Go Bottom Go Bottom

Grading with a 2210

View my Photos
aemiller
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-11          85796

I recently bought 35 acres that was logged about 5 years ago. There are still plenty of trees left, but there are several cleared spaces, about 2 acres total, that are lumpy from the logging. My question is: Is the 2210 very capable when it comes to grading? I want to level it out.

I was going to use a pull behind grading blade. I also have a gravel/dirt road that I will need to periodically grade. I am pretty new to all this and have a limited budget which is why I am looking at the 2210.

Any comments or suggestion on grading with the 2210 would be GREATLY appreciated!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Grading with a 2210

View my Photos
ScooterMagee
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-11          85802

With that much area, you are going to need something larger than the 2210. Don’t get me wrong, the 2210 is a very capable machine for its size. But, in my opinion, the 2210 is too small, lightweight, and under-powered for your application.

Also, the 2210 does not have “position control” on the 3ph, making grading with a rear-blade or box-blade, awkward and difficult, at best. ....

Grading with a 2210

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-11          85821

A 4310 would be a minumim size for that size property. May be larger. You could always finance it. ....

Grading with a 2210

View my Photos
beagle

2004-05-12          85876

A sub-compact is not going to service you well for what you want to do. They are great machines, but are limited due to the their size. You will find that for what you want to do, the rear and front wheels are too small, the 3-point is a limited Cat-1, and the machine will be too light to get the traction you need. I would think you should be in the L-Series Kubota, or 43-Ten Series Deere. A B-Series or 41-Ten would be the absolute minimum. ....

Grading with a 2210

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-05-12          85881

A bull dozer hired for a day is the best bet for the grading you are talking about. Then buy a compact to do the finish work. ....

Grading with a 2210

View my Photos
aemiller

2004-05-13          85954

I'm wondering if I didn't make it clear as to how much grading I need to do.

I am only concerned with grading about 2 acres. Do you think the 2210 is too small for 2 acres worth of grading? ....

Grading with a 2210

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-05-13          85960

This is only my opinion, but, I still believe that, if you’re planning on tackling the entire 2-acre grading project with only a 2210, you would be quickly disappointed. Once again, the 2210 is a very capable machine, but I would consider the 4110 to be the minimum, for your current project (and future projects on your 35-acres).

To date, I’ve used my 2210 for small grading projects, and still have about an acre to do some minor grading and leveling on. From what I’ve done so far, I wish I had bought the 4110. In fact, I’m currently talking to my dealer about trading up.

Grading with a 2210

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-13          85963

Maybe the problem here is NOT whether the machine is capable of grading 2 acres as much as it is "What do you call grading?".

If you are thinking of 'grading' as smoothing out the lumps and clods of soil left behind by the dozer, IMHO, yes it is capable of that with the right implements.

If, however, you consider 'grading' to be cutting or filling areas to acheive a final grade, cuts or fills that amount to more than 1" or so, then no, IMHO, you will not be happy with how much time and effort is required to accomplish that, but if you are determined, you COULD do it.

Best of luck. ....

Grading with a 2210

View my Photos
jedolson

2004-05-16          86160

Not only is the 2210 probably underpowered to properly grade the 2 acres but what are you wanting to do in the next few years with the 35 acres? I made the mistake of buying too little tractor and buying the wrong tractor...but I digress. Once you have the tractor your list of things to do with it will expand dramatically and I suspect the 2210 won't keep up...down the road you'll want to trade up. Look at your financing options to buy more now. ....

Grading with a 2210

View my Photos
Murray

2004-05-21          86523

Gravel road grading with my 2210 and a rear blade produced a very bumpy road. The front of the tractor goes up and the blade goes down. My answer was to make an angle iron square (4 foot) with a steel mesh grate in side. I drag this rig from the tractor hitch about 8 feet back and use two chains attached to the Imatch hook to lift the front edge of the grate just enough to empty the gravel build up at each end of the driveway. The result was great. One pass on each side with the blade angled to trim the edges and my road drains well and is smooth as gravel will ever be. ....

Grading with a 2210

View my Photos
Bubbaloo

2004-05-21          86558

Hey Murry could you post a picture of this DRAG that you made. Thank you. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login