was lack of torque. Not that there weren't plenty of those double breasted Yamahas running around a few years ago but they didn't produce a lot of torque for hills like there newer 60 series engines. Any of the Kubota's you are steered towards are well built for years of service. That is what Kubota is known for as well as being the leader in this industry with more firsts of under there belt then the rest. While recently breaking in a smaller one on the dyno the tech who was working with it found it hard to believe the torque that it had and could produce so much horsepower below it's rated speed! ....

JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

View my Photos
StoneGate

2004-06-10          88259

Thanks Frank. I was reading a brochure from JD and the displacement shows the same at 91.3 for both the 4310 and 4410, and I just assumed they were getting more fuel to the 4410 and maybe tampered with the breathing a little. It is good to know the engines are in fact different. StoneGate ....

JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

View my Photos
StoneGate

2004-06-10          88260

Series 60--now there is an engineering marvel. I drove a Prevost with a 60 back in 95 when they were gaining popularity with the coach crowd. That thing would walk right up the Beartooth Highway and not even break a sweat! ....

JD 4310 vs Kubota L3130

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-06-10          88267

Stonegate;I do remember that too when the JD brochures listed the dispacement for both tractors being the same. perhaps the proof readers missed a spec or two. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login